Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 16:54 
Founder
Founder

I have replicated this post as an article on the site (attributed to Truecade). Just wanted to thank you for sharing your work with us. The article is in the news feed, and has been Tweeted/Facebooked.

http://www.wsgf.org/article/zero-bezel- ... tysurround

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 23:16 
Administrators
Administrators

Our previous military flight simulator at work used a very similar process to get a 3x1 visual setup. Nice job!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 13:12 

Hello,
really nice project. I registered because I have some questions about the way you built it. I want to make one for myself, but I dont really get how it actually works.
I will be glad if someone explains me how this works exactly. The things that I dont understand are:

1.Are you seeing the real image of the monitors that are placed on the sides (left and right)
2.If you are seing the real image of the two side monitors, why do you need so wide glass(mirror) ?
3.Where exactly is the mirror placed(situated) (Is is on the top of the box on a 45 degree angle according to the monitors (side monitors) ?
4.What is the surface (material, color) that you are projecting the reflected image on ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Rosen

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2013, 22:40 
Administrators
Administrators

Just had a look for you to see if I could answer any of these.

1.Are you seeing the real image of the monitors that are placed on the sides (left and right) - Yes
2.If you are seing the real image of the two side monitors, why do you need so wide glass(mirror) ? - Because the edges of a mirror that did not extend all the way across would refract light where they end and create a physical line that you could see if it ended halfway along the side monitors.
3.Where exactly is the mirror placed(situated) (Is is on the top of the box on a 45 degree angle according to the monitors (side monitors) ? - The mirror is at 45 degrees, with the top of the mirror closest to you and the bottom furthest from you, and runs the full length from left to right.
4.What is the surface (material, color) that you are projecting the reflected image on ? - The side monitors simply shine through the half-mirror (it's a mirror that lets light through so you can see the monitors behind). The center monitor bounces off the mirror directly to your face. It does not project onto anything.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 01:57 

Hello everyone!

im new here and im more than interested in building this setup myself, however im worried about the monitor that is laid on the setup's base because from my point of view it can be pretty annoying just having that reflection there.

so i was thinking how can this be erradicated and i thought on a possible setup, similar the the way the pheriscopes on the submarines work.

so i did this drawing, please forgive my english and drawing skills!

the view is side view, the red lines are mirrors ( i will need 2 of them instead of 1 ) and the whole idea is putting the 3rd monitor below the others 2, in standing position, rather than laid out in the base.

i hope you can get my point

please let me know your thoughts, will this be possible?

thanks and regards!!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 02:21 

This is awesome...

Truecade wrote:

If anyone finds a better way to mirror-flip a single screen in a multi-monitor Eyefinity setup, I'm all ears. I'm thinking it would have to be a custom driver or firmware.

Pop the middle monitor open and flip the LCD panel around. It should work, but it may be a little jenky to keep together depending on how the monitor is designed.

One other question, how does it look from an angle? And with everything aligned properly, will it look just as good from the side?

This could potentially be awesome. Just think, 2 screen eyefinity is now feasible...

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 05:57 

Possibly a little late to the party but Windows 7 has the option to flip/rotate monitors via software on the desktop when you setup your screen orientations and resolution. Awkward when working outside of a Windows environment I'm sure but definitely a cheaper option for "testing" purposes.

My concern about this setup is making it narrower as I'm thinking of running displays in portrait with this setup (something along the lines of 3240/3600x1920) but even with a 22" monitor it just comes out way too far for my liking. Trying to play around with different angles come to mind but at the moment I'm still in the guessing game arena. Any thoughts?

Something 13-15" wide is fine but 20"+ is definitely pushing it for me. Thinking if I orient the bottom screen at say 60/65/70 degrees and then try and match that with a mirror on top will I still get the right picture.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 23:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Valo wrote:
Possibly a little late to the party but Windows 7 has the option to flip/rotate monitors via software on the desktop when you setup your screen orientations and resolution. Awkward when working outside of a Windows environment I'm sure but definitely a cheaper option for "testing" purposes.

My concern about this setup is making it narrower as I'm thinking of running displays in portrait with this setup (something along the lines of 3240/3600x1920) but even with a 22" monitor it just comes out way too far for my liking. Trying to play around with different angles come to mind but at the moment I'm still in the guessing game arena. Any thoughts?

Something 13-15" wide is fine but 20"+ is definitely pushing it for me. Thinking if I orient the bottom screen at say 60/65/70 degrees and then try and match that with a mirror on top will I still get the right picture.

Unfortunately, windows 7 doesn't allow you to mirror the output, just turn it 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013, 08:01 

Ahh yes I see my mistake there now. Surely if those movements can be done then mirror can be done in software somewhere too.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 22:25 
I Donated
I Donated

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but is the OP still around? If so, any new projects?