Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 06:43 

I'm attempting to achieve a 4240 x 1024 total resolution using mixed resolution monitors.

My current setup uses AMD/ATI Eyefinity via one display port adapter to DVI, and the two other DVI ports off the video card. I originally had three 19 inch monitors running 3840 x 1024, which has suited me just fine for several years. I recently acquired three Samsung SyncMaster 220wm's which have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050, and I immediately hooked them all up to achieve my current resolution of 5040 x 1050. But you know what? 5040x1050 is just... too wide. I feel almost no shame saying that. Not only has there been a drop in framerate in most of my games, I also haven't really taken advantage of the additional desktop space. It's too much!

On the other hand, I've totally fallen in love with having a wide screen monitor in the center of my setup. The bezels have been pushed out considerably, and the additional viewing area has been awesome in games. So, I thought to myself "Self, you've got all these leftover 19 inch monitors lying around, why not just put one of those on each side and keep a widescreen in the middle?" Genius! But when I tried, Eyefinity decided that what I really wanted was to have my center monitor running at 1280x1024 to match my left/right, and have everything stretched horribly running at my old resolution of 3840x1024. Fail!

I can understand why the software freaked out a little and wouldn't allow a monitor with a vertical resolution of 1050 to match one with 1024... But what if I forced my center monitor's resolution down from 1680x1050 to 1680x1024? Then Eyefinity would think that all three monitor's vertical resolutions were the same, and it would have no choice but to obey my will!!! Genius!!! So, with a lot of trial and error and dorking around with the thing, I finally got the center monitor to run at 1680x1024. And immediately upon creating the Eyefinity group through the Catalyst Control Center, I was right back to 3840x1024. Fail.

Has anyone ever achieved Eyefinity (or any surround/multi-monitor setup) with vertical resolutions that don't match? Can anyone provide me with alternate methods of forcing non-standard resolutions on a monitor (this thread seemed to have some methods at one point, but all the links are missing)? I liked the idea of just chopping down the center monitor to match the two sides; that way there was none of the stretching/skewing you get when you scale a monitor to a non-standard resolution. Would a non-Eyefinity setup possibly provide a better solution? Any advice would be much appreciated!

TL;DR - this is what I want:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 13:57 
Editors
Editors

Its NOT possible to run Eyefinity if you don't have the exact same Resolution on all Monitors.
Worse in Surround, that will only work if you have the exact same Resolution and same polaristion. (Still the same with new GTX680 generation right?)

If you want to use mixed Resolution the you have to use "SoftTH" but that will only work with DX9 games!
But SoftTH has become OpenSource short time ago, so maybe DX10 and DX11 support will be implented anywhen in the future.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 18:04 
Insiders
Insiders

I think I remember somebody saying they had good results setting the monitors up as separate extended monitors and then running the game in windowed mode. It might not work with some games or it might not work at all, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 20:56 

I actually have a setup exactly like this, I know this is an old thread but it worked for me and I'm running 4240x1024 perfectly fine.

Screenshot to prove it: http://imgur.com/9YOHsSv

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2015, 03:44 
Editors
Editors

Indeed, AMD added Mixed Resolution Eyefinity in their driver somewhere between 2014 and 2015.
They've even added limited support (only on the newest GPU's) for PLP (Portrait | Landscape | Portrait) Setups.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 23:49 

Mine works, with a little tweaking in catalyst.

http://imgur.com/GxMpeYH

Attachments:
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 2491 times ]