Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 May 2024, 18:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 13:50 
Editors
Editors

As falcon stated, the 8 threads nowadays don't bring much more performance in games. Only special Programs or maybe in the near Future!
Especially if you're going with a K version (means you must over clock or its a waste of money!) there is no big difference from this i5 to i7

@Powerdrain, yeah 600W from the Wall would be around 530W system usage internally.
Most PSU have an optimal load of 80% (iirc) but there are some which are way more efficient than others. I.e. my Enermax MaxRevo 1500W thingy is more efficient with 180W idle load than most others! Surely nowadays with platinum standard that might not be true anymore.... but its still efficient.
The perfect PSU is a complicated topic. But a Working PSU is an easy topic. Most PSU do 5-7 Years without problems. Some strange Brands do less, and some totally lie about their efficiency. Choosing one you like and then reading a few benchmarks/reviews is always recommended.
p.s if I'd buy one now I'd buy one with a USB plug so you can see your system powerdrain in Windows xD but I'm a gadget freak.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 14:05 
Insiders
Insiders

General consensus on the big hardware sites like HardOCP, Anandtech, and TomsHardware seems to be that a core i5 is the best price/performance ratio for gaming. I believe some of the more in depth benchmarks have demonstrated that you really have to be pushing 3 or 4 GPUs to take advantage of the performance on a core i7.

Tom's Latest CPU for Gaming Recommendations

Anandtech's Latest CPU for Gaming Recommendations

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 07:49 

I've got a problem with the triple-monitor project: space! The problem is fitting the three monitors in the house in a way my loved one will find acceptable. I've figured a solution would be to keep the 46" Panasonic plasma TV that I use for gaming and add two screens on either side (those screens would be best at 27" in portrait - an almost perfect fit, in fact). With the peripheral monitors in portrait, I guess that's a 4080 x 1080 resolution across the three monitors (1080 + 1920 + 1080 = 4080).

If you're wondering why less space is taken with a very large TV: it's because with the large TV screen, I can keep the TV up against the wall; whereas with smaller monitors, they will need to be brought towards my face, thus imposing on the space in a difficult way).

So I'm hoping to use mismatched monitors. I've understood that you can use mismatched monitors with GPUs in SLI, but they have to have the same resolution, refresh rate, and sync polarity. I'm thinking this won't be possible for me as it's pretty much impossible to get info on what sync polarity a monitor has. And the plasma is reportedly 600hz.

How can I get high framerates at max settings with mimatched monitors? Ideally with the two peripheral monitors in portrait. Any ideas?

Is it to just use one GPU? A GTX 780? A GTX 780 ti? The soon-to-be-released GTX 780 ti 6gb? Is therer any way of continuing with the two GPUs in SLI? What kind of results could I expect? Any idea?

I recognise this is getting a bit complicated.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 19:06 

Falcon1 wrote:
600W from the wall outlet? Then, that's before the PSU efficiency. 800W PSU means, it can deliver 800W. It might be draining more from the the wall outlet.

Here in Germany, electricity is quite expensive. I always recommend smaller PSUs, so that it works with optimal efficiency. (Typically at at least 50% load)

850 actually seems just right for crossfire. I peek at around 720watts from the wall when I hook up a kill-o-watt meter when I max my dual gpu 7990 and pin my i7 at 100% all cores. I run a 1000watt psu
I would also stay away from the Xeon