View topic - Review: Benq FP202W

tgx

yeah, i read that article, but i didnt understand exerything, maybe ill go through it with a dictionary :)

so im goig to check the sticked topics.

thanks.
nacho_wide

Hey! I just got my WS system all set up, it's awesome! I tried playing some NFSMW though, and I think 1680 X 1050 might be a little much for my system (AMD 3700+, eVGA 7900 GT, 1 gig ram). I tried scaling it down, as mentioned in previous posts, to 1440 X 900, but only begins to load then boots me back to windows. I use the hack by Paddy the Wak. I have already gotten a custom resolution using the nvidia software to run 1440 X 900 in windows, but why doesn't the game work? Any thoughts?
hyden

nacho_wide,

NFSMW booting back to desktop has nothing to do with your system. It's a known bug for this game. I m experiencing the same thing and i m still looking for a solution.

It's a nice game and it's a pity this has to happen. :(
Flashman

I have this monitor as well, and I'm extremely happy with it. Mine makes no noise whatsoever, has no problem with lines on the edges, and has no dead pixels. I was only able to produce some ghosting in F.E.A.R. by moving the mouse back and forth as rapidly as I could, just to see if I could cause any ghosting to happen. In regular gameplay I noticed none, though I can't say for sure that there wasn't any. I won't go so far as to give it a number score since it's both my first widescreen and my first LCD.

I am having a bit of trouble getting used to a monitor that handles only one resolution really well, but if you have a GPU powerful enough to handle 1680x1050 in all cases, I wholeheartedly recommend this monitor (I don't know where the line would be for that, but my 7900GT seems to do ok).
gryfon

i've read the thread from the top, and still doesn't find an answer whether this monitor will provide 4:3 black bars solution using software :(. The OP said that he would look into it, but i can't find a follow up post regarding this matter. I must ask this because i can't seem to find definite answer about this black bars solution (with any widescreen monitor, not just this one), some said it works, some said it doesn't, and i'm planning to buy this baby.. so i need to be sure.. cause this monitor will costs a lot of money for me :oops:

So please guys.., to anyone that have this monitor, did you find a way to use 4:3 aspect ratio resolution with black bars ? if yes please, please tell us your vga card, your connection (if d-sub can do it too, though i doubt it), and your method to achieve this, whether using driver control panel, registry tweak, or powerstrip, etc.

thx a lot

regards,
gryfon.
ctrlsteef
Editor Emeritus

:welcome

The best way to help you is when you tell us what your VGA card is first.

If we know that we can help you very easy, it's like this.
If you have a NVidia card you can get black bars.
If you have an Ati card you cant.

For further info on this matter please read the following thread that covers this matter.

How To: Game With Black Bars (non-widescreen)?
gryfon

@ctrlsteef,
thx for a warm welcome..

my current vga doesn't matter because i plan to replace it (it only has 1 dsub output, while i planned to have 2 display using fp202w and my old crt). That's why i ask the result of you people that already have the monitor. But if you must know, it's a geforce 2 mx400

BTW you said on ati you can't get perfect scaling with black bars on the side. Just for info, i have a widescreen dell laptop (inspiron 9100) with an ATI mobility 9700. And when i tick scale while maintaining ratio, *i do get stretched image with black bars on 4:3 ratio.. *, maybe laptop and desktop are different ? One thing i might add is there is an additional setting in the bios about screen stretching..

and regarding nvidia card, i remember someone mentioned that is has to be 6800 or above, that has scaling feature.. what about geforce 4 mx 440 ? or ti 42xx ? i don't want to spend too much money on agp card in these agp end of days.

one thing that i learned after reading around, in order to use scaling function from nvidia / ati control panel, you must use dvi right ? no can do with dsub ?

and thx for the link.. but i already read it, you already mention it on one of your previous post.. but it doesn't have a conclusive result, some people got it working using powerstrip, some people don't, some people got it working with ati control panel, some don't..

oh, and ctrlsteef, since you have an ati card & this monitor, does any tips (use powerstrip, use ati ccc center panorama, etc2) suggested on the 'How To: Game With Black Bars (non-widescreen)?' thread works for you ?

thx

regards,
gryfon.
ctrlsteef
Editor Emeritus

You hit the nail on the head. It seems like the only ati cards that can make black bars are the ones found in notebooks.

About the stretching, i haven't really tried since if a game doesn't support widescreen i just ditch it as fast as i bought it.
If it doesn't support widescreen the fun is over for me. :D

Maybe someone else has experience with this.
razr85

hey guys, been reading up for a while...and could someone kindly post the different resolutions the benq offers apart from the native?

which one should i go for:
viewsonic vx2025 or the benq fp202w ?!!?
ctrlsteef
Editor Emeritus

I have:

1360 x 768
1280 x 800
1280 x 768
1280 x 720
PreviousNext

Return to User Reviews