Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 17:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 20:26 

imusrt wrote:
Cygus, you don't need to download & run fresh OvPatch with every game update. Only need to when game patch breaks OvPatch's patch. Which is not as often.

If anyone is interested in a severely minimalist HUD, read step #1 in below blog post. Makes HUD skin disappear, enlarging game-world view. It's for those of us with wide aspects & chunky HUD issue. It will look good for 21:9 or PLP (but will not fix LLL, their HUD is just too damn huge).
http://www.wsgf.org/blog/imusrt/2015/12/03/dota-2-2013-manual-plp-instructions

Blog post uses basically same method as OP, just different images.
Thanks Razed, great info.

OVpatch just never worked for me...

Everytime I use the OVpatch, my dota2 won't launch. it just Launcher Error, Failed to load the engine2 dll.

Either yours method or OP's method. I know how to fix it, but it breaks the OVpatch.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015, 11:05 
Insiders
Insiders

a82320, do you use x64 system? Do you run x64 Dota 2? Do you OvPatch x64 Dota 2?

If yes, you should try switching things up with these choices:
- Try x86 instead on all above. And in launcher: -32bit -addon mods (this still runs DX11, assuming your PC supports it).
- If that doesn't work, try x86 while enforcing DX9. In launcher: -32bit -dx9 -addon mods. That is what I used, & OvPatch worked. Didn't test the other scenarios.

If none of those work, could it be that your files or folder structure is different somehow? I had a fresh game install.

Curious of your results

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 01:47 

imusrt wrote:
a82320, do you use x64 system? Do you run x64 Dota 2? Do you OvPatch x64 Dota 2?

If yes, you should try switching things up with these choices:
- Try x86 instead on all above. And in launcher: -32bit -addon mods (this still runs DX11, assuming your PC supports it).
- If that doesn't work, try x86 while enforcing DX9. In launcher: -32bit -dx9 -addon mods. That is what I used, & OvPatch worked. Didn't test the other scenarios.

If none of those work, could it be that your files or folder structure is different somehow? I had a fresh game install.

Curious of your results

Yes, I am using a X64 Win10.

and Here is my result,
-Tried x86 OvPatch, launcher with -32bit -addon mods, same error,
-Verified game files, Tried x86 OvPatch again, and forcing DX9 as you suggested, same error.
-Just did an fresh install of Dota2 through steam, applied OvPatch, and still same error.

Guess I have to wait forever for Valve to update that then.
Error screenshot in the attachment:

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachments:
File comment: Error
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 11.84 KiB | Viewed 5966 times ]

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 08:49 
Insiders
Insiders

I wonder... this error may be implying that you're using a mix of x64 & x86 files. This could be the problem, not sure.
Did you receive this error when running x64 test? I am curious what error looks like for x86 test.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 16:16 

what do you mean with plp and lll ?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 02:08 
Insiders
Insiders

zipeldiablo, I mean that stripping HUD skin fixes layouts with wide aspect, but the fix will not be sufficient to fix a layout with SUPER-wide aspect. This is because game's bottom HUD area grows in height the wider you spread the game.

- PLP (Portrait-Landscape-Portrait layout) has a total aspect that is considerably wider than 21:9, but they are somewhat similar. In these cases, the bottom-HUD is large, but still small enough to remain fixable.
- LLL (Landscape-Landscape-Landscape layout) has very wide total aspect. So it's bottom-HUD is grown so tall you can't see around it to play the game. Stripping HUD skin will not make their game playable.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 08:47 

imusrt wrote:
I wonder... this error may be implying that you're using a mix of x64 & x86 files. This could be the problem, not sure.
Did you receive this error when running x64 test? I am curious what error looks like for x86 test.

no ideas, seems everything is good.

When I partch x86, which I used -32bit line later, the dota2 shows the same error, but in different folder(it uses 32bit version of exe, of course) , as seen in attachment. while 32bit got erros, without -32bit line, 64bit version is running normal.

When I patch x64, it's kinda different, both 32bit and 64bit version got errors, and same dll error from win64 folder, even when using -32bit line.

my conclusion, IM OUT OF LUCK... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

and fortunately, I guess I have to get used to that weird HUD . LOL, just try drag item to quickbuy then..

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 12.47 KiB | Viewed 5356 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 21:52 
Insiders
Insiders

a82320, sorry to hear this.
Maybe OvPatch used on Win7 x64 won't work with latest game-patched engine2.dll? Do you use Win7? There are couple other possibilities too, found in web search...

Win7 guess is from searching web for "dota 2" "engine2.dll". It brings up other people suffering from same error. They are not using OvPatch, but many use Win7 x64. Some say engine2.dll doesn't even exist when they go look for it.
E.g. some guy says "at the bin location there doesn't exist either a win 32 or a win 64 folder ".
Another variant, user fixed it: "to fix it i deleted my 'bin' folder, then verify system cache: go to game library -> r click dota 2 -> properties -> local files tab -> verify system cache."

Sounds like Dota 2 is not very stable, all these people complaining. Some suggest maybe firewall or anti-virus or corruption.
I used OvPatch successfully on Win 8.1 x64 (though only tested x86 game. Now running Win10, & game is uninstalled)

Search hit examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments ... _leads_to/
http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=144664

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 01:57 

imusrt wrote:
a82320, sorry to hear this.
Maybe OvPatch used on Win7 x64 won't work with latest game-patched engine2.dll? Do you use Win7? There are couple other possibilities too, found in web search...

Win7 guess is from searching web for "dota 2" "engine2.dll". It brings up other people suffering from same error. They are not using OvPatch, but many use Win7 x64. Some say engine2.dll doesn't even exist when they go look for it.
E.g. some guy says "at the bin location there doesn't exist either a win 32 or a win 64 folder ".
Another variant, user fixed it: "to fix it i deleted my 'bin' folder, then verify system cache: go to game library -> r click dota 2 -> properties -> local files tab -> verify system cache."

Sounds like Dota 2 is not very stable, all these people complaining. Some suggest maybe firewall or anti-virus or corruption.
I used OvPatch successfully on Win 8.1 x64 (though only tested x86 game. Now running Win10, & game is uninstalled)

Search hit examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments ... _leads_to/
http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=144664

I read them before, just have no idea what happen to the game. Just thank you so much for the help and explanation ,

If it is something I can't change yet, I have to accept it. lol, until then..wait for Valve..

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 06:16 

OK.. So for whatever reason, when I use OVPatch, I cannot use alternative terrain maps (winter snow map). I did extensive testing (reinstalling DOTA, doing 1 thing at a time, etc..), and as soon as I use OVPatch.exe the winter map stop functioning. How can I get this to play nice with the winter map ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next