Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2014, 06:09 

So I am looking into doing an overall upgrade to what I have now.
I currently have a 3 x 21.5" dell e-series. Due to space I really can't go past 22" for my monitors.

I have been looking at the ASUS VS228H-P 22-Inch monitor it doesn't have the slimmest bezel but I am trying to stay on amazon to try and cut down on shipping cost. And every monitor I have been able to find on amazon doesn't have a VESA mount point. I also thought about staying with dell and getting their ultrasharp series as they have fairly thin bezel but ordering directly through dell they force me to pay for next day air so which is why I am trying to stay on amazon.

If anyone has any comments about this particular model or have a recommendation that I should consider please let me know.
Even if it is some VESA workaround, I did find some VESA adapters on ebay for some dell monitors that don't have VESA built in.

As for the monitor stand I was looking at the Freedom Triple Desk Stand offered here. But I was wondering how thick is the base? The current stand I have has one of those thick horse shoe bases. Which isn't to bad but the main issue I have with my current stand is its a curved bar and it won't allow me to push my monitor back as the bar hits the wall and hutch of my corner desk.

Do the stands offered here have a flat base? It looks flat in the images, I have also seen Freedom WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk Stand and Freedom WSGF Edition Triple XL Desk Stand at a friend's work and he actually had AC plugs on his base. The base of his looked like home plate on a baseball field .His boss told me he got it on this site are those bases still offered?
Also were would I be able to find specs of the stands I kind of want to see the measurements of the arm segments just to see how far back I will be able to push back my monitors.

The final thing I was looking to upgrade was my video card. I currently have a XFX HD 7850. Which I like for the most part It still does fairly well with the games I have. But I am sort of torn on either getting the r9 290 or the gtx 780 as they are similar in price at the moment. Anyone have any feed back? I know when the r9 290 came out it was the better deal at the time. But it seems the prices have been adjusted recently. I heard that nvidia surround isn't as good as eyefinity is that still true or has nvidia invested more into multi monitor gaming?

I will also not be doing any sli or crossfire as I have a mini-itx motherboard and only have space for 1 pci-e slot

As far as upgrade steps I will most likely go Stand > Monitors > Video Card.

Edit
After initially posting this I went looking up other stuff, and one thing I was wondering is if I can get an ultra wide monitor the 21:9 monitor and two 16:9 and still eyefinity or nvidia surround. Granted I would need to try and find something that has the same vertical height as the 21:9 if one even exists I haven't done that much research yet.

I also came to the conclusion that I can possibly go larger with my monitors if I go with IPS displays which I want to do anyways the height at the top of the monitors wont change it will be how much lower it would go. The only downside I see to this is that I will be looking down at the screen a little more than I am doing now.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2014, 18:09 
Editors
Editors

Hi, Welcome to WSGF
:welcome:

For Stand questions Skipclark is the one with all the Knowledge.
I'm sure you will get a reply soon.

As for AMD or nVidia, AussieTimmeh did an Article about that.
http://www.wsgf.org/article/red-vs-green-vs-blue-v2
I'd say it depends on personal oppinion what you like more.

I Think i've seen some screenshots from a 21:9+16:9. But that was in Eyefinity, AFAIK you need the same resolution on all monitors for Nvidia Surround.(no guarantee there....)

But could you explain why bigger monitors only work if they are IPS?

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 01:42 

Haldi wrote:
But could you explain why bigger monitors only work if they are IPS?

Pretty much the way the monitors will sit on my desk. If I go larger I will end up looking down towards the middle of the screen. The desk hutch prevents me from raising the monitors up. One because the hutch has cabinets and two the monitors will hit the bottom of the shelves of the hutch. So even if I move the monitors so they don't sit under the hutch I have cabinets that may prevent me from moving the monitors up to eye level. I guess I could tilt the monitors slightly up but I am not sure how that would work in an wide screen setup.

Edit:
Actually sitting at my desk and looking at my monitors I think I might be okay even without an ips display if I decide to go larger.
I measured the height of the 27" my girlfriend has and there is no way I will be able to get that to work on my desk.
I think my max may be 24 or 23

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 15:30 
Founder
Founder

d-shade wrote:
As for the monitor stand I was looking at the Freedom Triple Desk Stand offered here. But I was wondering how thick is the base? The current stand I have has one of those thick horse shoe bases. Which isn't to bad but the main issue I have with my current stand is its a curved bar and it won't allow me to push my monitor back as the bar hits the wall and hutch of my corner desk.

Which stand are you currently using, the Ergotron DS-100? The base on the Ergotech line that we carry is about 18" square, and is about a 1/4" thick. I am working on a through-desk mounting option, and hope to have info up soon.

Quote:
Do the stands offered here have a flat base? It looks flat in the images, I have also seen Freedom WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk Stand and Freedom WSGF Edition Triple XL Desk Stand at a friend's work and he actually had AC plugs on his base. The base of his looked like home plate on a baseball field .His boss told me he got it on this site are those bases still offered?

Ergotech used to offer an accessory called the ICE Cube. It was a four port surge protector and USB hub that fit around the pole of the stand. It was not part of the base, and was an optional accessory. You can see pics of it here - http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Dual-Ver ... 007BD0NAQ/

The only stand that had power in the base was the XFX stand, which was made by Ergotech as well. We didn't sell them here. You can find pics here - http://www.amazon.com/XFX-FXTRISTAND-Tr ... 008J55A12/

Quote:
Also were would I be able to find specs of the stands I kind of want to see the measurements of the arm segments just to see how far back I will be able to push back my monitors.

