Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 17:35 

this is copy/pasted from a PM from me to ManuelGuzman ("Community Care" at nVidia forums):

simplestone wrote:
Using the latest drivers, I get an abysmal frame rate of 16 - 20 FPS (with the latest patch) -- this is also using the default SLI bits that come with the Witcher 3 SLI profile (0x080020F5). There has been fixes from users on the forum (the user named Helifax takes credit for this particular work around) that have found that if you plug in all three displays to a single GPU (while still using SLI), The Witcher 3's frame rate suddenly increases. I myself do not have $99 to spend on aan active DVI->DisplayPort adapter, so I cannot use this work around as a means to play The Witcher 3 with nVidia surround with reasonable frame rate. SO, the other work around that the community has found is my only solution. However, this involves replacing the default SLI bits with the ones of the Assassin's Creed: Rogue profile (0x0A0040F5). These bits increase my FPS to around 35 - 45 FPS, even getting up to 50 FPS at some parts. However the lights in the game flicker and flash about so badly, as though the game was undergoing some strobe light effect, making the game unplayable.

Please see the following thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/882192/sli/the-witcher-3-sli-nvidia-surround-unjustifiably-low-fps-aka-the-three-month-problem-/

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 05:06 

Here's a thread I started at the CDProject Red's Witcher 3 forum:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/ ... ost1927682

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 11:11 
Insiders
Insiders

You can actually get proper scaling depending on how your outputs are configured. At one point if you plugged all the monitors into the one card, you got good scaling 99 + 80-90 - but on the same drivers if you spread the output across the 2 cards (2+1) then the scaling was 60 at best. THEN there was a change in the drivers and the game seem to work in the 2+1 config. It's been an ongoing issue since game launch, and many posts have been made on CDprojectRED's site and Nvidia.

I actually haven't played the game for a month or so, and got use to just playing it on my other computer where I can use DSR and was down-scaling from 4k. Actually now that I remember, the last time I loaded up W3, it was working in surround, but the highlight icons/text (above npc heads etc) was floating, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't occurring before that driver release (forget version).

EDIT: So I booted it up and yeah, it has poor scaling in 2+1 config. Try changing your outputs to have all monitors on one card while running surround, it will probably work. BUT a lot of games don't seem to like that config - Mad Max and battlefield 4 for example, produce artifacting. A few games like to crash (although with the current state of drivers, who knows). But the normal guidelines are to run 2+1 when you have Sli.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 17:19 

Toothless Spoon wrote:
EDIT: So I booted it up and yeah, it has poor scaling in 2+1 config. Try changing your outputs to have all monitors on one card while running surround, it will probably work. BUT a lot of games don't seem to like that config - Mad Max and battlefield 4 for example, produce artifacting. A few games like to crash (although with the current state of drivers, who knows). But the normal guidelines are to run 2+1 when you have Sli.

well, I did try to put all three displays on one gpu, but with the 780 series do not have a way to get two DVI, plus one HDMI to work. i would need a way to plug into displayport, and that isnt an option Since I don't have a way to connect it to displayport.

i just finished chatting with nvidia live chat tech support, and after much very basic "troubleshooting," I was told that they would continue to investigate the problem and contact me via email. They will supposedly be escalating this to Level 2 support if they are unable to find any solutions. I was told this before when I called NV's Customer Care number, and to me it sounds like Level 2 support, and of course even their Software Developers, did not even so much a heard a little bit about this issue.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 13:07 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -solution/

this helps a bit and actualy it seems rather playable on 4k surround and 4x times x, but there is some nasty jumping back and forth.. ahrd to expalin... but still much better performance with SLI even on single screen

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2015, 17:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I have been putting off playing this game because the performance in Surround has been in the toilet.

I nearly gave up but wanted to play today and did some searching around and found this thread. Glad you posted this, Ascendance.

I've got a club 3d active adapter on the way which hopefully fixes the issue and I see Nvidia is finally taking ownership of the issue and has a fix in the pipeline for a future driver release. I just can't wait.

I'm going to try Helifax's fix and see if that addresses the issue which I think it will.

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 09:01 

I havent heard anything from nVidia in about 2 weeks or so. I just hope NV finally fixes it in the upcoming driver release. I dont have 100 bucks to spend on an active adapter to get all three displays on one GPU, so Im waiting till then.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 21:40 

New drivers are out today. I hope it's fixed!

EDIT:: Thew new drivers dont fix anything. :(

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 16:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Doesn't say anything about it in the release notes so yeah... probably not fixed yet.

My 780gtx's have 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x Display port. Yours don't, Ascendance?

"[...]but with the 780 series do not have a way to get two DVI, plus one HDMI to work. i would need a way to plug into displayport, and that isnt an option Since I don't have a way to connect it to displayport. "

I've had 3 monitors plugged in to my 2x DVI and 1x HDMI on my first card and obviously that didn't help but with Helifax's solution using the Display port and an active adapter my framerate has nearly doubled.

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium