Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 May 2024, 15:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 15:43 
Insiders
Insiders

I just placed an order for some red/cyan glasses, and I've downloaded IZ3D drivers (I'm running Windows XP so 3D Vision Discover is not an option). My monitor is a 60Hz 24" IPS panel at 1920x1200. What game should I try first when they arrive? Here's some of what I've got:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
BioShock
Call of Duty
Grand Theft Auto (all of the PC ported ones)
Metal Gear Solid 1&2
Nintendo 64 games via PJ64
Painkiller
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Quake III
Serious Sam HD
SiN Episodes: Emergence
Unreal Tournament 2004
Warcraft III
XIII
Pretty much every Valve game (except for Left 4 Dead 2)

I'll download demos too, if there are any specific recommendations that I don't have.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 04:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I personally like Gear of War in 3D. When the blood hits the screen it's like WOW.
I also play UT3, UT2004, and a lot of Project 64.

3D is nice in most games, but I have to say, for you to have the wow factor, the game has to have flashy weapons or else it's kinda boring.

In UT when the link gun shoot at you, you'll freak and try to dodge out of the way. At least that what me and most of my friends did.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 03:34 
Insiders
Insiders

My glasses arrived! They... don't work so well. I have to really focus on something for it to look like it has depth. With a bit of eyestrain, I can get my weapon in Team Fortress 2 to look like it's floating in front of the game world, but I certainly don't get the promised effect of having corridors that look like I could stretch my arm down into.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 06:35 
Insiders
Insiders

My glasses arrived! They... don't work so well. I have to really focus on something for it to look like it has depth. With a bit of eyestrain, I can get my weapon in Team Fortress 2 to look like it's floating in front of the game world, but I certainly don't get the promised effect of having corridors that look like I could stretch my arm down into.

Do you have autofocus on?

Also, you can increase the separation, then hold shift and bring the image back into focus, this will increase depth. The 3D effect will be concentrated in the middle for the most part.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 15:00 
Insiders
Insiders

The wizard is a little confusing. I'm using Super Mario 64 as a sample. Here's what happens -

At this point, I'm basically seeing double. If I close my right eye, I see a single red image, as expected. But if I close my left eye, the cyan lens isn't really filtering out the red "shadow," and I'm still seeing double out of one eye. So, I decrease the convergence until Mario looks whole, which turns out to be a value -0.3652. It looks like this now:

Now, pretty much everything *except* Mario is giving me double vision. I can sort of focus my eyes on a single feature to make the "doubles" converge, but this doesn't make it appear to have depth, and it means everything but whatever I'm focusing on is just peripheral vision.

Next it asks "are the distant objects on screen doubled at an uncomfortable level?" I'm not totally sure what that means, but I'm guessing yes, so I push Y.

It says then to DECREASE the separation, until distant objects become one image. I do this, getting a value of 4.07%. It looks like this now:

Now I'm not really seeing double, but I'm not really seeing depth either. Next it says to increase the separation until the distant objects are doubled at a comfortable level, which makes no sense to me - I just decreased the separation to solve that. If I increase the separation, that makes me see double again.

Finally, it says to turn on autofocus. I do, and I have no idea what that did, or was supposed to do. But I'm still not really seeing depth.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 17:45 
Insiders
Insiders

Okay the more seperation, the more depth you'll experience.
But then you need to "refocus" everything.

The wizard is complete crap, don't even try using it. Hit C when it comes up so it never comes up again when you open up a game. Or better disable it in the menu.

When you first try configuring the game, turn on auto focus "/".
Then hold plus for a bit, until there a good amount of separation "+ or -". (This changes per game)

Then you need to converge the images together. Now where you want to focus matters here.
Figure out where you want objects in focus, then stare at that point and then use "Shift + or shift -" to focus that area.

It may take some time to tweak but it works. Auto focus changes the convergence depending on what 3D object the middle of the screen is looking at.

EDIT: I've gotten it to look like so:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 19:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Ok, I followed your instructions. I turn on autofocus, and then I increase. I don't know how much is right, though. So far I've tried this with 15%, 20%, and 30%.

After doing this, I'm seeing double. So move the camera close to Mario, and decrease convergence until the two Marios mostly overlap. It's never quite a comfortable fit, though. And I'm not seeing any depth at all, but I am seeing plenty of double objects.

