Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 14:51 

Unfortunately that did not work, it just shifted the screen up by the height of the windows task bar and kept the full screen appearance and didn't lock the mouse to the game display. I had to restart the game to bring it back to proper fullscreen, I also tried alternate ALT+Enter combo and restart to make sure I tried both instances.

i7 4770k | Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Z97 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400 | Asus R9 390X DC3 OC 8GB | Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD | 3x3TB WD Green HDD | 1x1TB WD Green HDD | Corsair H110i Cooler | Thermaltake T71 Tower Case | Logitech G27, G510, G13, G602, M570 | Custom Button Box running Sequential Shifter and G27 Pedals | Yamaha 5.1 Amp with Sony Muteki 5.2 Speakers | Razor Megalodon Headset | 3x27in Monitors @ 1080p or 5760x1080 | 1x23.6in Monitor @ 1080p | Custom Racing Rig |

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 16:14 

OK, it seems to be working now after changing video settings back and forth and restarting the game. I noticed something else impacting it too, I had my Windows task bar at the bottom of my 4th monitor (top mounted) and noticed that there was some of the game rendering under it. When the mouse extended up into this area and I clicked then it took the focus off the game, moving my task bar to the top of the screen seems to have fixed it, both the losing focus and the rendering of the game at the bottom of the 4th monitor.

I haven't had my setup for long and still getting used to working out the work-arounds, but I guess these are some of the problems we have to deal with when 3+ screening.

i7 4770k | Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Z97 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400 | Asus R9 390X DC3 OC 8GB | Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD | 3x3TB WD Green HDD | 1x1TB WD Green HDD | Corsair H110i Cooler | Thermaltake T71 Tower Case | Logitech G27, G510, G13, G602, M570 | Custom Button Box running Sequential Shifter and G27 Pedals | Yamaha 5.1 Amp with Sony Muteki 5.2 Speakers | Razor Megalodon Headset | 3x27in Monitors @ 1080p or 5760x1080 | 1x23.6in Monitor @ 1080p | Custom Racing Rig |

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 23:05 

JC3 appears to work mostly ok in triple-wide resolutions... when it doens't crash with a BSOD just as it finishes loading into the main menu. This happens about 50% of the time for me, but I think this tendency to crash is lessened if the game is started up at a lower resolution, then scaled up after it's done loading. (After the 1.0.2 patch at least. Earlier versions would crash badly if you tried that)

My one and only gripe though, is the FOV. It's insane how narrow it is by default. Even on a triple-wide display, it feels like playing through a telescopic view. I've searched far and wide for any fixes, but nobody appears to have found a way to tweak it. There certainly is no exposed setting for it (even though JC2 and Mad Max both had ways to tweak the FOV).

I then proceeded to search for FOV settings inside the game data, which is in itself quite a task... All game files are packed away (thankfully now unpackable thanks to Gibbed's modding toolset). The only reference to FOV settings I could find was in a file packed in game5.tab under \game5_unpack\scripts\modules, called camera.xvmc. That file seems to be translatable into an xml file, which contains a number of array definitions. On looking at the xvmc file itself with a hex editor though, I've found this:

That is the only mention of FOV so far I've encountered anywhere for this game. I suspect the values defined in the xml may relate to return values from methods compiled in this script (assuming that this is some sort of code file). Testing this is going to be quite a job though. I've never tried any modding on the Avalanche engine, and I've got very little to go on as to which values to actually change.

In any case, it's at least something to look into.

I'll write back if I manage to make any more progress on this (which is unlikely, as KSP is currently taking up all my time and mental bandwidth, as usual, and that ofc takes priority over anything else). In the meantime, if someone else wants to follow up on this lead, by all means, have at it. You'll need a hex editor and Gibbed's modding tools for JC3, available here: http://justcause3mods.com/mods/gibbeds- ... e-3-tools/

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2015, 09:07 
Insiders
Insiders

gave it a shot. narrow FOV make me want to puke (almost literally, when in a vehicle), and I get non-stop FPS drop and stutter. Tried about a dozen fixes that seem to work for some, with little change. Refunded.

Abram sad.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2015, 19:35 

Yeah, I'm really wishing I had done more research before I bought it on the Steam sale. I've played more than a couple hours already too so I can't even get a refund. I never had a problem with the FOV in JC2, but I have no idea what the hell they were thinking here. It's like walking around with binoculars on.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 11:17 

FYI: http://justcause3mods.com/mods/fov-patcher/

Credits go to trixnz.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 00:10 
Insiders
Insiders

n0pp3 wrote:

Cool beans. Re-purchased. thanks, N0pp3. Hopefully my other issues will be addressed with future patches/GPU drivers.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 23:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Jan 20 update broke the tool, but a new version came out today: https://github.com/trixnz/justfov/releases Now i can stomach to play the game again.

PS - After the patch i started the game and I got a stretched image. Not sure if it was teh FOV fix, or the patch itself. But setting the resolution to another size, then switching back fixed it.`

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 10:40 

Hi, complete surround-noob here. :) I just tried this yesterday in surround. What I noticed is that the game doesn't take into account the bezels. I.e. nothing gets hidden behind the bezels if you know what I mean. If I for example move Rico's head around to pan a car from the center screen to the right screen, then the whole car is visible all the time. Am I missing something or is this just something I will have to get used to in most games when using nv surround? If so, then bummer!!

Assetto Corsa for example, is not like that. There I can adjust pretty much everything, from how close to the screen I am sitting and how wide the bezels are, to how much angle the side monitors have.

Edit: Ehmm, wait a second now. This is what bezel correction is for, isn't it? :doh:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 23:04 

I see its on for a very good sale on Steam right now, very tempted but the big question: Does the FOV editor still work with it? I can see from another thread that this appears to be the latest version of it that's functional:
https://github.com/xforce/justfov/releases/tag/1.3

I'd very much love to get back into Just Cause, but only if it works with triple screen of course :)

Update: So that didn't work for me (win10 if that matters), the slider wouldn't move and it wouldn't accept input into the box any ways. Meanwhile the FOV feels a little close but it looks the same in single vs triple (ie it does just expand horizontally without tugging at the vertical).