AMD Eyefinity Users
NVIDIA Surround Users

Forum Posts: 7451
Articles: 504
Blogs: 21
Game Reports: 166
Media Galleries: 7
News Reports: 281
Please see this forum post regarding stand availability.

You may be familiar with our Wall Mount Kit. It's a great option to reduce the footprint on your desk. However, it's not feasible for many users. It could be that your desk isn't up against a wall, or that your in a rental where you can't drill into the wall. To that end, I've worked to develop a through desk mount.

Ergotech does offer a through desk "grommet mount", but it is only designed for single or dual monitor installs. A couple of users have created homegrown mods for through desk mounts. And while they had proven that a through desk mount works, they weren't optimal for a finished product.

The solution of our through desk mount solves the issues that I felt needed to be addressed - weight distribution, stability, long term feasibility and aesthetics. All of these issues are touched on in the YouTube video detailing the new option.

The WSGF Through Desk Mount is made from PEEK. It is upcycled from remnants that would otherwise be discarded, and end up in a landfill. PEEK is comparable to Aluminum, but is much lighter and offers a much better strength-to-weight ratio. The piece is custom made and hand milled at a local machine shop, so this purchase also helps me support other local businesses in my area.

The kit includes:
  • Desk Mount Plate
  • 4x 5mm/.8 50mm bolts
  • 1x 8mm/1.25 50mm bolt
  • Washers for associated bolts

Shipping & Handling

For detailed information, please visit the Shipping & Handling page. This page provides further S/H details, including which countries we ship to. PLEASE NOTE: Customers are responsible for any import taxes and fees required. These fees or taxes are not included in the product price or shipping costs.

Shipping costs for this item are as follows:

US CAN US APO/FPO ANZ EU UK ME JP/HK
Cost +$10 +$10 +$10 +$15 +$10 +$10 +$10 +$10
Ship Method USPS Priority (Domestic or Global).

Disclaimer

This mod is *NOT* supported by Ergotech, and is not warranted by Ergotech. If other hardware fails, Ergotech will honor the warranty of those parts. However, they will not warrant improper installation of this option. Additionally, the WSGF will not be held responsible for improper installation. As of January 2016, this option has been in the field for more than two years, and used by more than two dozen gamers. There has yet to be a single reported failure.

Installation

This product must be in a solid desk top - either wood or metal. It cannot be installed in any "hollow core" desk top. The included hardware is designed for a 1" desk top. If your desk is measurably thicker, you will need to secure bolts longer than 50mm.

If your desk is measurably thinner, you should seriously consider your desk's ability to handle the installation. If you are confident, you will need to secure additional washers or shorter installation hardware.
  • USE COMMON SENSE
  • ENSURE YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS AND/OR GET KNOWLEDGEABLE HELP
  • Remove the collar from the base, by removing the four screws from the bottom of the base.
  • Using either the base, or the through desk plate, find your installation spot on your desk. Ensure you have enough clearance around stand for setup.
  • Ensure one hole points "forward". Mark the four outer holes. Use a straight edge to draw connecting lines, to find the center hole.
  • No turning back now.
  • Drill holes through your desk, slightly larger than the 5mm and 8mm bolts.
  • Find help to assist either on the topside or underside of the desk.
  • Place the collar on the desk, and hold the plate on the underside. Feed through the four 5mm bolt/washer pairs, and start each one.
  • Once started, finger tighten each 5mm bolt on the outer edge.
  • Place the pole in the collar, and start the 8mm bolt/washer pair.
  • Tighten all bolts with a hand wrench or ratchet. Do not use power tools.
  • Once pole is installed, test by hand to ensure that the pole is installed securely and that the desk can handle the load.
  • Follow PDF Installation Instructions to install bar and mount monitors. PDF is for "Base Model" HD Stand from Ergotech

Please see this forum post regarding stand availability.
Last edited by skipclarke on 30 Aug 2017, 05:19, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: Edit
I3ig Al

Forum Posts: 4
Hey there, I had a couple questions about mount stability before I buy. I am concerned about wobbling being an issue. Currently I have two Dell U2515H monitors mounted to the Dell MDS14 Dual Monitor Stand wich I enjoy very much because it is rock solid, the monitors do not shake at all even if i bang on my desk. In the past I had tried a gas spring style edge clamped monitor stand and the monitors would start wobbling with vigorous typing, let alone any major bumps to the desk.

I just picked up an Acer XB271HU 27" to go in the middle of the two 25", and Ergotech is back on the radar. My question is, how much wobble should I expect as "normal"? obviously if I pound a fist on the desk then nothing will stay perfectly still, but can I expect most day to day activity not affecting the monitors?

My second question is about the Thru Desk mount upgrade. I am in the middle of building a computer desk out of solid oak kitchen countertop, copying this desk:

http://i.imgur.com/r9DJOyO.jpg

The countertop is 1 and 1/8 inch thick, and I want to know if this is thick enough to support a 3+1 setup or should I play it safe and just stay with the wide plate foot.

EDIT: embedded image was humongous, changed it to just a link.
skipclarke
Founder
Administrators
Like a Boss
21x9 Users
AMD Eyefinity Users
NVIDIA Surround Users

You should be fine on both accounts. Many people have used the desk with four 27" panels, in a 1+3 configuration. I've personally used the Thru Desk with a 34" ultrawide flanked by 25" panels. It was rock solid.
I3ig Al

Hey Skip, thanks for the response and sorry on delay getting back on here. been a crazy week, and due to car trouble i can no longer afford the stand for a month or two, but I still intend to get one when I can.

Couple more questions if I may, and please dont take offense, there is no hidden agenda just want info if possible.

The Ergo Freedom triple with telescoping wings is priced at 200$ and the WSGF Ultimate is 375$. Can you give some info on the price difference? I am assuming its mostly to cover your own time invested.

I have decided that I will almost never do 3+1, only the bottom three, most likely I would mount a large TV on the wall above. If possible, could I have a custom invoice done and remove the long pole and extra pivot to bring the price down a little?
skipclarke
Founder
Administrators
Like a Boss
21x9 Users
AMD Eyefinity Users
NVIDIA Surround Users

I completely understand on both fronts. I'm having more car trouble this week, and there is a decent price differential between the two stands.

I'll start by saying that the Triple w/ Wings hasn't always been that cheap. They have brought the price down in the last year or so - probably do to more volume sales through Amazon. Previously they used 3rd party online stores, and that ate into their profit margin. They can bypass those folks and lower the price. That is one reason that the WSGF stand is more expensive. Ergotech makes a profit when they sell it to me, then I make one when I sell it to you.

The other is that the "standard" Triple and the Triple w/ wings are made in FAR higher volumes than the WSGF Edition, and thus they get more economies of scale in the production. The "5-segment" bar that is the core of the WSGF Edition is produced in much lower volumes, is more time consuming to make, and thus commands a higher price. They sell the "standard" triple bar in their online accessory shop (at a profit) for cheaper than what they sell a 5-segment bar (when I buy extras for upgrade kits).

At one point we did over a "Triple XL" that had only enough hardware for a single row of monitors. That was priced at $350. That's about as good as I could do. Since I no longer sell a "+1 upgrade kit" in the store, I no longer have a need for these parts. If you ever changed your mind, it would much much more expensive to buy the parts back. Let me know.
I3ig Al

Totally understand volume discount and everyone making a profit, don't know why it slipped my mind because that's what I do all week long in WoW.

and for 25$ you are right, I think I would rather have the extra bits on hand just in case, I lose more in a weekend of dumb mistakes than that. Still on the fence about drilling my new oak countertop desk for a Thru Desk but I will definitely order the stand!

Thanks again for being an awesome guy sharing his passion with everyone!

Return to Monitor Stand Store