Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 09:39 

[quote]a 13x13 full circular projection using the two GT720 and the 3 EX525ST. I'll use the two GT720 to watch movies on and the three EX525ST to play regular games on and all five for FSX.

Can you post a diagram?

I would imagine it would be a bit like this:

Then imagine the other 3 projectors making up the 3/5 of the space remaining, play games facing one way, then turn the chair round to watch films!!

Also kind of like this, but with the projectors slightly further back to make the images bigger to fill the full 360.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 12:34 
Insiders
Insiders

The GT720's will be setup similar to the first pic. That second pic is purely random. The EX525ST's will cover the back arc of the first pic layout. It'll be scaled to 13x13 diameter circular screen. Neither of those pics truly represent the setup though. At the moment I'm leaning more towards just breaking it up into two separate computers to run it. That would make the GT720 setup a NVIDIA Surround setup and the EX525ST setup standard AMD Eyefinity 3x1L. They would be WidevieW connected for 360 degree FSX use and independent for everything else. It made little sense to do a single system setup that went over 180 degree FOV, when only FSX was useful for that congifuration. This way I'll have two fully functioning systems on the screen. Maybe do some head to head gaming in the room that way with both systems.

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 06:41 

is your build stalled? also isnt the standard now for projectors HD ? Seems like the bottom has fallen out for 1024x768 resolution projectors.

also wondering what can be done with a wall that is

6' x 11' x 6' that 6 deep 11 across then is there any hope for a full size wall setup in a space like this? i noticed your room is 13x13

how high is the image going to need to be to fit in that area? could this be done in portrait mode?

Thanks R

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 06:42 

is your build stalled? also isnt the standard now for projectors HD ? Seems like the bottom has fallen out for 1024x768 resolution projectors.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 13:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I went dual GT720 180 degree 13 foot wide by 6.5 foot deep screen for 2011. It's very similar to the screens I installed for Aviation Xtreme in Denver. The frames are the same, only variation in screen materials have occurred.

I'm in the process of experimenting with a few new ideas in 2012 at the moment. I'll be able to better elaborate once more progress is done. I'd treat most of the content in this thread as just batting ideas around before I went with my pop-up curved display frame prototypes that I implemented 5 installs on so far. I've done so many screens since this thread was started that the content of it no longer overly relevant to what I'm up to at the moment.

Last edited by BHawthorne on 18 Jun 2013, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 08:51 
Insiders
Insiders

Small update on the evolution of my Eyefinity 2x1 180 degree setup. I'm up and running. Here is a bit of Star Trek Online I played tonight. My current screen is 10 foot wide and 58" projection height. The screen frame is Home Depot PVC, plywood and plastic trim, Rose Brand Tendo screen and Joann 122" black fabric panels and curtains custom sewn. ;)

Attachment:
STO_06182013c.jpg
STO_06182013c.jpg [ 541.54 KiB | Viewed 3163 times ]

Attachment:
STO_06182013b.jpg
STO_06182013b.jpg [ 588.93 KiB | Viewed 3164 times ]

Attachment:
STO_06182013.jpg
STO_06182013.jpg [ 641.83 KiB | Viewed 3159 times ]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 09:38 

Screen looks amazing! You are lucky that you have a such big "playroom" :rockout:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 09:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Actually, it's sort of silly. My first three prototype screens were 13 foot wide. Then in 2011 I shifted to a popup frame that was 12 foot wide. Now I'm down to a 10 foot wide screen. My setups are shrinking. 8 prototype frames later. The screen is actually in a regular bedroom. I learned from past builds that it's a mistake to make a screen too big to fit in a standard room. :doh:

Now just to afford two BenQ W1080ST and I'll be happy. My Optoma GT720 are showing their age going on 3 years now. I've really gotten some mileage out of them. :D

Last edited by BHawthorne on 18 Jun 2013, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 10:38 

BHawthorne wrote:
Actually, it's sort of silly. My first three prototype screens were 13 foot wide. Then in 2011 I shifted to a popup frame that was 12 foot wide. Now I'm down to a 10 door wide screen. My setups are shrinking. 8 prototype frames later. The screen is actually in a regular bedroom. I learned from past builds that it's a mistake to make a screen too big to fit in a standard room. :doh:

Now just to afford two BenQ W1080ST and I'll be happy. My Optoma GT720 are showing their age going on 3 years now. I've really gotten some milage out of them. :D

Maybe bigger aint better after all :) Hehe. What is the optimal viewing position in the current setup? Wow, my girlfriend would kill me if I put a curved screen in my bedroom.
But we do have a QUMI Q5 in the drawer of the nightstand if we are to lazy to go downstairs, she thinks it's nicer than a tv hanging on the wall.

My "playroom" was first a guest room, now it's a office/"playroom". I tried telling the GF that we should put the bed in the guest room and I could use the bigger bedroom as a office/playroom, but that was not a popular suggestion.

The Optoma GT's are really good.. I used a GT750 on my previous screen setup. The BenQ W1080ST looks amazing, but the price atm in Norway really kills it :doh:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 10:51 
Insiders
Insiders

marius@warpalizer wrote:
What is the optimal viewing position in the current setup?

The Optoma GT's are really good.. I used a GT750 on my previous screen setup. The BenQ W1080ST looks amazing, but the price atm in Norway really kills it :doh:

I've always been of the mindset that the viewing location is dependant upon content. I find that I'm mostly gaming from 8 foot. If I watch tv I'll pull the chair back to 10-12 foot. On simulation games I line up at the 5 foot centerpoint.

Yep, I can get three GT720 factory refurbs for the cost of a single BenQ W1080ST, so it's really a tough decision. Heck, I could have 3x2 Eyefinity GT720 for the cost of the 2x1 W1080ST. At issue is the manufacturing engineer in me doesn't like the idea of adding in unnecessary complexity into the configuration. IMHO 2 > 6. In an ideal world some manufacturer would come up with a DisplayPort 1.2 3500 lumens UHD 0.61:1 short throw LED projector for $999. Get two of those and call it good. I can always dream I guess. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next