Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 21:19 

Wow check out this review and videos from pc perspective. ATI got raped. Think it is time to sell my 5870's.

Just a funny quote from the review.
"We ran Metro 2033 with Advance DOF disabled because it brought all of the cards but the GTX 480 to an unplayable state."

http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=946

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 21:32 

Those numbers don't really make any sense. How is 5870 CF no faster than 5870 in L4D2? And only four games are tested. Not thorough enough to draw any hard and fast conclusions, though it is probable that Surround will be faster than Crossfire Eyefinity simply because SLI scales a little better than Crossfire, and also because Crossfire scaling in Eyefinity is not that good to begin with.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 21:57 

Yea it speaks for itself, and is obvious surround is the clear winner even if it is only 4 tests. I thought that was weird as well with the Left 4 Dead something not right there.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 01:10 

Tom's Hardware has compared the GTX 480 SLI vs the 5870 E6 2 GB and while the nVidia cards are faster they are not winning by a huge amount.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-vision-surround-stereoscopic-gaming,2672-7.html

The 2 Gb of memory may have helped a lot.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 01:13 

Tom's Hardware has compared the GTX 480 SLI vs the 5870 E6 2 GB and while the nVidia cards are faster they are not winning by a huge amount.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-vision-surround-stereoscopic-gaming,2672-7.html

The 2 Gb of memory may have helped a lot.

Interesting to see that the Eye 6 2gb in crossfire still gets beat by 480's, probably the first time I have seen price vs performance on Nvidia Side haha. Considering you can get 480's for cheaper then the Eyefinity 6 cards. Not sure how much the 2gb really helped, they should have tested regular 5870 as well.

So either way you look at it Nvidia is still on the top when it comes to surround... and I am sure it will only get better with newer drivers. This is still a beta driver.

Every one of those charts Nvidia was ahead actually by a lot.

Look at this massive lead haha.

I don't get what is different about this MW2 from the first one why are the numbers different?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 03:58 
Insiders
Insiders

You know what? I'm still happy with my purchase because i get up to 6 displays. nVidia gimps themselves with 3 in surround and 1 extended (that can only be used when a game is not using full screen).

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 04:02 

You know what? I'm still happy with my purchase because i get up to 6 displays. nVidia gimps themselves with 3 in surround and 1 extended (that can only be used when a game is not using full screen).

Yea that is cool but I would never go over three screens anyway especially for gaming, I mean look at the bench's with 3 screens don't think 6 would do that great performance wise haha. Are you using 6 displays? If so, do you game on 6 displays? What kind of performance do you get? 6 displays would not be very practical for most games, I could not stand bezels in the middle of my viewing area. I play mostly FPS games and that would suck, I also play a lot of racing games and I think that would also be annoying.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 04:22 
Insiders
Insiders

Yea that is cool but I would never go over three screens anyway especially for gaming, I mean look at the bench's with 3 screens don't think 6 would do that great performance wise haha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you using 6 displays?

No, I use 5 Screens like my signature states.

If so, do you game on 6 displays?

No I game on 3-5 Screens, ATM depends if I can get Windowed Mode or SoftTH to work.

What kind of performance do you get?

I get rather good performance on most games I play. Older games I get around 60 FPS. Newer game, I get most of the eyecandy and try to keep frames 24 FPS or Above. Most of the time I average 36 FPS. Now for me that's what I have been used to since I started gaming on the PC. I started using the TH2Go and a 4870 1GB, so I was used to trade offs. And I did my system on a budget, just like I do now. So I've just got a more crisper picture now, with better looking games. I'm really content. BTW I'm running only ONE 5870E6 Card.

NOTE: There are games where I have gotten 700 plus frames over 3 screens and in 3D with v-sync. Of course these are old except for one, Beat Hazard, but that only has 3D elements in the background, and those are just effects. But it just says some thing.

6 displays would not be very practical for most games, I could not stand bezels in the middle of my viewing area. I play mostly FPS games and that would suck, I also play a lot of racing games and I think that would also be annoying.

I play a ton of racing simulations, and shooters. So yes I realize that anyone using a single monitor and moving to a multiple monitor system would complay about the bezels. BUT you are not one of those. You have been multi-monitor gaming for a while, so even you should know that your brain fills in the gaps and you don't notice them (at least for vertical bezels). This is the same case here, except when you have to watch a FMV or use a menu do I realize that there are bezels in my face.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 06:18 

[quote]
Yea that is cool but I would never go over three screens anyway especially for gaming, I mean look at the bench's with 3 screens don't think 6 would do that great performance wise haha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you using 6 displays?

No, I use 5 Screens like my signature states.

If so, do you game on 6 displays?

No I game on 3-5 Screens, ATM depends if I can get Windowed Mode or SoftTH to work.

What kind of performance do you get?

I get rather good performance on most games I play. Older games I get around 60 FPS. Newer game, I get most of the eyecandy and try to keep frames 24 FPS or Above. Most of the time I average 36 FPS. Now for me that's what I have been used to since I started gaming on the PC. I started using the TH2Go and a 4870 1GB, so I was used to trade offs. And I did my system on a budget, just like I do now. So I've just got a more crisper picture now, with better looking games. I'm really content. BTW I'm running only ONE 5870E6 Card.

NOTE: There are games where I have gotten 700 plus frames over 3 screens and in 3D with v-sync. Of course these are old except for one, Beat Hazard, but that only has 3D elements in the background, and those are just effects. But it just says some thing.

6 displays would not be very practical for most games, I could not stand bezels in the middle of my viewing area. I play mostly FPS games and that would suck, I also play a lot of racing games and I think that would also be annoying.

I play a ton of racing simulations, and shooters. So yes I realize that anyone using a single monitor and moving to a multiple monitor system would complay about the bezels. BUT you are not one of those. You have been multi-monitor gaming for a while, so even you should know that your brain fills in the gaps and you don't notice them (at least for vertical bezels). This is the same case here, except when you have to watch a FMV or use a menu do I realize that there are bezels in my face.

Sorry didn't read your sig before posting haha.

Why do you choose to use softh when you have an Eyefinity 6 card? I don't see the point in that when you have everything you need with the card.

How are you doing 3D?

And yea I see your point if you were using 5 screens hor that would be the same as using 3 as far as bezels, BUT if you used 2X3 you would have a huge bezel right in the middle of everything and that would be hard not to notice. My brain would not fill in those gaps haha. You mentioned 6 screens so again I thought you were talking about 6 screens. Another thing is even 5 screens would seem like a waste, it is hard enough for me to see the ends of my side monitors with three screens I doubt I would even see anything on 2 extra screens in hor, if I did see anything it would be very limited and I probably would not make it out. Portrait is not an option for me it just does not make sense and you see even more of the bezels.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 14:40 

You might want to hold off, maybe ask yourself questions like "why is Dirt 2 not recommended by nVidia" etc.

The list of 3d surround ready games seems a lot smaller than ATI's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next