Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 04:16 

Hello WSGF Community

Ok warning this is going to be a little long due to the questions I have. Instead of upgrading my computer this year I am deciding to finally get new monitor/monitors and I need some help please. I was directed to come here and make a informative decision so I don't make a costly mistake.

Triple Monitor setup vs 144mhz pros and cons for gaming ?

Korean monitors I keep hearing about but was told its a gamble with the OC you have to do on them plus color takes a hit.

Target : I was thinking 24 or 27 inch monitors. I would think 30's be to much of an issue in landscape to much space around. (Currently I have the Sony NSX-40GT1 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LED HDTV) as my gaming monitor.
Resolution: No idea I just wanted it to be kick butt.
Orientation: 3 monitors in landscape mode with possible ( from another PC the on top) ( I didn't really like 5 in portrait to much bezel for me)

What type of monitors would be good for gaming ?
Would 3 144mhz monitors be good for gaming in multi surrond setup?

What resolution should be my goal for a 24 or 27 monitor ?

I don't want to be short changed anything especially when I have the cash to do some decent upgrade now :)

Currently I just got not to long ago a EVGA 780ti so I guess I will be going Nvidia Surround

What type of connections will I need and how many cards for 3 monitors. ?

Monitor stand I think I had to get that supports 27's is the WSGF Edition Triple kinda expensive for a stand but if it's the best I will have to make do.

Hopefully I get some help which is much needed I got the some cash and need to get me some monitors ! I am so excited I want something soon I think i see a fire in my pants where my wallet is :)

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 17:00 
Founder
Founder

24" are good for 1080p. 27" is good if you want to get to 1440p. But to do 3x1440p you'll need a lot of horsepower. A lot of people are moving to a single 21:9 panel - especially with the new 34" 3440x1440 displays.

With the new mixed-res Eyefinity you can do 27 - 34 - 27. It would be 2560x1440 - 3440x1440 - 2560x1440. Again, lots of horsepower needed. But you get the best of all worlds with this one.

A lot of what you get depends on whether you lean green or red for your GPU.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 19:17 
Editors
Editors

Congratulations, you picked to worst time for a Monitor upgrade :nudgenudge:

btw, :welcome

Currently nVidia's G-sync and AMD's Free-sync are being developed and there are 1-2 Monitors out there, for horrendous prices!

Buying a Monitor without G-Sync surely also works, it did for the last 10 years.... but it looks like a nice tech feautre, which i myself absolutly won't go past me.

If you're looking for 144hz Monitors, be sure to look for one with Backlight Strobin /Lightboost.
There is this thing called Motion Blur happening on normal 60Hz Monitors which can be nearly fully eliminated by that. Read more here: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

If you're thinking about going 144hz you have 2 choices, either play all games on UltraLow graphic specc, or buy a second 780 Ti. Running 5760x1080 at 144 FPS is extremly hard.
My two 290 in Crossfire give me about 45-70 FPS in modern games with High Settings. And i have them Overclocked under water!

If you're going for a 7680x1440 Resolution you'd definitly need a 2nd 780Ti.... except you'd only play games from 2003 or older ^^ Or you're a fan of 30 FPS

:triplewide:

Have fun :)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 02:13 

Thanks for the response.

skipclarke - Ok so with the comment about new mixed-res Eyefinity I thought u needed AMD GPU for this?

Ratio you gave me 27 - 34 - 27 no stands that you sell for that kind of setup right?
I do like the best of both worlds. Depending on the GPU and how many I have some options.

27" is good if you want to get to 1440p. But to do 3x1440p you'll need a lot of horsepower. ( How much horse power like 2 more 780ti ?) I also thought that when doing a 1440p which I think means 144mhz monitor also correct? I thought you could not use 3 of those due to the viewing angles I might not be understanding 100%.

A lot of people are moving to a single 21:9 panel - especially with the new 34" 3440x1440 displays. ( Pixel density is what makes this a hell of alot better then my 40 inch Sony Google TV correct? )

Haldi - Yes it seems I picked the worst time and getting kinda bummed out now and thanks for the welcome I was told this is where I should go to get help.

I wont buy 3 cards I just think that is now enough gain returns with the 3rd card I went through that once already with AMD 6950's. Goal is around 60 fps so its nice and smooth at least on a 60hz setup but I was thinking of getting the 144mhz I keep hearing so many mixed reviews.

Why the hell does this have to be so hard now all I want is nice picture and good gaming without the input lag, with a real immerse feel when playing games with no tearing, studdering.

Not a fan of 30 FPS main reason why I want something better I just got videocard about 2 months ago.

Why the hell does this have to be so hard now all I want is nice picture and good gaming without the input lag, with a real immerse feel when playing games with no tearing, studdering. I know I was told u cant have both fast monitor and color nice its a give and take but now the widescreen monitor 34 inch put another player on field.

Help ! lol

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 01:11 

Hello Community,

I have just bought the best monitor stand I have seen got the Freedom WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk Stand
very expensive but I think will fit the bill for what I want.

Now I need some major help still with monitors.

I have been checking out the Overlord Tempest X270OC & QNIX QX2710 Evolution II to possibly get to 100mhz range.

Or should I go for 24 modded one ASUS VG248QE G-SYNC 3 of those?

IF I had to chose 3 IPS monitors what should I get?
IF I had to chose 3 TN panels what should I get ?

I need some ideas .... PLEASE help I have no experience in 3 monitor gaming and only seen one up close one time gamed on it 20 inches.

Thank You :oops:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 00:00 
Editors
Editors

sometimes i do think my 23.3" Monitors are to small xD but i'm not sure if i would prefer 27".... i think bigger is always better.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 14:44 

Update: I chose 3 x 27's instead of 3 x 24's found out 24's might be a little small for my taste.

I did get to sit down and game on 22's in triple monitor gaming setup it was nice but to small.

Finally after so much reading and going to a few stores to see what some monitors looked like and going over the give & take of what performance I would lose I finally chose better colors over better speed hz.

Like I posted before I was going to upgrade my system but chose toi upgrade

Stand : Freedom WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk Stand - $399.00
SKU: 100-D28-B15 (WSGF)

Monitors: Perfect Pixel 27" YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 "2B OverClock" 120HZ QHD 2560x1440 S-IPS LED Monitor

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
P/N: 03G-P4-2883-KR

Finally took the leap if I can get some % of OC on these monitors say 100hz having them run at I will be more then happy camper. Reading forums and reviews on these monitors seems to yield good chance of obtaining just that. Colors on this I was amazed so far ( 2 out of 3 ) are lit up no dead pixels on 2 monitors so far so I am happy.
Have to get the 3rd monitor to display plus I need to know did I connect these correct or am I doing something wrong ?

Plans:
After I test monitors I will de-bezel them as you can see in video way sexier.
Plus the de-bezel should have no issues then with mounting them well see once stand gets here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5akQlEP0Y

I will paint them piano black

Questions:

Should I wait for newer GPU cards to hit market to push games I want to play higher FPS or get another 780ti ?

Amount of VRAM I found will be my culprit so dont really know what to do I was told I be ok but I should get another card.

What do I need to get my 3rd monitor going ?

At moment I have one monitor on the DVI-D & another monitor on the DVI-I I have tried to use a display port DVI adapter did not work please help.

Do I have mine setup the correct way?

What should I realistically expect with my setup FPS can I achieve in the 100 FPS or do I not have enough horse power even with a new card added?

Thank You,

:triplewide: