Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 19:29 

Hello everybody,

I've been combing the internet for triple monitor gaming advice and this site seems to be the most helpful, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I just added a third monitor to my setup, and I am having detrimental framerate problems.

My rig consist of a i5-4440 processor, 8GB RAM, and an ASUS GTX 1060 (6GB). I have overclocked my GPU to squeeze out some extra frames as well. What I'm trying to do is change from gaming on a single 1920 x 1080 monitor to a triple monitor setup. So far I've set up NVidia surround and adjusted the resolution in several games to make it run the full length of my displays.

With much frustration, I have taken so much of a hit in certain titles that they are now unplayable, whereas others seem fine (Issues in: Dirt 3, Portal 2, the Crew). My question for you widescreen veterans is this; am I just plain out of luck trying to make this work with my current hardware? I was pulling 180 frames on Ultra in Dirt 3 in a single screen and when I go to a triple it goes down to 11 on low settings... Is that just the way it is, or am I way off in some settings somewhere?

Any help is very, very much appreciated. I've been fiddling for hours with no successes.

- BFREE

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 08:21 

Going from 180 frames to 11 by simply going from 1920x1080 to 5760x1080 is not common and I wouldn't be surprised to find there is an issue involved. I'll try and hop into Dirt 3 tonight or tomorrow to see if I experience the same issue (2x 970s here) and 5760x1020 instead of 1080

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 18:48 

Thanks for your feedback, ColdSun. I've been troubleshooting some more and I feel like the game is trying to pull from my CPU rather than GPU.. That's the only reason I could think of why such a severe change would happen. I've even adjusted my resolution down to 4080 x 768 to try and make things a little easier on my hardware, but with the same results.

Something else that I've found interesting, is that I'm able to boot the game up in windowed mode and have it run at nearly 100 frames. If I switch it to full screen, however, it goes back down to the 10-11 fps.

- BFREE

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 03:24 

Hrmm I'm not experiencing the issue on my rig but will ask a few others who also use surround for gaming (joys of friends/family sharing of steam libraries is it opens up the potential testers).

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 15:41 

Thanks for your willingness to help! I have solved the problem, so I figured rather than just ghost away from this forum topic I would post my solution in case anybody else encounters similar issues.

I wound up uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for both my graphics card and monitors. Once I had the latest drivers, everything worked like a charm. I did have a minor freakout when my graphics card wasn't showing up in the device manager for a second, but all is well now! I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why the drivers (even though I kept them up to date) needed to be uninstalled and then reinstalled, but I know that it took care of my issues.

Now I am getting 100 FPS in Dirt 3 on Ultra settings, pulling from a single GTX 1060 on 5760 x 1080 res. This is even better than I had hoped from a single card! (slight overclocking)

Thanks and happy gaming!

- BFREE

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 18:44 

Try selectively uninstalling GeForce Experience.
I had the same issue with Dead Rising 1 and Left for Dead 2.
As soon as I nuked GFE, problem solved.