Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 19:04 

So...2 of my new Acer GD235 monitors have arrived, the 3rd should be here by Monday. Man! I underestimated how much desk space this is going to take - I'm going to have to customize my 7 year old trusty 'compact' desk to fit them all properly! :D I'll post a picture of my new setup when its done.

Geeze I went from 1 IZ3D 22inch 3d Monitor with an ATI 4870X2, 4 GBs ram, a Q6600 and a 950 watt powersupply to - 2 GTX480's, I7 960, 8 GBs ram and I'm still shopping for another GTX480., waterblocks for all of them, probably a 1200 watt powersupply, and maybe a new Full-sized tower (that old alumunium Lian-Li while still nice, just doesn't have all the modern bells & whistles). This upgrade ended up EXPENSIVE! (just don't tell my wife.) :oops:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 21:07 
Editors
Editors

Cool, its a blast to play on triple. :rockout

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 19:17 

Same monitors I've got :cheers My desk is from the mid 90's lmao

Cooler Master Cosmos II | ASUS X99-Deluxe | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S | 5930k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz | SLI GTX 1080 Ti's | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD | Corsair AX1500i | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 13,780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Nvidia Surround® 3 x BenQ XL2735 | Samsung CHG90 Auxiliary Monitor

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 12:56 

ya i basically have a ikea dining room table as my desk hahaha. it works great though!

GTX 680 4GB in SLI
Intel 980 x @ 4Ghz

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 16:57 

Nice setup in that picture.

I've got to take a picture at some point of my gear, although, still haven't built a custom stand yet - had to ship one of the monitors back to newegg for an RMA and just got the replacement.

Regarding these Acers, the one I returned, had horrible backlight bleed on the right third of the monitor in 3d mode. Another of the monitors has a similar problem, but in a much smaller area so I decided to live with it. In fact of the three monitors I purchased, I'm only completely satisfied with one of them - the others have patches of backlight bleed in sections of the screen (not the edges (present in all) but in the center portion of the panel), this probably is really only apparent in 3d Mode.

Not sure if the other monitor manufacturers have similar problems but I imagine they probably do.

Anyway, now that I have all three monitor back I intend to build a custom stand for them, I may try removing the plastic bevels to reduce the bevel width, has anyone taken the screen covers off the Acers before, if so how much space could you trim by removing the cover permanently?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 22:48 

you could use a Ergotech stand (shameless plug) and not need to get a new desk

and watercooling makes a real difference, to the cards and the surrounding rooms temp..
Just finished doing my 2 x 480's

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 03:11 

Nice setup in that picture.

I've got to take a picture at some point of my gear, although, still haven't built a custom stand yet - had to ship one of the monitors back to newegg for an RMA and just got the replacement.

Regarding these Acers, the one I returned, had horrible backlight bleed on the right third of the monitor in 3d mode. Another of the monitors has a similar problem, but in a much smaller area so I decided to live with it. In fact of the three monitors I purchased, I'm only completely satisfied with one of them - the others have patches of backlight bleed in sections of the screen (not the edges (present in all) but in the center portion of the panel), this probably is really only apparent in 3d Mode.

Not sure if the other monitor manufacturers have similar problems but I imagine they probably do.

Anyway, now that I have all three monitor back I intend to build a custom stand for them, I may try removing the plastic bevels to reduce the bevel width, has anyone taken the screen covers off the Acers before, if so how much space could you trim by removing the cover permanently?

I read that the best of the 3D monitors are the Asus 23". Acer in general is a budget line; it is what it is.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 15:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Yep, depending upon the LCD you use it'll need a 5 - 6 foot wide desk.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 08:42 

you could use a Ergotech stand (shameless plug) and not need to get a new desk

and watercooling makes a real difference, to the cards and the surrounding rooms temp..
Just finished doing my 2 x 480's

That's a nice triple monitor stand you got. Keep it up!

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011, 19:29 

If you are concerned about space, consider placing your 3x monitors in Portrait mode!! Some monitors don't pivot, but most monitors support some form of VESA mount. As displayed in the picture above, the Ergotech is an awesome solution. One of the only solutions to support up to 3x 30inch monitors!

I have 3x Dell UltraSharp U2711 IPS 27 inch monitors that I am just waiting for the new computer I ordered to assemble using the Ergotech stand in Portrait mode. I cant wait!! :D