Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 23:01 
Insiders
Insiders

Sadly, it looks like Unreal Tournament 4 and presumably anything based on UE4 will still be vert- by default. At least, the pre-alpha build of UT4 that's publicly available is vert-.

Given how many games were built on UE3 and vert- without community fixes, that's pretty discouraging. Hopefully Epic will consider fixing it, but they don't have a good track record for mult-monitor support.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 10:57 
Editors
Editors

Blast from the past: Vert- is the right way, according to Epic Games

But !
UT4 is still in the early stages of "open" development, and there are a lot more people concerned about Vert- this time around (UT3 was released in 2007, Eyefinity appeared in 2009, UWS monitors only a couple years ago)... It won't be easy, but the game can still be saved.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 13:59 
Editors
Editors

Bah.
At least most UE3 Games are fixed by a simple INI edit.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 21:08 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't know about that. I've always thought of UE as one of the least multi-monitor friendly engines and there are a bunch of games in which an ini edit wouldn't suffice and were only fixed by Widescreen Fixer or Flawless Widescreen. In fact, I don't think there's any vert- UE game that can be fixed with an ini edit. All the ini edits will get you is the option to select the multi-monitor resolution. They won't ever make a UE game hor+ to my knowledge.

None of the actual Unreal games have gotten any hor+ support. Borderlands 1 was vert- and never truly, permanently fixed, although independent developers tried. Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel both have menus and chat that were never fixed. Dishonored required Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer for months after release, although the developers eventually did fix it. Bioshock 1 required Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer and still had stretched HUD. Bioshock 2 had vert- weapons and stretched HUD. Alice: Madness Returns required Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer. Bullestorm required Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer. Hawken is vert- with no fix. All 3 Mass Effect games required Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer. Mirror's Edge required a Racer_S hack. Spec Ops: The Line required Widescreen/Widescreen Fixer.

The only Unreal Engine games I played that properly supported mutli-monitor resolutions without community fixes were the Batman: Arkham series, DmC, and Bioshock Infinite.

I can't think of a single UE game that was made hor+ with just an ini edit.

It's really, really bad. C'mon Epic, show us some love.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 16:33 
Editors
Editors

scavvenjahh wrote:
"Bah" ? My dear fellow, fixing the FOV is only the easier part of the problem...

That was more of a "bah they never learn" than a "bah who cares"

And you see, the last UE Game I played around with FoV was Mind Path to Thalamus
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/mind-path-thalamus/en

Which does not really have a GUI so the devs did not limit anything in the Unreal engine and a simple Line will get your Game Hor+

So you could Blame the Engine for not being Hor+ native (and maybe we really should) but it is possible to get it right if the developer's put enough resources into it.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 14:50 
Editors
Editors

Oooh, this "bah" ! :lol: Sorry I got it wrong.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 16:55 

Is the console command FOV 120 maximum you can get? I'd play in wide if it was just a tad bit higher. Menus are a mess though, but you can still get to a game.

Fov 120
http://i.imgur.com/yL65DeN.jpg

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 12:38 
Insiders
Insiders

Has anyone reached out to the devs? Is this open source?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 17:04 
Editors
Editors

The playable protoype, the engine and the source code are available to all, just register to the New UT Forum to gain access.
Not many discussions about the FOV yet.