Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 09:09 

exact same problem freakin pointer no 2d c/pit
any help yet

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 09:33 

Thanks for helping guys. Chris, I thought it might be my ATI card since I'm hearing NVIDIA is better but if you have an NVIDIA I guess that's not the problem. What kind of monitors do you have?

I just updated my ATI driver as well as the Matrox driver and I have Acceleration (SP2) for FSX. Are you saying I should roll back to my older ATI driver and keep the new Matrox driver?
Regards,
Tom

TOM
same problems as you done the same thing with my old xp 32bit sys same
ati card still same with win7. have you been able to find any answers elsewhere
Regards
D4

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 00:34 

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this thread and so I figured I'd throw something out there.

I use a TH2G Digital, and the only 2D panels I've had a problem with were the forward view ones (SHIFT+1). All the other 2D panels have worked fine.

I've been able to fix the issue on the aircraft I fly regularly, but haven't tried it on all my aircraft since, if I don't typically fly them, then it's not worth fixing (for myself lol.) The reason is, there wasn't a single setting I could set through FSX, my graphics card drivers, nhancer, or any other global method to fix it. The thing I've done to fix my issue involves editing the panel.cfg for each aircraft I wanted to fix.

I've saved the steps I take to a text file, so I can easily 'remember' how to fix the issue again, in case of reinstalls, or new aircraft downloads.

These are the steps to take to fix the issue with the 2D main panel window not showing up on triple-wide resolutions, which causes extreme performance drops and the windows 'wait' cursor to remain active.

1) Open the Panel folder for the aircraft you wish to fix.

2) Make a backup copy of your panel.cfg file, in case anything goes wrong.

3) Open the Panel.cfg file in notepad.

4) Scroll down to the [window00] section. (This is *usually* the main panel window.)

5) Change the line:

window_size= 1.000, 0.874

to:

window_size= 0.333, 0.874

6) Comment out the following line:

window_pos= 0.000, 0.120

When commented out, the line should look like this:

// window_pos= 0.000, 0.120

7) Save the file.

Repeat steps 1-7 for each additional aircraft you wish to fix.

This has been tested by me on FSX SP2, running on Windows Vista 64 at 4320x900x32 (@60Hz) (3 @ 1440x900) using a Maxtrox TripleHead2Go Digital with the latest firmware, with an nVidia 9800GT 1GB video card running v182.50 WHQL drivers (haven't upgraded the drivers lately since everything has been working so well for me).

Good luck, and I hope this helps some of you guys out.

-George

EDIT: One more thing I wanted to mention, the 0.874 value is from Lionheart's Quest Kodiak panel, and may be different on every aircraft. Basically, just leave the second value in that line at whatever value it's at by default. The only number that needs changing is the first one (1.000).

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 02:15 
Administrators
Administrators

Wow, anyone else tried this yet? If it work, you'll be a saviour to many.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 03:49 

cant find window_size in my whole panel.cfg.
searched in Standard 737-800

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 03:58 

Hi again,

I probably should've pointed out that the window_size=x.xxx, x.xxx value does not exist in all aircraft panels. If it doesn't exist, you can add the value as

window_size=0.333, 1.000

That will force the horizontal scale to be 1/3 its scaled width while allowing it to maintain its normal height. You do not need to adjust the size_mm= value.

Also, the window_pos=x.xxx, x.xxx may not exist. If it does exist, you don't have to comment it out. You can change the values to change the default position of where the panel window opens, or if you do comment it out (AND the line position=X doesn't exist), then the panel window will default to the center screen.

Other panel windows can be modified the same way. The only issue I've encountered with this 'fix' is that on some (but not all) of the default aircraft, it does 'squeeze' the main VC window upwards when the main panel is displayed. Aircraft like the default Beech Baron display this 'squeezing' behavior, while others like the Aircreation ultralight (the hang-glider with the mower on the back lol) do not display this behavior. In any case, I don't see why the VC window couldn't just be stretched (resized by dragging) down once you've got the panel window displayed, but I honestly haven't tried that, as I only use the 2D panel windows for quick pop-up references to check gauges that are a bit small to read in the vc. Once you close the panel, the vc window does go back to normal size anyway.

Edited to add: Also, none of the 3rd party, FSX-native aircraft I've done this with have shown the VC being squeezed upwards when the main panel is displayed. (Aerosoft Twin Otter, Lionheart's Quest Kodiak for payware, and a number of freeware stuff as well.)

Good luck, and hope this info is helpful to at least a few of you folks having problems. :)

-George

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 04:08 

IT WORKS.

You are the best, now i can fly FSX again.

thank you

cu
chriz

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 05:03 
Administrators
Administrators

IT WORKS.

You are the best, now i can fly FSX again.

thank you

cu
chriz

:o :shock: :D

Hooray for people who know stuff and take the time to help others!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 06:04 

IT WORKS.

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked for you. I just wish there was an easier way than having to hand edit each panel.cfg file, but it's worth it to get the panels working again. I'd also recommend backing up any panel.cfg files that you fix to a disk or network location, so you have them available should the need to reinstall ever come up. :)

-George

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 06:13 

Hey guys,
Thanks for the information and editing idea for the 2D panel. I have learned a little more about my problem after experimenting. It seems it all reflects on having my view set to FullScreen and having all the windows docked. Originally I thought the problem was only with the main forward cockpit 2Dpanel. Then I tried just using the 3D VC and found that the flashing cursor also locked up the sim when I opened some of the 2D subpanels such as a throttle quadrant, fmc, radio stack, etc. It was suggested that I try setting up each aircraft with its own undocked window setup.

First, I disabled fullscreen, then undocked each of the 2D subpanels. This made it possible to move the panels around the 3 monitors. I was also able to stretch the VC view across the 3 monitors and then open the 2D panels on top of the 3D VC view. I arranged and positioned them, then saved the flight. When I reopen the flight, the 3D view has to be restretched across the 3 monitors, but all the 2D panels reopen in the same spots that I saved them. The only problem is there is a slight border at the top of the monitors.

I am curious as to what others get with the FullScreen active. In other words, is it because Full Screen and the docked windows is forcing the 2D windows to be stretched when in reality they can't be without distorting them? Is this only an issue with the ATI card? I've read several posts suggesting that NVIDIA is far better for FSX than ATI. I'd like to know what others are experiencing and whether this is a problem with all FSX TH2Go users or only some of them. Thanks again. Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next