Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 23:20 
Administrators
Administrators

I decided to create this video to take a more balanced look at how much of an advantages a multi-monitor system gives in strategy games like StarCraft 2 and MOBAs like DotA or League of Legends, and whether or not it's reasonable to call it an unfair advantage. The game in the background is StarCraft 2, original resolution was 5040x1050 aspect ratio of (48:10). The video shows a replay that was original played on a single monitor, only the replay is being shown on a multi-monitor resolution.

Direct Video Link: Multi-Monitor Gaming, an Unfair Advantage?! (RTS and MOBAs)
Channel Link: /n11skid

While this video can be watched on any screen it has been encoded to look best on a multi-monitor system, so if your running such a system, then select original quality from the drop down box and watch in fullscreen. Note: You Tube has been relabelling the quality settings of my videos, if "Original" and 720p are missing, then 1080p is actually the 4K video, and 480p is the 1080p video. If You Tube doesn't correctly swap the quality when you select it, then please try this link, then set the player to the highest quality available: http://www.skid-inc.net/youtube.php?v=b_YDkDRpmRY

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Last edited by Skid on 26 Jun 2013, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 05:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Another great video as always Skid - now just submit it to all RTS dev's so we can get support. I normally don't argue against people that don't understand multi-monitor gaming because they are obviously not intelligent enough to do their own research, because if they did look into it, they would realise that it's about immersion and you gain no extra real benefits/edge in games.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 08:15 

yes, more screen does give some advantage.
Just as someone playing on a 30 inch 1080p monitor has over someone with a 14 inch 1024x768,
Just as someone with a pc that runs at 60fps has over someone that plays at 30 fps.
Just as someone with low ping internet has over someone with slower high ping.

But that's what drives development of pc tech. If it wasn't for things like these, then we would probably still all be on 14 inch 640x480 screens.
As for consoles? If it wasn't for the progress of pc tech, we would still all be using a snes instead of looking forward to ps4 and xboxone.

Wanting bigger and better is good for all gamers as it leads to progress.
Mind you, i play on 3 42 inch screens at 6000x1080, and i still suck at most games, but i dont care as i'm having more fun.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 08:16 

To be totally honest I don't use my surround for RTS games for the most part. I find it more of a hindrance than an "unfair advantage". Due to the HUD position, how the side monitors have stretched images, and lastly because a lot of movement in my peripheral vision is more distracting than helpful. I almost always play on just my center screen and never miss the surround. On the other hand with 1st (BL2) and 3rd (Rift) person perspectives I go batsh@t crazy if I don't have my surround.
For example when I ever I put Borderlands 2 into windowed mode to enter a shift code and then go in game, I can't even stand the run to the golden key loot chest with just my center monitor. It's such a weird feeling, almost like I'm gaming in the nude. Yet when I'm actually playing in surround I don't really look towards either side monitor all that much. I was even one of the people so disappointed when I saw how distorted each side image was. I thought I'd made a big expensive mistake. :doh:
Now I know what it really delivers, SWEET SWEET IMMERSION. :rockout:
Why is it so very very hard to make developers and gamers that have never tried it understand what surround does for game play?

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 08:55 

It's just stupid really. I mean If tripple monitor setup give you an "unfair" advantadge, then a 16:9 monitor also give you unfair advantage because they're people playing on 5:4 monitors. And they should ban everyone with good internet because it gives you an "unfair" advantage. This whole mess is just made up by people who cannot play well so they need to blame something for their lack of skill.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 10:58 
Administrators
Administrators

matticitt wrote:
It's just stupid really. I mean If tripple monitor setup give you an "unfair" advantadge, then a 16:9 monitor also give you unfair advantage because they're people playing on 5:4 monitors.

Agreed, also stereo sound vs surround sound where one can hear the direction of footsteps etc.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |