Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2015, 11:33 

I'm posting this here, hoping someone has the same problem, or better, the solution :

I just updated to Windows 10 from a Win 7 and I have a big problem when I want to play most of my games in surround. Either they don't launch (Dragon age Inquisition), or when they do, I get a LOT of flickering from the central monitor. The two others are fine. This only happens in Fullscreen, not Borderless.
I tried changing the order of my monitors in the Nvidia surround control panel menu, but regardless the center monitor keeps flickering.
I do not have any problem in Windows itself, and I already tried to uninstal and install the latest drivers again.

No matter which resolution I choose (I play at 5980*1080), as soon as I play on three monitors it flickers. But it plays fine on one monitor (1920*1080).
Games I encounter this problem so far : Far Cry 3, GTA V, Dying light, Batman Arkham Knight... But oddly it plays fine on Wolfenstein : The new order.

2x GTX 970 SLI
16 GB RAM
I7 4970k

I don't know if it is a driver problem or something else, as I can't find anyone on the internet with the same problem... Thanks :(

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015, 03:17 

I have had the same problem 1 monitor flickering, i reconnected all my monitorcables in different positions on the videocards and 1 configuration works, i have 2 monitors on the bottom card and one on the top card.(bottom 1 x hdmi 1x dvi in the top connector,upper 1 x dvi in top connector.)Hope it works for you.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 13:28 

Kahuna wrote:
I have had the same problem 1 monitor flickering, i reconnected all my monitorcables in different positions on the videocards and 1 configuration works, i have 2 monitors on the bottom card and one on the top card.(bottom 1 x hdmi 1x dvi in the top connector,upper 1 x dvi in top connector.)Hope it works for you.

Thanks for your answer Kahuna. Even though it didn't help resolve the problem, changing the monitor cables on my graphic cards have indeed proved to do something because it appears that whichever monitor is connected to the upper card flickers in surround fullscreen when in a game.

The problem is that my monitors are already connected the way yours are... Oddly the HDMI only works when connected to my bottom card (the Nvidia control panel says it's card number 1).
When I connect the HDMI cable to the top card, my monitor isn't recognized. So the only way I can connect this card is through DVI D, and when I do then the flickering appears in games.

Now I am very confused, why would my configuration work under Win7, and not Win10 ?! My monitors don't have any display port, and I don't want to buy a displayport to DVI-D adapter if it doesn't change anything... :thumbdown:

Any other suggestion? Thanks.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 20:00 

Ok I solved part of the problem : it seems that under Windows 10, pluging a monitor into my upper graphic card was causing these flickering (but everything is fine under Win 7 so this is still a mystery).
I had to plug all my 3 monitors to my second - lower- graphic card with :

1xHDMI
1xDVI-D
1xDVI-D into a DVI-I port

Bam, flickering problem gone.

But now there is another problem ONLY in games, when playing surround and fullscreen : very often I get a kind of screen tearing / kinda vertical sync problem.
It appears sometimes in the middle of the screen, and most of the time in the bottom of it. I tried turning on and off the Vsync in game or in the nvidia control panel, nothing changes.

Help anyone? Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 12:56 

Too bad it didnt help, i had exactly the same problem. Dying light, witcher etc flickering, wolfenstein no problem. I had some tearing issues with the turbo mode of tune up utilities but i dont know if you are using that. Maybe a clean(remove all profiles) 355.82 install with one monitor connected on the top card then restart connect the other two and activate sli ? Maybe try the other sli connector on the cards.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 13:15 

No I don't use Tune up.
I'll try to use DDU again to do a clean uninstal of my graphic drivers and instal them again following your advice. It is strange because when I have my wave / vsync problem, the game and the driver crash after a few minutes and I have to reboot the PC. (I think I get kernel errors or something)

Just to be sure, connecting three monitors to one card when in SLI and enabling Surround can't cause this strange kind of vsync problem in games right?

Still I am disappointed and plan to stay on Win7 for a while, everything is very stable on it. But one day I'll be forced to stay on windows 10 for the games using DirectX 12...

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 13:32 

I havent tried 3 monitors on 1 card yet, but i imagine its not the best setup for sli.
This windows 10 update causes a lot of problems, i have to use software acceleration in edge or it wont work, my taskbar is all over the place, windows menu is on the left monitor, i get a fuzzy resolution on all kinds of programs and have to tick the compatibility high res box on a lot of them. Hopefully they will update this in the near future.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 15:46 

Yeah I think Windows 10 is not the best solution right now, especially with settings such as ours (SLI + Surround). I tried playing on one screen, and everything was fine so Nvidia Surround is causing all these problems.
Well Win10 is free for a year, maybe I should try a bit later when they update the OS.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 20:55 

I am running all 4 monitors off one gpu on 970 gtx sli with 3x2560x1440 landscaped at 7680x1440 and my extra 1920x1200 in portrait I am using Gigabyte G1 gpu's.

One note is that I was using the 3 dp ports and one dvi and I was getting some screen blinking etc. I saw the review here on the Accell dp 1.2 cables and ordered them but they did not work any better. So what I did is use the 2 dual dvi, one dp and the hdmi for my secondary screen. Everything is working much MUCH better. Again everything is plugged into one GPU. I have read in multiple places that using the one GPU is better than plugging using both gpu's to plug the monitors into. If I find where I saw this I will come back and link it.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 21:01 

sounds like a problem with the sli bridge put it on and off again or just flip up and down abit helps sometimes. happens really often.