This is the Freedom Triple product page on the Ergotech website - http://ergotechgroup.com/monitor-desk-stands/ It links to this PDF which has the measurements you are looking for - http://ergotechgroup.com/ergo_pdf/DeskStands.pdf

Quote:
Edit
After initially posting this I went looking up other stuff, and one thing I was wondering is if I can get an ultra wide monitor the 21:9 monitor and two 16:9 and still eyefinity or nvidia surround. Granted I would need to try and find something that has the same vertical height as the 21:9 if one even exists I haven't done that much research yet.

No, this isn't possible. All monitors must be the same resolution.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 17:35 

skipclarke wrote:
Which stand are you currently using, the Ergotron DS-100?

I actually don't know it is some stand that my old boss bought on amazon and didn't need anymore. The base of it is about 1" thick in a horse shoe design, which is great to stand toys on but not for usable space.

Quote:
Ergotech used to offer an accessory called the ICE Cube.

That is good to know having plugs there was more for convenience than anything else, I will just get a power strip to line the back edge of my desk.

Quote:
The only stand that had power in the base was the XFX stand, which was made by Ergotech as well.

That was the stand I was originally looking at but the base just looked too bulky to me.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2014, 07:25 

Just wanted to post a quick update I got the monitor stand and it has made a world of difference on my desk. I don't have the monitors in my face when I am at my desk anymore.

I also decided to go with an Nvida card over ATI.
I am currently leaning towards a GTX770 mainly due to price. I know I would get better performance with a GTX780 but the $160 difference is sort of the driving factor to go with the GTX770.

The only draw back I can see at the moment is since I am using an Mini ITX and I don't have the option to SLI I will have to replace my card to upgrade. So after getting the GTX770 and in a few months I feel like it isn't enough then I would have wasted $340.

Is there a fairly decent performance boost with the GTX780 vs GTX770 when playing in 5760x1080?
PC wise I am using an 3ghz i5 ivy bridge, I don't know the exact model off hand. 16gb of ram with a 500gb 7200rpm drive. So it isn't a high end pc but has been handling everything fairly decently. I do have an i7 I can use I don't know the exact model number but one is available if I want to upgrade.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 21:23 

d-shade wrote:
Just wanted to post a quick update I got the monitor stand and it has made a world of difference on my desk. I don't have the monitors in my face when I am at my desk anymore.

I also decided to go with an Nvida card over ATI.
I am currently leaning towards a GTX770 mainly due to price. I know I would get better performance with a GTX780 but the $160 difference is sort of the driving factor to go with the GTX770.

The only draw back I can see at the moment is since I am using an Mini ITX and I don't have the option to SLI I will have to replace my card to upgrade. So after getting the GTX770 and in a few months I feel like it isn't enough then I would have wasted $340.

Is there a fairly decent performance boost with the GTX780 vs GTX770 when playing in 5760x1080?
PC wise I am using an 3ghz i5 ivy bridge, I don't know the exact model off hand. 16gb of ram with a 500gb 7200rpm drive. So it isn't a high end pc but has been handling everything fairly decently. I do have an i7 I can use I don't know the exact model number but one is available if I want to upgrade.

It'll will be pretty hard for a GTX770 to drive 3 displays by it's self. I'm assuming you want to maintain at least 60 FPS for the smoothest game play on 60hz monitors. The biggest draw back is the 2gb of memory. Widescreen resolution uses a lot more video memory. The GTX770 is basically a rebranded 680. You would be better off with 780 or 780ti since they have 3gb of memory and faster GPU's. I used GTX670 3-way SLI setup @ 5760x1080 resolution and I always ran into memory bottle neck. I upgraded to 2 R9 290's before the prices sky rocketed because of the cryptocoin mining craze since they have 4gb of video memory.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 05:24 

Mcknight26 wrote:
It'll will be pretty hard for a GTX770 to drive 3 displays by it's self. I'm assuming you want to maintain at least 60 FPS for the smoothest game play on 60hz monitors. The biggest draw back is the 2gb of memory. Widescreen resolution uses a lot more video memory. The GTX770 is basically a rebranded 680. You would be better off with 780 or 780ti since they have 3gb of memory and faster GPU's. I used GTX670 3-way SLI setup @ 5760x1080 resolution and I always ran into memory bottle neck. I upgraded to 2 R9 290's before the prices sky rocketed because of the cryptocoin mining craze since they have 4gb of video memory.

Hey thanks for the info, Still haven't bought a card due to life but finally got that sorted out so Im back in the market.

So I am leaning back towards getting an ATI card with the announcement of the mix res eyefinity. Since I was thinking about getting the dell 29" ultra wide, and dropping 3x monitor setup. But with the mix res I can get 2 23" monitors to flank the 29" eventually. I will more then likely keep on using one of my 21" as a secondary screen. Until I can purchase the video card and 2 23" monitors.

I will prob go with a r9 290x in order to run in 6400x1080 since I have a mini itx setup I can only run a single card.
I already know with the single card I will prob be able to run at about medium to get 60fps. Which I willbe fine with and if I'm not I can use just the 2560x1080 single monitor and run on high.

Here is the review of the 6400x1080 if anyone is interested
http://www.eteknix.com/6400x1080-testin ... eyefinity/