Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:20 
Hi all,

I am seeking some information regarding the use of 3 monitors for my PC, i will be dividing my time between gaming and video and photo editing. my question is will having 3 monitors reduce my frame rate below 30fps when playing AAA games and will 3 monitors help with video and photo editing?

I have a single GPU to run all three monitors

Equipment:
CPU - i7 7700k (still in cart)
RAM 16gb's DDR4 (still in cart)

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition (can go SLI if needed)
3x Acer XB281HK 28in 4K G-Sync Widescreen Gaming Monitor

Or a single Acer Predator X34 Curved 34in G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor

I am new to gaming and video/photo editing so i am seeking help with setting up the amount of monitors i need.

Cheers

Wedgie2007

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 04:31 

I have 3 Asus monitors in a 5760x1080 configuration with two GTX 1080s and I use them for gaming and work.
• I run Windows 10 Creators Edition
• I use DisplayFusion for Window snapping (toolbars have been problematic)
• I switch between 5760x1080 (nVidiaSurround) and 3 normal monitors @ 1920x1080. (Hotkey in nVidia control panel)
• Most fullscreen apps in 5760x1080 if they don’t support the resolution either skew to fit, center on the middle monitor, or support the resolution fine but might require tweaking for say game ui’s. Flawless Widescreen supports most of the popular titles.
• In a work setting I would recommend switching to non-surround mode as windows handles the windows better.

FPS won't really be an issue and yes SLI always helps but it's video memory you'll use in full screen apps that are running on a higher resolution. For comparison though I was running Ghost Recon Wildlands on max graphics @ 5760x1080 without any issue.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 07:06 

You don't actually plan to play games in 3x4K resolution ? That would be ridiculous :)

Also how do you go from "I am new to gaming and video/photo editing" to having such a beast of a computer ?

Sorry I can't give any advice :(

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 07:13 
antrad wrote:
You don't actually plan to play games in 3x4K resolution ? That would be ridiculous :)

Also how do you go from "I am new to gaming and video/photo editing" to having such a beast of a computer ?

Sorry I can't give any advice :(

The "beast of a computer" was picked by a friend and he left it up to me to pick the monitors. However i am a little stuck with what i should pick as i will be photo and video editing plus some AAA title gaming and not sure what my system could handle smoothly.