Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 00:34 

Hi there fellow enthusiasts, i would just like to know your opinion on the Dell U2414H are there any users out there who own it either as a single monitor or as my setup will hopefully be, with 3 of them 5760x1080, id love to here your comments and experience with it.

After much deliberation ive decided to bring my Nvidia Surround setup monitor choice down to Dell U2414H and perhaps Acer H236HL, if anyone has any other suggestions of any other ips monitors with a nice thin bezel id greatly appreciate it, the difference are as goes the dell has 8ms but the Asus has 5ms but as far as my research has taken me their the same ms, i wont tell the difference and neither would anyone else. Am i right ?

i was also curious about their different contrast ratios id love some insight into that the Dell has DCR 2,000,000 (1,000:1) and the Acer has ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1), which one is superior and does it really matter ? i dont think there is a better monitor than the Dell out there when it comes to it tiny tiny Bezel, as i asked previously if anyone knows of any other ips Top quailty Monitors with a thin Bezel im all ears.

As far as connecting them to my Single 780 Ti i would have to do so with adapters to the Dells hdmi ports, but i wouldnt have to with the Acer since it has a Dvi port, this wont make a difference though will it since their both 60hz and hdmi wont run over 60hz anyway, Right ?

I intend to use these monitors for gaming and general internet browsing, games such as BF4, DayzSA, Arma 3, Assassins Creed, Garrys Mod, Tomb Raider, TitanFall perhaps a little Skyrim.

If you would be able to point out the obvious for me and determine which one would suffice my needs id be a happy man

Heres my build :

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Overclocking: 4.3Ghz - Extreme Overclock
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Extreme Water Cooler
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5
RAM: 16GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s HHD
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: CM Storm Trooper or Corsair Obsidian 750D (Not sure Yet)
PSU: 850W Corsair RM Fully Modular

Kind regards Elliot

Oh btw i am aware of the video linus done on NCIXcom with the Acer H236HL actually on Surround gaming but a little more insight into the Dell and any other monitors on the market with a thin Bezel, low ms and a top notch image quality would be nice :)

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 19:48 

Just a heads up. The display port on U2414h is faulty so if you pick that you need to go for active HDMI display adapters.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 18:02 

I purchased three Dell 23 inch monitors, stand, and Triple Head to Go months ago and the setup works wonderfully. My only regret is I didn't purchase bigger monitors for greater immersion. Maybe 27 inch monitors. I'd like to move to 40 inch television monitors in a corner setup in a spare room.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 03:49 

I have a U2414h triple monitor setup running nvidia surround and I love it! I can't speak on behalf of Acer but Dell makes very high quality monitors and I highly recommend them.

I upgraded from a Dell P2310h 23in x3 setup (3+ years of use) and I'm so happy I made the decision to go with the U2414h's. Thin borders, factory calibrated, 3 year premium warranty, 24in IPS panels...solid all around.

As someone mentioned earlier, I would avoid using displayport on these monitors if your going Nvidia surround route and go with all HDMI connections. Currently I'm running gtx 670 sli so I'm using 2 DVI to HDMI adapters and one straight HDMI and it works perfectly. Since your running Nvidia surround you don't have to worry about Limited RGB issues since the resolution will definitely be picked up as a PC resolution.

Let me know if you have other questions about the monitors and I'll try my best to answer them.

Read this review for a thorough analysis.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

kiax0001

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 08:10 

kiax0001 wrote:
I have a U2414h triple monitor setup running nvidia surround and I love it! I can't speak on behalf of Acer but Dell makes very high quality monitors and I highly recommend them.

I upgraded from a Dell P2310h 23in x3 setup (3+ years of use) and I'm so happy I made the decision to go with the U2414h's. Thin borders, factory calibrated, 3 year premium warranty, 24in IPS panels...solid all around.

As someone mentioned earlier, I would avoid using displayport on these monitors if your going Nvidia surround route and go with all HDMI connections. Currently I'm running gtx 670 sli so I'm using 2 DVI to HDMI adapters and one straight HDMI and it works perfectly. Since your running Nvidia surround you don't have to worry about Limited RGB issues since the resolution will definitely be picked up as a PC resolution.

Let me know if you have other questions about the monitors and I'll try my best to answer them.

Read this review for a thorough analysis.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

kiax0001

I am interested in a 5 x 1 setup ( portrait display). Can you mask somehow to low bezel ? Or ... Do you see any decent way to remove it without damaging the electronics ?

