Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 05:50 
I Donated
I Donated

BHawthorne wrote:
Anyone know if it supports 2x1 spanning? Is this 900-series specific or will it work on 700-series too?

Looks like 1 x 2 and 2 x 1 are options (I have 980). I didn't click on them since I like my setup and my computer just got jacked up trying to mess with it (I'm just happy it works now, so I'll leave it alone).

Attachment:
NVS.jpg
NVS.jpg [ 128.07 KiB | Viewed 3788 times ]

BHawthorne wrote:
Slightly OT but doesn't hurt to ask, anyone know if the current Nvidia 3D Vision Surround works in portrait mode? A few years ago I knew it didn't. With the changes in Nvidia Surround I thought I'd revisit the question again.

No, the 3D glasses and monitor are polarized at an angle. If you rotate the monitors into portrait then they turn completely black when looking through the glasses.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 07:53 
Insiders
Insiders

cybereality wrote:
BHawthorne wrote:
Anyone know if it supports 2x1 spanning? Is this 900-series specific or will it work on 700-series too?

Looks like 1 x 2 and 2 x 1 are options (I have 980). I didn't click on them since I like my setup and my computer just got jacked up trying to mess with it (I'm just happy it works now, so I'll leave it alone).

Attachment:
NVS.jpg

BHawthorne wrote:
Slightly OT but doesn't hurt to ask, anyone know if the current Nvidia 3D Vision Surround works in portrait mode? A few years ago I knew it didn't. With the changes in Nvidia Surround I thought I'd revisit the question again.

No, the 3D glasses and monitor are polarized at an angle. If you rotate the monitors into portrait then they turn completely black when looking through the glasses.

Excellent to know 2x1 is an option for GTX980. Definitely the information I was looking for.

That might be so for LCD, but I'm talking projector where there is no polarized screen. I'm used to Nvidia 3D Vision Surround with triple Optoma GT720. Looking to upgrade in either 2015 or 2016 to Laser-LED projectors that'll allow portrait orientation mounting. That 1920 pixel height on portrait sounds very appealing for projector users. Adding in 3D Vision Kit would just be icing on the cake.

A few years ago when I last checked 3D Vision Kit in portrait the driver would lock the option out saying it's not available. I'm mostly curious to see if the option is still locked out. Projector would be fine with 3D Vision Kit portrait, but the driver might not be ok with it still.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 05:16 
I Donated
I Donated

I gave it a go, but unfortunately the stereo 3D settings disappear when in portrait Surround. Sorry.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 06:13 
Insiders
Insiders

No worries, was pretty much expecting it. Very good to see the new 2x1, 4x1 and 5x1 options though. That puts things in parity with Eyefinity. It's always been an issue with 2x1 because I'd have to expalin why AMD Eyefinity was able to do 2x1, 3x1, 4x1 and 5x1 but Nvidia was only able to do 3x1. That went on for years. Glad to see that Nvidia is caught up again. Makes it less confusing for me to explain spanning mode options for projectors now.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 14:12 
Insiders
Insiders

There is no option and NEVER will be for 3D Vision to work in 3D Surround with Monitors...
A LCD is refreshed Top->Bottom. Putting each monitor 90 degrees shifted will mean this rule breaks...
The way 3D Surround works is by making a huge resolution and one logical screen on which ONE Refresh rate is applied across the WHOLE Surround Virtual Screen.

If you try to do this in portrait mode you can't unless you HAVE monitors that can refresh in Left->Right (or Right->Left)... With projectors this is not the case...
Its basically a functional limitation.... Think about it:)

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 02:37 
Insiders
Insiders

You guys keep on mentioning these silly things called monitors. ;)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 22:10 
Insiders
Insiders

A bit of a follow up for completeness sake. We now know 2x1, 3x1, 4x1 and 5x1 is viable on Nvidia Surround. Is 2x2 and 3x4 available too?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 09:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Wow, that's one less reason to keep with AMD, now if only they had an option to map a wide gamut lcd to s-rgb like AMD does. Then they would have feature parity.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 04:30 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm using Nvidia Surround 2x1 right now on my GTX770 347.52 drivers. Never would of thought that would happen. It's a welcome surprise. Makes me wonder how it finally came about since it pretty much doesn't look like anything about WSGF brought it about.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 16:42 

Anyone knows if Mixed resolution works with nVidia now as well? I Really want to go to the green side but I need mixed resolution surround.