Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 May 2024, 18:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 21:16 

Setup:
2 560 ti's in SLI
Driver Date: 3/14/2013
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1422
Core i5-2500K
8GB RAM
G19 Keyboard (have to close lcore.exe to update drivers)
Win 7 fully updated
ASUS mobo with SSD caching enabled

I'm stuck on drivers from last winter because every time I try to update them, I crash hard. When I was able to update then, I'd BSD when enabling Surround. I tried DriverSweeper before to clear out EVERYHING, reinstall, crash when enabling surround. I go into safe mode and uninstall/reinstall, crash when enabling Surround.

Any ideas? Is there any tricks to enabling surround after an update? Unplug this, try this resolution, close these programs, then update? Anything like that? Can anyone give me step by step directions?

Do the 7 series handle Surround better than the 5 series? Do you think buying new cards will fix my problem? Or should I give up and go back to 1 monitor?

Thanks for.. well anything.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 21:34 

I had a similar issues with some of the recent AMD drivers; computer froze during install so everything went to shit and had to do a system restore. Nothing would work - cleaning manually, with driver sweeper etc :(
I ended up re-installing windows (and updated to 8.1 while at it) and everything went fine. I've updated three times since.

This might not be related at all since you've got nVidia cards but if you're bored, try a win reinstall

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 21:44 

Thanks for the quick reply. Your issues sound very similar to mine. The last thing I want to do is reinstall windows. I shouldn't have to do that, especially every time I need to update my video card drivers. 8.1 though... maybe... but when it was $15. Can't really afford it now, especially since it might not fix the issue. :/

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 23:00 

Yeah that's what I thought aswell. There was simply no way for me to upgrade the drivers which pissed me off enough to reinstall :)
If you're computer savvy it's not too bad (you can save most settings, users\yourname\appdata and not have to reinstall most apps).
I guess you could try a "dual boot" just to see if that works :P

I bought win8 for <20$ when it was new, totally worth it ;)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 00:25 

Hey Whitestar

I'm having quite a few issues updating nvidia drivers as well. (A lot of programs crashing with a memory access error during install.) But it always seems to install fine after that.

What driver are you trying to install and did you try disabling surround and install the driver using only a single monitor?

As for the drivers I'd try the 320.49 driver (Link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html) because in the newer versions the window handling isn't working correctly. (Windows span across all three monitor etc.) If you want the newest driver there is a fix but it seems to implement the window handling from the 320.xx driver which has some problems but they are not as bad as in the newest drivers. (Link for the fix: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/626833/nvidia-surround/nvidia-331-40-331-58-quot-maximise-windows-across-all-displays-quot-windows-7-fix/ :!: Little warning though: It's not official and the guy who created it doesn't really tell what it actually does so, use with caution. :!: )

Hopefully I helped you out a bit.

:cheers:
- Revy

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 18:56 

Basically any driver since March. Beta and release ones. I've tried a few times since March but every time I just keep crashing so I give up and do a system restore.

Yesterday I tried to update to 331.65. It crashed installing when I was in Surround. Reboot, it's only on 1 monitor but maybe it worked? I reinstall to be safe because I don't see how it finished the whole install process. It completes. It wants me to restart comp. I restart. It loads into windows on 1 screen, then crashes right away (just restarts on its own). Safe mode or no? I say no. Windows is now on 1 screen, but the computer doesn't notice the video cards. Max res is like 1080 x 720 or something dumb.

Usually disabling Surround will crash my computer too. Maybe what I can try is unplugging 2 monitors, boot comp, DriverSweeper, install drivers, shut off. Plug monitors in, boot, and enable? Worth a shot...