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 10:35 

Oh thank you for the replies, well after post and post and many questions and hours upon hours of research ive chosen to go with amd cards and specifically crossfire vapor r9 290, the perfect set of gpus for 5760 x 1080, i originally went down the 780 ti route but after talking it through the 3gb wouldnt be sufficient for use at this moment and in order to meet the minimum requirements for some games at this veyr moment while using 3 monitors and i want to make my build future proof.

I would end up with problems and most likely have to replace them with new cards with higher memory soon than later (waiting for the 780 ti 6Gb is just not something i can be asked to do) Remember that the u2414h is an ips 60mhz and thus it maximum fps is 60fps anyway if i can reach that and keep it stable with crossfire 290 then thats their job done and that extra fps from sli 780 ti would be wasted and ofc that extra £300 - £400 could be spent better else where.

I also considered crossfire vapor r9 290x however the extra £240 that will cost over crossfire vapor 290 does not justify the minimal 5 - 7 % increase in performance. i could overclock the 290's and probably get them near to the vapor 290x, performance and save that money ><

I was actually meaning to ask about the connections with the u2414h, i didnt want to purchase the wrong adapters etc and then find my self with everything going wrong, their specific and must be of high quailty from what im aware of, so they wont break down on me 2 months later. would someone be able to link me on amazon or somewhere else the exact adapters required, people talk about requiring active etc, im a little confused.

Here are the outut connections for the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290 4GB GDDR5, i will have 2 of them so its these x 2

1 x HDMI (with 3D)
1 x DisplayPort 1.2
2 x Dual-Link DVI-D

Did you daisy chain the monitors together btw ?

Thanks a bunch
Elliot

Yeh thats a great review, praises the monitor a lot, only enforcing my confidence in choosing it, its just a shame it cant have normal output connections ^^

I also got myself the XFX triple monitor stand btw, just looks so damn beautiful. got a really good deal on one. Would you recommend a particular case that goes with it lol. my original choice was 750d and it still is, curious if there are any cases out there that might match the stand a little more :)

Here a links to one of the other posts i made about this discussion and their comments,

http://www.overclock.net/t/1489049/cros ... ack-please

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 11:02 
Insiders
Insiders

A friend bought 2 U2414H and saw them yesterday. I got to say, I am a bit jealous and would love to replace my U2311H's with U2414H's. The only thing that is keeping me from doing that is the lack of g-sync support (goes for about any one monitor right now). Have to be patient I guess... Not my strongest trait ;)
@prochaos, did you finish your build and how is it?

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 12:36 

Wijkert wrote:
A friend bought 2 U2414H and saw them yesterday. I got to say, I am a bit jealous and would love to replace my U2311H's with U2414H's. The only thing that is keeping me from doing that is the lack of g-sync support (goes for about any one monitor right now). Have to be patient I guess... Not my strongest trait ;)
@prochaos, did you finish your build and how is it?

Hye nah not yet, unfortunately the Sapphire vapor-x r9 290 cards are a little hard to get hold of at the moment, so im having to wait for stocks to fill back up, im still a little confused about the u2414h connections, what wires to use with amd cards, to hook all 3 up and what connections to use.

a simple diagagram from gpu to to monitor 1 to monitor 2 and to monitor 3 would be nice with what wire to use for each connection. only need 3 wires but which in order not to have problems down the line ><

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 13:30 
Insiders
Insiders

prochaos wrote:
Hye nah not yet, unfortunately the Sapphire vapor-x r9 290 cards are a little hard to get hold of at the moment, so im having to wait for stocks to fill back up, im still a little confused about the u2414h connections, what wires to use with amd cards, to hook all 3 up and what connections to use.

a simple diagagram from gpu to to monitor 1 to monitor 2 and to monitor 3 would be nice with what wire to use for each connection. only need 3 wires but which in order not to have problems down the line ><

It has been a while since I had a AMD card, but I believe you can do the following. Connect all 3 monitors to the top card using 2 DVI to HDMI cables (HDMI is basically a DVI signal plus sound, so no adapter is needed) and either connect the last one via DP or just use an normal HDMI cable.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 14:02 
Editors
Editors

Wijkert wrote:
A friend bought 2 U2414H and saw them yesterday. I got to say, I am a bit jealous and would love to replace my U2311H's with U2414H's.

Please elaborate!

After I've used the Eizo Foris I don't want to buy a new Monitor except he has 120 Hz + Backlight strobing, Adaptive or G sync and 3d capability. But that might take some time to reach the market ^^

@Porchas
These Monitors Support Daisy Chain, so theoretical you could use a Single DP cable from GPU to Monitor A, daisy chain from Monitor A to B, and again from Monitor B to C.
This should work!