Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Warpalizer Blog
PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 13:00 

Hi everyone! This is my new blog on WSGF. I've been following the site for years, and now that I work with Warp and Blend software I think it was time that I made a blog. This blog will contain build details and upgrades on my personal curved screen system, some commercial screen systems that I've worked with and most of all description, pictures and videos on how to easily use Warpalizer with games and applications.

I'm Marius, 27 years old. I live in a little town/place called Sokna (Population: 537). I work at Univisual Technologies AB office in Drammen, the ninth biggest city in Norway. At Univisual I work with Warpalizer. I do testing, support, some sales, some developing and I help when we have to design and do big installs. Please bear with me, I'm pretty new in the game. I have a advanced craft certificate as a Process operator, I'm not an uber genius projector technician.

The ball started rolling started when i still was in my previous work, I worked as a CNC Operator so I had access to a very good MIG welder, some manual and CNC lathes, and of course my good old Kryle CNC milling machine. I proposed a idea for my boss, a curved rear projection screen for home-entertainment with the possibility for DLP 3D. My boss was awesome about this and thought this was a cool idea, we didn't have a lot to do at this time.

The rear projection screen project was named XIS (eXtreme Immersive System). The screen had a radius of 1.5meter, almost 90 degrees of curve if you was standing in the "middle" and was around 2x1.2meter. I used a first surface mirror on the rear side which I made the curve 100% so the image was good on the screen, "manual" warping. Hehe. I used a Optoma GT750 projector with 3D DLP glasses, worked awesome. But the project sadly came to a standstill. My boss and I didn't come to a agreement on the design and how to mass produce the screen. So it was back to the CNC Milling, it was a major letdown.

So after a series of meetings with some of the people thats working in Univisual, I had a new job. I actually belive my previous boss has the rear projection screen I made at home now. Hehe. Well, enough about me!

If you have any questions about Warpalizer please do not hesitate to ask me.

Which games and applications would you like to see tested and configured with Warpalizer?

At the moment this is the list of the games that I've tested with Warpalizer:
Press button to show list.
Spoiler:
Assassins Creed 3
ARMA 3
Battlefield 3
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Call of Duty MW3
Cities XL
Crysis 3
DIRT 3
Dishonored
F1 2012
Far Cry 3
FIFA 13
Grand Theft Auto 4
Hitman Absolution
iRacing
League of Legends
Live For Speed
Max Payne 3
Metro Last Light
MOH: Warfighter
NFS Most Wanted
NFS Shift 2
RaceRoom Racing Exper.
Simraceway
Skyrim
Tomb Raider (2013)
WRC 3

Best Regards,
MariusRead More

Last edited by marius@warpalizer on 27 May 2013, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Warpalizer Blog
PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 19:59 

Hi Marius,

Thanks for starting this blog. I'm just about ready to purchase warp and blend software for a "less dramatically" curved screen with 2 of the new BenQ 1080p short throw projectors.
My initial search for Warp and Blend software leads me to a bunch of packages, but Warpalizer seems to be the most popular. My screen has a 10'-2" radius, is 12' wide by 5' tall - so it only comes in about 2' on the sides.

A question I have is what about focus? My initial tests things got a little blurry but not too bad, and well within the needs of games. I was wondering if Warpalizer has the ability to adjust for focus.

Thanks,

Dennis

Post subject: Re: The Warpalizer Blog
PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 20:36 

dblair871 wrote:
Hi Marius,

Thanks for starting this blog. I'm just about ready to purchase warp and blend software for a "less dramatically" curved screen with 2 of the new BenQ 1080p short throw projectors.
My initial search for Warp and Blend software leads me to a bunch of packages, but Warpalizer seems to be the most popular. My screen has a 10'-2" radius, is 12' wide by 5' tall - so it only comes in about 2' on the sides.

A question I have is what about focus? My initial tests things got a little blurry but not too bad, and well within the needs of games. I was wondering if Warpalizer has the ability to adjust for focus.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks alot! :)

You may have problems with focus. On my personal curved screen I use Vivitek QUMI Q5 projectors, they have plastic optics so the first time I started them I couldn't get focus at all. After 15-20 minutes I got the picture nearly perfect, and my screen has a "dramatically" curve.
If you can't get the projectors focused, you sadly can't use software to get the projector picture in focus. Most of the lens optics in projectors are designed for flat screen. So when we are using curved screens there will be different focal distance from the lens to the projection plane. But you should be able to get it good.
Have you tried to play around with the curve on the screen, and projector placement?

Send me a mail on [email protected] and I can send you demo software for Warpalizer, so can you test it to see if it satisfied your needs.

Thanks!
Marius