Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 22:59 
Insiders
Insiders

I know this is "old news" to some people, but I bet some people will greatly appreciate this. If you are a true RPG fan, like I am, you will no doubt be very gladly about it as this game is ageless.

I remember playing the game a couple of years ago, when it lunched so much and enjoying every second of it. At the time I was having only one monitor so everything looked right. Recently after finishing Dragon Age 2 for the 6th time, I wanted to revisit the place where "it all begun". So Dragon Age Origins found it's way back on my Hard Drive yet again. Sadly the Eyefinity/Surround support Bioware gave to the game is "nice" but in the end broken and unusable. Therefore, I thought about creating a fix for the game in order to be able to play it again in all its glory in 3D Surround, which means the default UI simply would not cut it.

Sadly, as I was very busy lately with a lot of other stuff going around, my work on this fix was done over across a big length of time. The fix was initially created as an "in-house" fix and I wasn't planning to make a public release of it, but since I like the way it looks I thought to share it. The greatest challenge was to figure the mouse coords. Since the UI is interact-able this was needed to be fully functional. However the location of the top most left position is hard-coded in the engine and I couldn't find any way of nicely changing this. So I had to work around it.

Another problem was with the marker line-up. The exact same resolution value is used for both the UI and the marker UI. Correctly altering this was also tricky. This is the reasons why the markers only show on the middle screen (since the resolution of the UI was down-scaled to one monitor)

Bare in mind that is not 100% flawless and some "small" annoying things exist:

Fixes
- UI/HUD completely centered on the central monitor.
- Inventory and menus fully working
- In-game skill bar, party portraits fully selectable and usable.
- Markers perfectly lining with the objects.
- It does NOT fix the problem with the speedTree drawing distance found in the game.

Minor annoyances
- During conversations dialog options cannot be selected with the mouse (actually they can but the "logic" location of the buttons is on the right monitor) but can be selected with the keyboard.
- During party selection menu, companions cannot be selected with the mouse (actually they can but the "logic" location of the buttons is on the right monitor)
- Markers are only shown on the center monitor and not the peripheral ones.

For all of the above, disabling the plugin making the selection and re-enabling the plugin does the trick. For convenience you can bind the middle mouse button (only) for a quick toggle between modes.

The plugin will work only with the latest version (1.05) on both Steam and Origin

Please feel free to test the plugin using WideScreen Fixer and share your opinions below;)

Best Regards,
Helifax

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

Last edited by helifax on 01 Jul 2013, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 23:23 

nice work!

will there be a fix for DAII as well? I cannot play DAII @ bezel corrected resolutions because the monitor edges would block part of the inventory UI~

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 00:51 

This is totally awesome Helifax! Thank you very much.

The only problem remaining is the tree drawing distance. Do you have any clue how this might be fixed also?
I'm wondering if the aspect ratio could be altered, if that might solve the tree drawing issue.

Even so, I really appreciate your work and posting this plugin for us!

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 15:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Hounshell wrote:

The only problem remaining is the tree drawing distance. Do you have any clue how this might be fixed also?
I'm wondering if the aspect ratio could be altered, if that might solve the tree drawing issue.

I know the damn speedtree distance is driving me insane also.... the damn foliage is the only one that does this...
I tried to find a way to increase the draw distance but so far I am going totally blind here...so I have no idea what I am actually looking for:))

Glad to know that you like the plugin.

Yes, initially I started with DA2 and then moved to DAO. I have fixed some things in DA2 but not all yet... If/when I will finish the DA2 fix I will post it here...but it is on my radar...
The only thing that is currently not working in DA2 are the damn markers again...aligning them proves to be a difficult task...

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 00:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Hounshell wrote:

I managed to also fix DA2....So far several tests to see how it behaves and found only 1 potential big problem with it.... I will explain more when I will finish implementing the fix:)) But DA2 will also come;))

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 03:42 
Insiders
Insiders

it was actually the disappearing trees that I hated, it really put me off the game :/

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 04:33 

Guess it's time for another DA:O playthrough. Thanks heli.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 08:29 

helifax, you wrote;
"I remember playing the game a couple of years ago, when it lunched so much.."

" lunched " ..you must have been hungry at the time, ya?

launched..?

Cool work. I am goin to have to re-install mine, but not when I'm hungry.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 14:29 
Insiders
Insiders

ChainMale wrote:
helifax, you wrote;
"I remember playing the game a couple of years ago, when it lunched so much.."

" lunched " ..you must have been hungry at the time, ya?

launched..?

Cool work. I am goin to have to re-install mine, but not when I'm hungry.

:)) Little type there... but I do remember being "hungry" or quality RPGs at the time (as always) so I guess both words work in this context:)

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 22:58 

Hey helifax great work, i've downloaded the plugin and i'm using it with the latest widescreen fixer v3.4 r703 but when i run the game with it its still not working. Also widescreen fixer says fix enabled = no.

Any help would be much appreciated :)