Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 02:29 

Hey all, first post for me on this forum!

I'll be building a new curved screen with two BenQ W1080ST 1080p short throw projectors. I was thinking of using two 4x8 flexible panels from home depot for a 4 foot by 14 foot screen and then paint them with home theater screen paint. I have two 6970 AMD graphics cards in crossfire to push the display and 4.5ghz (overclocked) intel processor. A couple of questions:

1. By using two projectors, the warping software (probably Nthusism or Immersive Display Pro) will meet in the center of the screen. Will the warping software make the center blurry? This could be a problem for FPS games so hoping that's not the case.

2. What about rear projection? I should have the space but is rear projection as good quality as front projection? Does the image fade too much from the rear projection? I've seen rear projection film screens that might be a possibility if this is a better option.

3. Should the projectors be a the corner of the room or the center? If at the corners, would the image crossing before they hit the screen cause any distortion or loss in quality?

I'm new to the simulation world so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ben

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 03:17 

There is some blurring where the blending happens, but that all depends on how good you are at blending, the position of the projectors, and the quality of the software you are using. Display Pro is pretty good, Warpalizer has the best quality by far, but there are some kinks with multi-GPU use, so at the moment I use both.

I went the rear projection route. There is no quality loss, but that depends on the screen. Screen manufactures will send you free samples of their products if you ask, so you can compare them at home. I have a high-end, rear projection screen from Da-Lite that works very well. Rear projection has some benefits that I preferred; I sit close to the screen, cause I play a lot of games competitively and likes to sit up close. Noise is another reason, projectors are loud, with rear projection they are further away from you and behind a screen.

For rear projection you have no choice but to put the projectors at the corners, for front you have the option of crossing. I don't believe there is any image quality loss when you do that. I would go with whatever moves the noise as far away from you as possible.

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 05:28 

Great info, thanks! So if there is some blurring with the software then I would assume FPS would be a problem with two projectors since the middle of the screen is where they'd meet. Is the blurring very noticeable or with enough patience with working with the software, could it be unnoticeable? My options are two of the new benq W1080ST short throw projectors or three Acer H6510BD non-short throw for about the same price. I would assume that three non-short throw projectors would be difficult to arrange but the blurring would be at the sides and not down the middle. What do you think would be best?

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 16:52 

Snipe3000 wrote:
Warpalizer has the best quality by far, but there are some kinks with multi-GPU use, so at the moment I use both.

Thanks! I've seen your YouTube channel. Good work! The thread starter should also check it out.

To BSSELP,
1. With Warpalizer you can "double" the control points so you can really fine tune your warping. I would recommend to ask for demo versions/trials of the different Warp and blend software so you can test yourself. :)

2. The first screen i made i used 3 or 4mm PLEXIGLAS / Transparent Acryllic with rear projection film on, I was blown away by the quality of the picture. It was really amazing! But even tho the producers of the rear projection film promised no hotspots, it was a hot spot. You will also use a bit bigger space with a rear projection screen.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 10:02 

Check this out -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mEpbgSB ... 3&index=28

2 projectors for 180 degrees, they are using Immersive Display

I don't know how many windows x-plane is running to get the 180 degree effect, but the blending looks seamless.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 19:36 

Good info! What kind of issues do you have with using two graphics cards in Crossfire with the Warpalizer or other blending software? I didn't realize that this could be a problem...

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:36 
Insiders
Insiders

bsselp wrote:
1. By using two projectors, the warping software (probably Nthusism or Immersive Display Pro) will meet in the center of the screen. Will the warping software make the center blurry? This could be a problem for FPS games so hoping that's not the case.

2. What about rear projection? I should have the space but is rear projection as good quality as front projection? Does the image fade too much from the rear projection? I've seen rear projection film screens that might be a possibility if this is a better option.

3. Should the projectors be a the corner of the room or the center? If at the corners, would the image crossing before they hit the screen cause any distortion or loss in quality?

1. No, if it's properly calibrated the blends should not be noticeable. Be mindful that if you do an Eyefinity 2x1 with center blend that you want very rigid projector mounts or you'll be fine tuning things a lot. The more rigid the projector mounts the less drift over time you'll have to compensate for.

2. There are advantages to rear projection over front projection. The main issue is having room to account for lens throw. If you have the room and can afford rear projection screen material it's a good option. At issue with most front projection builds is you have to be mindful of everything in front of the screen as to not block the projection.

3. The projector mounting location is solely dependent upon the lens throw of the projector to fill the area of the screen with pixels. That varies from projector to projector. To find that location pull the projector back on the center line of a 100 degrees of projection area till the screen just fills with pixels. This can be done by just powering up the projector and letting the no-signal splash blue screen cover the area. That'll give you the mounting location. Make sure not to have any more pixels splashing outside of the screen than necessary to cover the area required. You'll always lose some pixels to outside the screen but minimize that number when choosing a projector mount location. Depending upon what the projector lens throw ratio is, sometimes that'll be at the center of the room other times it might have a criss-cross configuration. Lens throw dictates that and lens throw is different for every projector on the market. Generally speaking for this sort of build you are looking for short throw projectors -- preferably 0.72:1 to 0.49.1 range. The BenQ W1080ST you mentioned falls within that range.

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 09:18 

bsselp wrote:
Good info! What kind of issues do you have with using two graphics cards in Crossfire with the Warpalizer or other blending software? I didn't realize that this could be a problem...

Why do you think this is a problem? :) We have 2 demo pc's here with two graphic cards each in Crossfire mode. Works like a charm.

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 09:10 
Insiders
Insiders

marius@warpalizer wrote:
bsselp wrote:

Why do you think this is a problem? :) We have 2 demo pc's here with two graphic cards each in Crossfire mode. Works like a charm.

I can also confirm, Nvidia SLI and AMD Eyefinity are no issue with pre-warping utilities. Over the last several years I've ran Crossfire and Tri-SLI on my projection rigs.