Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Are you planning to upgrade to Windows 10?
Poll ended at 13 Jul 2015, 21:56
Yes! I'm already signed up for the free upgrade! 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but only after all the bugs have been worked out. 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Maybe, we will see how it goes. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
No. I'm not really looking forward to an upgrade. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Windows what now? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 21:56 

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to the world of multi-monitor widescreen gaming. I have to say that it definitely goes a long way towards increasing immersion in gaming, and is absolutely worthwhile. However, one big disappointment that I've had (particularly with NVIDIA's Surround technology) is that many of the nifty multi-tasking elements that make Windows a great productivity OS are broken when this type of setup is enabled. I know that NVIDIA's Surround offers hotkeys for disabling the setup quickly as a way to address this. That's really not ideal, and moreover tends to have unintended consequences (specifically icons get moved all over the place, and sometimes re-enabling doesn't work right).

That's why I've taken advantage of Microsoft's push to bring gaming back into Windows 10, and their impressive efforts with user feedback. I've started a suggestion through their feedback application to get them to recognize and, hopefully, address this with their new OS.

That said, we are a niche audience - a minority of a minority, if you will. As such, we are easily ignored. My feedback has been around for 5 months without a single "upvote". That's why I've come here, in hopes of raising awareness of the issue.

So please, if you are a Windows 10 insider, launch the Windows Feedback app and upvote my suggestion. You're welcome to add any comments as you will. If you're not a Windows Insider, why not join in on the fun? :) You can use the link below to get started:

https://insider.windows.com/

I can't link directly to my feedback, unfortunately, but you should be able to find it by searching for the following text in the Feedback app:

"Multi-monitor "surround" should be natively built-in to Windows."

It will be listed in the "Hardware, Devices, and Drivers" section, under "Display drivers".

Thank you!!!

:savews: :triplewide: :savews:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the full text of my suggestion
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Multi-monitor "surround" should be natively built-in to Windows. Currently, if someone has a setup with more than one monitor (say, a 3x1 or 2x1 setup) Windows recognizes each monitor and permits the user to "expand" the desktop to use the additional real-estate. However, when an application is launched in full-screen (like a video game) it only functions using the main monitor.

For productivity, this is usually not a scenario people would run into, but gaming is another story. NVIDIA and AMD both offer solutions to this with their respective Surround and EyeFinity setups. They essentially trick the OS into thinking that the multiple monitors are a single monitor with a really wide resolution. In turn, full-screen applications are able to use that wide resolution if programmed for it.

The problem is that because the solution isn't native, it's actually rather difficult to get this to work right with a lot of applications. Even worse, the productivity joys of Windows multi-monitor management are all thrown out the window (pun intended). This is made even worse by the Full Screen mode of Modern apps in Windows 8 and Windows 10, since there's no easy way to assign an app to a single monitor and wind up with really stretched applications with tons of negative space.

Please include a native solution in Windows 10 that maintains the multi-monitor awareness in the OS, but passes the resolution to certain full-screen apps (games in particular) as a single monitor so that we can enjoy our games in all of their pixels! :)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 03:36 
Insiders
Insiders

It's an excellent idea, & seems logical now that you propose it. You're right, OS graphics are on crutches for us, held up by other software. OS should be more flexible & display output how we want. We can organize our screens in Windows, why should it not meld them fullscreen? A guy wanting to spread a game should not have to constantly rely on additional software. I am speaking particularly about Manual PLP (where PC has no support). Maybe there's hope for even PLP, as Bill Gates likes it ;). I'd love to see this functionality in OS someday.

That all said, this functionality is not really needed, so maybe MS won't prioritize development. We're supported pretty well, with the right graphics card. Still, seems central & should be part of OS.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 03:30 
Insiders
Insiders

I voted for this suggestion. There are many suggestions on there for the same concept, so between them all there are a few requests for this.

The existing multi-monitor support is already fine for most non-gaming purposes. Windows emulates some aspects of the output (color depth changes on Windows 8 and later), so virtual resolutions might show up at some point.

Alternately, AMD/Nvidia could significantly overhaul their implementations to only run spanned when selected, but that's probably even less likely.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 17:58 

YES OF COURSE!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 18:51 

Garrett wrote:
I voted for this suggestion. There are many suggestions on there for the same concept, so between them all there are a few requests for this.

The existing multi-monitor support is already fine for most non-gaming purposes. Windows emulates some aspects of the output (color depth changes on Windows 8 and later), so virtual resolutions might show up at some point.

Alternately, AMD/Nvidia could significantly overhaul their implementations to only run spanned when selected, but that's probably even less likely.

Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the upvote! I agree that Windows multi-monitor support is fine. In fact, I think it's great! That's one of the things that bugs me so much about using NVIDIA Surround. I lose out on a lot of the cool multi-monitor management Windows offers, which is great for just about everything... except gaming.

Regarding the AMD/NVIDIA solution, that's certainly an interesting thought. My thinking here is that Windows, as the operating system, is better poised to intercept requests from an application and provide a different set of resolutions. That said I don't truly know whether that communication is handled by Windows, the graphics API (DirectX) or directly by the graphics driver.

I would imagine the application (games in this instance) probably communicate with the driver directly through the API. Since that's most likely part of DirectX, and Microsoft appears hard at work with DirectX 12 I figured the Insider program was a good place to make our feelings known :)

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 12:51 
Editors
Editors

I could not find this.
Maybe its region locked?

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk