Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 23:44 

Hello good folk of WSGF. I work for a company (www-x-copter.aero) where we build flight simulators and I have been using 3x 60in 1080p Samsung displays in portrait to achieve our current display setup and all has been well. We are however going to a new layout with 4x 55in curved UHD Samsung units in a 2x2 layout. Well, shoot, Nvidia doesnt support 2x2.... The option is there in the surround setup but after hours of research online not even the venerated 980 can output in a 2x2 layout. Does anyone know of any plans for Nvidia to check that box in the driver so I can turn on 2x2 surround? I have attempted this with 2x 780s using multiple connector layouts and can achieve a 1x4 or 4x1 all day long but a 2x2 is what I need. Any help? I'd hate to lose the performance of the nvidia cards just to get my hands on eyefinity.....

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 03:51 
Editors
Editors

I'm not aware of 2x2 Setup with nVidia GeForce cards.
You might have more luck with Quadro or Tesla cards, yet they're not really made for Gaming.

You MIGHT have luck with this omnious Displayport to dual HDMI adapter, which allows to connect 2 Monitors and windows thinks it's only 1.
Then you could create a 2x1 or 1x2 Setup.... maybe...

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 08:57 

I setup an account just to say that not only has NVIDIA allowed 2x2 but i'm using it right now actually with a single 970 SC. I know my fps is playable, so above 30, but I don't chase 60 so i'm not sure about specifics, the arkham origins benchmark averaged 48fps if that helps, other than that, i've played ryse, crysis 3, COD:Advanced Warfare and Ghosts, among others like this including GTA V with no problems and playable framerates maxing out all these games,no AA.

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 16:03 

Did you simply select the 2x2 surround? When I try this I get a "Display error, please refer to the configuration guide" which points out that a 2x2 is not possible and everything Ive read says Nvidia doesnt support 2x2 surround to prop up their quadro and other pro cards. Are you simply running them as 4 independent screens and running these games in windowed mode or is fullscreen across the 2x2 possible?

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 16:16 

Haldi wrote:
I'm not aware of 2x2 Setup with nVidia GeForce cards.
You might have more luck with Quadro or Tesla cards, yet they're not really made for Gaming.

You MIGHT have luck with this omnious Displayport to dual HDMI adapter, which allows to connect 2 Monitors and windows thinks it's only 1.
Then you could create a 2x1 or 1x2 Setup.... maybe...

I have found this item, Zotac Displayport to Dual HDMI but has been discontinued and is getting rather expensive. Is there a solution that is still in production?

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 22:51 

They're running as one giant display, are you drivers up to date? Btw I was able to do this with my dual 580s before upgrading so it shouldn't be a generational thing either. But to answer your question,yes I select it just like you'd select 3x1 or any other different cards have different allowable configs I think,try this link, nvidia's configurator (on that page) should help.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technol ... quirements

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 22:26 

Yes I have looked at that several times and tried using multiple configuartions with dual and single vid cards. I ordered a few adapters and they worked well. Having 4x 1080p monitors plugged in I was able to get 2x2 surround working.

Now for pulling off the final hurdle of 2x2 with Samsung's curved TVs which are all 4k now. Before you scream about not being able to run a full 8k display (I wouldnt expect any computer to handle gaming at 8k yet) I only want a 4k total display across 3 TVs (1080 each). Problem is Nvidia wants to jump straight to something past 8k total.

All TVs plugged in, 4k comes up on all displays (so many pixels!). I put them in the correct tiled layout and drop the resolution to 1080p per display. All looks great! Now I just need this in surround with bezel corrections so I can fullscreen.

So same gig, go to surround mode, 2x2 topology, 30 hz.... no resolution options. Only 8192x4320? I thought 4x was 7680 x 4320... where did we get an extra 512 pixels? Attempting to enable it just gives me no signal error on TVs. Latest drivers (352.86) were installed today on a fresh install of windows 7 64. I need to be able to get to regular 8k and drop the resolution or enable surround with going straight to 1080 per display.

I belive I may be at the limits of the 780 cards and have ordered a 980. Hopefully we'll see if that helps in a few days.