Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 15:47 

Just wondering if anyone knows if a [16:10][21:9][16:10] Setup is possible yet for gaming, with either nVidia or AMD at the moment?

Im looking into replacing my current center screen with a 21:9 screen but hopefully retain the triple screen setup without requiring me to get 3 new screens.

Also, do most Widescreen fixers support such a setup?

AMD has the following graphic on their site which maybe means it does support it...

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by CY:G on 26 Sep 2014, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 16:28 
Editors
Editors

Yes! It is possible with AMD. It rolled out with the Catalyst 14.6 Beta drivers. The monitors have to be in the same orientation (all portrait or all landscape), but other than that, you can mix and match a bunch of different aspect ratios.

AMD Driver Page: http://support.amd.com/en-us

If you want to learn more we have a few videos:

Skip's Voice Chat w/AMD reps (Robert Hallock - AMD Tech Communications, Sharne Parfill - AMD Technology Manager, Anthony Brown - AMD Software Dev)
http://www.wsgf.org/news/exclusive-chat-w-amd-catalyst-146-and-mixed-res-eyefinity

WSGF News Episode 12
http://www.wsgf.org/news/wsgf-news-episode-12

On the NVIDIA side of things, as far as I know, at this moment it is not supported by NVIDIA. Hopefully that will change soon!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 16:32 

TheDestroyer wrote:
Yes! It is possible with AMD. It rolled out with the Catalyst 14.6 Beta drivers. The monitors have to be in the same orientation (all portrait or all landscape), but other than that, you can mix and match a bunch of different aspect ratios.

AMD Driver Page: http://support.amd.com/en-us

If you want to learn more we have a few videos:

Skip's Voice Chat w/AMD reps (Robert Hallock - AMD Tech Communications, Sharne Parfill - AMD Technology Manager, Anthony Brown - AMD Software Dev)
http://www.wsgf.org/news/exclusive-chat-w-amd-catalyst-146-and-mixed-res-eyefinity

WSGF News Episode 12
http://www.wsgf.org/news/wsgf-news-episode-12

On the NVIDIA side of things, as far as I know, at this moment it is not supported by NVIDIA. Hopefully that will change soon!

Thank you so much for the answer!

Now I wonder if games will work properly...

Last edited by CY:G on 05 Sep 2014, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 16:37 
Editors
Editors

No problemo! That is what I'm here for.

I explain kind of how it works in the WSGF News video. I don't have any experience with it, so if you need help just let me know. I'll pull out one of my smaller monitors and set it up on my rig to help walk you through it.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 16:56 

TheDestroyer wrote:

I explain kind of how it works in the WSGF News video. I don't have any experience with it, so if you need help just let me know. I'll pull out one of my smaller monitors and set it up on my rig to help walk you through it.

Im about to pull the trigger on a the LG 21:9 29" monitor but im getting nervous.

Basically Im not sure how games will react to this setup, and if Widescreen Fixer and Flawless Widescreen will work with it.

Im worried I will open up my games and they wont get patched properly for the resolution.

My guess is that the resolution would be: 6400 * 1080

Wondering if you can test it out or if someone else has experience with this kind of setup while running games.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2014, 22:05 
Founder
Founder

CY:G wrote:
TheDestroyer wrote:

Im about to pull the trigger on a the LG 21:9 29" monitor but im getting nervous.

Basically Im not sure how games will react to this setup, and if Widescreen Fixer and Flawless Widescreen will work with it.

Im worried I will open up my games and they wont get patched properly for the resolution.

Wondering if you can test it out or if someone else has experience with this kind of setup while running games.

I'm hoping to set this up soon on mine. Should have time in the next week or so. Do you have specific games you're wondering about?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 14:21 

skipclarke wrote:
CY:G wrote:
TheDestroyer wrote:

I'm hoping to set this up soon on mine. Should have time in the next week or so. Do you have specific games you're wondering about?

Right now Im playing a lot of triple screen Dark Souls 2, but im just wondering about games in general, maybe some native Eyefinity games like Dirt/Grid as well as games that require flawless widescreen like Sonic and All stars racing transformed :triplewide: , thank you so much for looking into it, really interesting to see how they handle it.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 17:38 
Founder
Founder

I would imagine that anything native will work fine. Things that need Flawless or WSF may need an update to the plugin, depending on how the plugin was implemented.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 14:42 

I ordered the monitor hoping for the best, and it works, you need the new Beta drivers from AMD, but after some config, it handles it perfectly, just adding black bars to the outside monitors.

Only tried Dark Souls 2, hoping other games handle the 6400 * 1080 resolution this good.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 22:15 
Editors
Editors

The black bars sure look bad. Can't you configure it it overcalculate the middle monitor?