I don't really see any 3D in your picture either. Mostly it just looks flat, though certain polygons look like they have an awkward composite of two textures.

Is it possible the glasses I have are the wrong color? I don't have great color perception personally, but the right lens looks mostly blue, and not really greenish blue.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 20:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Ok, I followed your instructions. I turn on autofocus, and then I increase. I don't know how much is right, though. So far I've tried this with 15%, 20%, and 30%.

After doing this, I'm seeing double. So move the camera close to Mario, and decrease convergence until the two Marios mostly overlap. It's never quite a comfortable fit, though. And I'm not seeing any depth at all, but I am seeing plenty of double objects.

I don't really see any 3D in your picture either. Mostly it just looks flat, though certain polygons look like they have an awkward composite of two textures.

Is it possible the glasses I have are the wrong color? I don't have great color perception personally, but the right lens looks mostly blue, and not really greenish blue.

It's quite possible that your glasses may be the wrong tint (I'm using ones off a lego magazine and one off of a fruit by the foot box, so I'm not using anything of real quality).

You can try messing with your monitor settings to get it correct for your glasses. Mine aren't perfectly tuned (I'm using the default sRGB setting on my sub-par monitors).

This is also not the best game for 3D imho. There's a character in the middle of the screen and the camera perspective changes very often. I'd try something First Person and see if you can get the hang of that.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 00:59 
Insiders
Insiders

You can try messing with your monitor settings to get it correct for your glasses.

How would I do that? I've got brightness, contrast, sharpness, and R/G/B settings. Presumably I would mess with the R/G/B, but how? There's literally a million possible settings.

This is also not the best game for 3D imho. There's a character in the middle of the screen and the camera perspective changes very often.

What does "the camera perspective changes very often" mean exactly? Do you mean it moves around a lot? Doesn't the camera move around even more in an FPS?

Anyway, I just tried Team Fortress 2, but this time, I tried using black & white mode. I had little trouble seeing depth in the weapon in my hand, and characters very close to me conveyed depth as well. But the level scenery is a mixed bag. Sometimes I think I see depth, sometimes I just lose my focus and see flatness, or double. And if a character is far away, I just see double. Obviously, TF2 is difficult to play in black and white, and I'd imagine not great in anaglyph mode either, but I'm just trying to get the 3D effect for the time being.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 04:25 
Insiders
Insiders

You can try messing with your monitor settings to get it correct for your glasses.

How would I do that? I've got brightness, contrast, sharpness, and R/G/B settings. Presumably I would mess with the R/G/B, but how? There's literally a million possible settings.

Well, I 'm not exactly sure how to, but I'm sure you're trying to match red and blue. I'm not sure how to fiddle with it, there were some people on here who know what each of the RGB settings actually change.

This is also not the best game for 3D imho. There's a character in the middle of the screen and the camera perspective changes very often.

What does "the camera perspective changes very often" mean exactly? Do you mean it moves around a lot? Doesn't the camera move around even more in an FPS?

Okay, maybe I said this wrong. Both the angles and position relative to the character on screen change dramatically in a 3rd person action game. This make it difficult to judge just where to focus, because where you want to focus changes constantly. On top of that the Auto Focus wants to focus on what in the middle of the screen. In mario 64 that's generally marios head which changes it's closest point to the camera a lot (like when he moves his head left or right as opposed to the back of his head) which makes the camera focus in and out. You can see this more clearly if you let the camera sit for a couple of seconds on mario.

On an FPS, the point at which is being focused is manually set to a distance in front of the character. Then auto focus will vary that distance depending on what ever object is looking at and how far it is. You don't have a honking character you control that you have to look at.

Anyway, I just tried Team Fortress 2, but this time, I tried using black & white mode. I had little trouble seeing depth in the weapon in my hand, and characters very close to me conveyed depth as well. But the level scenery is a mixed bag. Sometimes I think I see depth, sometimes I just lose my focus and see flatness, or double. And if a character is far away, I just see double. Obviously, TF2 is difficult to play in black and white, and I'd imagine not great in anaglyph mode either, but I'm just trying to get the 3D effect for the time being.

Black an white is meh. The colors are going to be washed out anyway due to the way anaglyph works. But it only makes it worst that you have a "red vs blue" type game where the colors you're using is red and blue for the 3D effect.

Have you tried using IZ3D's Dynamic Test in there help menu? If you can get that to display in 3D, you might get a better idea of what to do in a game.