Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 12:17 

Forgive me if this is already somewhere - I searched but couldn't find anything concrete.

I've ordered the Dell U3415W which is 3440x1440.

I will mainly be playing some old (really it's not that old) and I'm not clear on how these will perform on this aspect ratio. Some examples are:

• The first Assassins Creed and AC2
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Half Life 2
  • The first Crysis (this can hardly be classified as 'old' now can it?)
  • COD:MW a.k.a. COD4 (single player only)
  • Mirror's Edge (def not old but including anyway)

Well, you get the idea. What sort of gameplay can I expect. I'm not very hopeful for instant recognition of the 21:9 ratio but will it be possible at all?

If these games (and other like them) are stuck in a quasi 16:9 on the 3440x1440 what will it look like? Pillar boxing on the sides only making it an equivalent 16:9 27"?

Lastly, given that modern games that support these are not on my target list would it be a good idea to switch to the Dell U2913WM which has 2560x1080? Im guessing looking at skip's video review of it these slightly older titles will fare much better on it. Is this a safe assumption?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 12:47 
Editors
Editors

:welcome Protip: search "[game title] WSGF" in Google (or your favorite search engine) to find Detailed Reports in a jiffy :searchplease:

Some of those games require third-party hacks, but Half-Life 2 and Crysis are natively Hor+ in UWS. In HL², 3440x1440 should be listed under 16:9 resolutions.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 17:34 

Whoa! That's some really awesome SEO (or maybe I'm just new to finding stuff this easily).

Anwyay, cheers for the tip. I've certainly found all the info I need. I get how time consuming testing these games on different environments is so I'll be happy to try and provide some info for the missing 21:9 sections that some of these games I listed have.

Thanks!