Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 May 2024, 07:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 13:55 

Hi, I've just bought three identical LG monitors but I can't get the proportions of the images right in games. Only the monitor in the centre seems ok. From the central monitor to the external ones the distance from the objects is not mantained, as if there was some kind of zoom, and the image seems stretched a lot. I use a resolution in surround mode of 5760*1080. It seems as if the central monitor and the side ones were on different resolutions. I saw other people playing with three monitors on youtube and they don't have the problem I have. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should do?
Any help? Thanks

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 17:36 

If you have a screenshot it would help a lot.

I do however think the are seeing the right image. The idea of triplewide is give you peripheral vision which would nornally be stretched. Its to simulate how things look out of the corner of your eyes.

An example is when playing an FPS in triplewide you will be looking at the centre monitor. You then see something on the left monitor. In an ideal situation you shouldnt move your head but move your character to the left keeping eyes on the centre screen.

Again a screenshot would be good but I believe this is what you are seeing

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 17:56 

At the moment I can't use the monitors so I can't take any pictures (I am redecorating), but as soon I can I will post them. Anyway the issue is not "normal" and I'm not talking about stretching but of an absurd zooming effect. So in the central monitor, let's say something is at a distance of 20 feet, in the external monitors it is at 5 feet!!! and the quality of the image is rubbish as if the two sides monitors were at a very low resolution.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 23:30 
Editors
Editors

What Game?
Are you sure the Game is working fine in surround?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 03:23 

I think the issue you're describing is normal, and is due to the Field of View rendering within the game. For example, I'm playing Borderlands 2 right now at 5760x1080, and something that looks 20 ft away in the center screen will look 5 ft away on one of the side monitors. That's just due to the way this particular game renders graphics, as if you are looking down a U, such that farther you get from the center the closer it appears. Since the side monitors are for peripheral vision, this isn't really that bad.

You can tell us the game, and we can probably confirm how that game behaves, or you can try a different game to see how that looks. Torchlight 2, for example, doesn't have nearly the same kind of zoom / stretching on side screens that Borderlands 2 does.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 09:12 

I tried Borderlands 2, Far cry 3, Rage, F1 2013, with the same disappointing results. I don't think that the "zoom effect" I have in Borderlands 2, or in any other game I've tried so far, is normal, I saw the gameplay of other players and everything is as it should be. A bit of image stretching is not the problem and I know is normal, here we are talking about of a horrible image quality and a disproportion of the image that I don't see in other gameplay videos. Do you use any program (like Widescreen Fixer or similar ones) besides the surround one, while playing Borderlands 2?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 11:44 

This is commonly referred to as the "fish eye" effect. It happens in every game and is more pronounced at higher field of view (FOV) settings - especially on triple wide screen setups. This effect also happens on single screens or even non-widescreen resolutions, it just becomes more pronounced the "further" away you get from the center.

This is normal and still enhances the gameplay experience. As others have mentioned, while playing do not attempt to "focus" on the side monitors. Keep your attention on the middle monitor as you normally would. Your peripheral vision and brain will do the rest and it is quite immersing and enjoyable.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 11:47 

I just re-read your last post more carefully. You absolutely need to be sure the game is working correctly in surround resolution. You will have to explore settings for each individual game in order to first check that its even surround resolution compatible (either natively or via a hack/config file edit).

Screenshots would help, or just take a picture of your setup with the game running on your phone and upload that.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 14:03 

Sticking to Borderlands 2 for the moment - this is how I have mine set up:
6032x1080 resolution (5760x1080 + bezel compensation), 110 FoV, both set within the game's options without using any third party programs.

Pick a spot that illustrates the problem, like somewhere in Sanctuary, and take a screenshot - F11. Post it, or a link to it on Steam, and I can go to the same place and take a screenshot so that we can compare.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 15:40 

As soon as I can I will post some images.
thanks