Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 20:57 
Hi, I'm looking to mount three 27 inch monitors using a free standing desk stand, and Ergotech seems to be one of the only companies who makes such a stand, and so I have decided to buy one.

My question is besides the ability to mount a 4th monitor above the others is there any other differences between the Ergotech Triple Desk Stand with Telescopic Wings (100-D16-B03-TW), and the WSGF Ultimate v2 (100-D28-B15-V2). (The ability to have a fourth monitor mounted above the others is not something I would ever use). The WSGF stand is quite a bit more expensive, so is there some other reason to get it over the base Ergotech stand? I have the budget for either stand so if there are other tangible benefits to the WSGF one I don't mind spending the extra money to get it. Obviously though if the ability to mount a fourth monitor is the only big difference I would rather put the savings towards some other aspect of my setup.

Just for reference the three monitors I will be mounting will be two Dell U2715H's (which have very thin side bezels), and one Asus Rog Swift PG27UQ (once it's released and I can get my hands on one).

Any advice on which one I should buy would be appreciated, thanks.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 04:27 
Founder
Founder

The Ergotech Triple w/ Wings was originally spec'ed at supporting 26" panels. As displays got lighter and the bezels go smaller, they retroactively updated the specs to support 27". The WSGF Stand was designed from the group up to support 27" panels. The Telescoping Wings are not "solid" and use an adjustable mechanism on a metal plate. The 5-segment bar used in the WSGF Ultimate is complete solid construction, and it offers a sturdier experience.

You can see a comparison of the two bars in the image on the page linked below. You can see how the WSGF 5-segment bar is significantly larger. Additionally, in his review of the Triple w/ Wings, Linus from Linus Tech Tips points out how 27" panels *BARELY* fit on the bar. You're not able to get much of an angle between the monitors. The WSGF Ultimate allows for a 45 degree angle between monitors, so you can set them how you like. You can see an example of how the better support of 27" panels in the stand with the JayzTwoCents review, which is also on this page.

http://www.wsgf.org/article/wsgf-monitor-stand-reviews

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 21:58 
Thank you for the reply, I will be going with the WSGF version.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 04:43 
I have actually thought of two more questions if you don't mind. I currently only have two monitors as I wait for Asus Rog Swift PG27UQ to be released which will be my 3rd. I would like to get my two current monitors mounted to clear up some desk space, so my first question is can parts of the 5 segment bar be removed? I don't want the left side of the bar just sticking out with no monitor mounted to it, so if I could remove the left side of the bar, and have a clean look with just two monitors until my 3rd arrives at which point I would reattach the left side I would purchase the stand now. If not I still plan to purchase the stand, just after I get my 3rd monitor.

My 2nd question is do you offer any sort of discount for someone who doesn't need the bar that allows for the 3 + 1 configuration? I will only ever use the stand in the 3 X 1 configuration, so that bar would remain unused for me.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 15:04 
Founder
Founder

You can remove the outer segments, but you'll need to be careful when reattaching to avoid cross-threading the holes. The bolts are steel and the bar is aluminum (which is softer). I do it routinely when I make the bar for the Mega, but just be aware to take care when reassembling. You can also try folding back those segments to start with.

We don't offer a stripped down version anymore. We used to offer two versions of the stand. One with just the tall pole for 3+1 and one with just the short pole for 3x1. Those were priced $399 and $349 respectively. When we consolidated to one SKU to serve both options, we were able to get some economies of scale and price at $374. You're only paying $25 more than the old 3x1 stand. And I've had more than one person who said they would "never" got 3+1, end up doing it at some point. It would cost you almost $100 to purchase the additional parts from Ergotech in the future.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 16:13 
Thanks again for the responses, I think I now have all the information I need to go ahead and buy the stand in the next few days.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 06:38 
I have placed my order, can't wait for it to get here. Thanks again for your replies. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to get here!
:triplewide:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 15:22 

skipclarke wrote:
unispeed wrote:
Just wondering if my order went out 1383. Thanks

It shipped out today. I've just sent out the order updates, with tracking numbers.

Im looking at a 27" monitor that has really tiny bezels and doing a 5x1P configuration. I noticed that under the stand page it says that under that configuration the maximum is 15" wide. These monitors are 15.5". Whats the tolerance on that 15" spec? Do you think 15.5 will work by having the screens a little bit flatter?

In addition to the stand I just bought from you I have a standard ergotech stand with telescoping wings. Would it work to replace the outer segments of your stand with the telescoping segments of the stock ergotech stand? It should more than make up for those extra 2.5" above spec.

The monitor in question is this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ace ... ,4936.html

Attachments:
Vert.jpg
Vert.jpg [ 22 KiB | Viewed 3736 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 15:49 
Founder
Founder

That config will be too heavy for the WSGF Ultimate, and the weight distribution will give problems. Along with being too wide. I've just re-added the Mega and the Mini Mega to the store. I've been out of stock on the custom parts needed to make them. I now have the parts on order, and an ETA on when I can ship - so I've added them back to the store.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 22:04 

skipclarke wrote:
That config will be too heavy for the WSGF Ultimate, and the weight distribution will give problems. Along with being too wide. I've just re-added the Mega and the Mini Mega to the store. I've been out of stock on the custom parts needed to make them. I now have the parts on order, and an ETA on when I can ship - so I've added them back to the store.

holy cow those stands are big! but also beyond my current budget, lol. In any case it looks like the bar that spans it is the same, just modified to be supported in 2 spots. Also I noticed that there are some that are doing it on these very forums with the single pole stand. http://www.wsgf.org/node/22352 I dont mind if the arch is not as tight, I just wanted to know if it was possible and also if a 15.5" width would in practice work with the included bar. I also muuuuuch prefer the look of one foot on the desk as opposed to 2...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next