Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 20:42 

Haldi wrote:
That's not how VSR works.
VSR does the Up and downscaling on the GPU and only sends a 1920x1080 pixel signal to the Monitor.

VSR off, I get only 1080.
VSR on, I get 1440.

I guess the monitor supports above what is claimed then.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 12:03 
Administrators
Administrators

coroner_ wrote:
Haldi wrote:
That's not how VSR works.
VSR does the Up and downscaling on the GPU and only sends a 1920x1080 pixel signal to the Monitor.

VSR off, I get only 1080.
VSR on, I get 1440.

I guess the monitor supports above what is claimed then.

Sadly not, the VSR tech, Virtual Super Resolution, means that the GPU presents to the game/OS a virtual display surface of 1440p, to which a game is then rendered at, this is then downscaled on the GPU using image compression and antialising techniques to 1080p when outputting to the monitors, in-fact if your monitors have a menu that can show the video signal input information, then you see that it is receiving only a 1080p source, not 1440p.

ITSANSS, I would be interested to know if you had luck with swapping out your HDMI connection for the Displayport to dual link DVI?
:)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 04:44 

Delphium sir you are correct, the monitor itself still reports 1080, I have misunderstood :?

Why then could I not get this 1440 option with eyefinity if I changed my configuration to include a HDMI cable replacing a DVI?
Shouldn't that give me better bandwidth... it was not as good with res options so I switched back.
This HDMI cable is claiming to support 4k.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 22:42 

Delphium wrote:
ITSANSS wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I'm using the exact same cables as before. I never even unplugged them from the GPU. Even using the same power cords. Really was hoping for plug and play.

I'm using two DVI-D dual link cables for my left and middle monitor, and an HDMI for the third, right monitor. I've been using it this way, in Eyefinity, since I've had the R9 290X, which has been for at least a year now. When I had the HD 5870, I ran an active Display Port to DVI-D dual link adapter. But when I upgraded GPU, I no longer required the active DP adapter because the card (5870) went from analog to digital (290X) based on what I read online. Everything worked perfectly for a year or so until one of my monitors died. Now I've got these "fancy" 144hz monitors and I'm having problems. lol

So, based on the good cables I'm using and that nothing has changed except the monitors and that the old monitors worked with my current setup, what's next to look into? My next thought was uninstalling CCC and reinstalling....

I'm really at a loss! :(

May I ask, have you tried swapping out the HDMI connection for the displayport to dvi dual link active adaptor you have?

I suspect that in order for the DVI+DVI+HDMI combo to work, the TMDS clock signal used for VGA/DVI/HDMI video signals (of which there is often 2 chips installed in a GPU, with each chip providing 2 clock signals) was split so that a single TMDS chip can provide DVI-single-link to 2x outputs, or a single TMDS chip to drive 1x DVI-dual-link as dual-link requires 2 clocks.

This is similar to how the Sapphire Flex Edition cards work, but splitting the TMDS signal outputs, this however only works for monitors below 1920x1200@60Hz.

Try swapping out your HDMI connection for the Displayport to dual link DVI and I suspect this will work.

Sorry I'm just getting back to ya'll. Bought a boat so I've been preoccupied. Haha

Well, damn, turns out that my Dell BizLink adapter is one of the things I gave to my sister to sell on eBay. It's gone. I'm still not quite following why I need it. When I went from the 5870 to the 290X, I no longer needed it and have been using two DVI-D cables and an HDMI for well over a year at 5760x1080 with no problems until one of my monitors died.

However, it would serve me right to have bought that adapter for $100 and sold it for $20 only to have to buy another one for $100. lmao

I still don't know why I can't even at least put these two DVI-D monitors in a group. I should be able to at least make a 2x1, right? That's what I was doing for months after my monitor died. I really feel that it's a software issue.....

Grrr :?

**************Update********************

Reinstalled CCC. I now have a 2x1 Eyefnity group. Third HDMI monitor still shows "no signal", but CCC sees that it's there. Still apparently unable to make it get signal to bring it out of sleep mode.

It's a step in the right direction, I think.....

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 01:55 

If you unplug all the monitors from your GPU and plug only the one in question with an HDMI cable does it come on? If not try that on a different monitor to see if that works. If that doesn't work see if you have a different HDMI cable and check that.

Was the monitor that went out before using the HDMI port? It might also be that the HDMI port on your GPU went out. In many cases even a bad HDMI controller can still report a display to the OS. From everything I've read the HDMI is obviously the problem regardless of if it is a software or hardware issue.

The reason I'm thinking that is, even if AMD's driver required a DP connection to make a 3x1 group (which hasn't been the case for a few generations) it would still send the signal to the HDMI display to be used as 2+1. When HDMI first started appearing (on computer monitors) there were some issues with certain display scalers reconciling the HDMI signal correctly; and also with some display controllers sending correct signals when a different standard was present. Those were addressed some time ago however and aren't present in most if any newer displays or sources that use the standard. Since HDMI can read a DVI signal without the need for conversion, the controller will usually send it as such. This allows the parts of the controller to drop some complexity yet handle both much easier, and let a different part handle the other protocols, including audio if it is needed. It is actually far more complicated than that, but I think that will do for what I'm trying to get at. Which again is, something is wrong with the HDMI connection itself. Whether it is the Monitor, GPU, or cable I cannot say.

On another note You can still find a powered active DP adapter for around $80 (US) or so, perhaps even less, but that shouldn't be necessary. You can find a non-powered active display port adapter for around $15-$20 (US) on Amazon or Newegg. Those should work just fine. The ones they have been making for the last few years works exceptionally well. Vision-Tek makes some, as well as Sapphire. I've had a couple of each of those that worked without any issues. A powered one should only be necessary under a few specific circumstances; like if you had to send the signal several meters away for example.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 04:32 

Peer_Review wrote:
If you unplug all the monitors from your GPU and plug only the one in question with an HDMI cable does it come on? If not try that on a different monitor to see if that works. If that doesn't work see if you have a different HDMI cable and check that.

Was the monitor that went out before using the HDMI port? It might also be that the HDMI port on your GPU went out. In many cases even a bad HDMI controller can still report a display to the OS. From everything I've read the HDMI is obviously the problem regardless of if it is a software or hardware issue.

The reason I'm thinking that is, even if AMD's driver required a DP connection to make a 3x1 group (which hasn't been the case for a few generations) it would still send the signal to the HDMI display to be used as 2+1. When HDMI first started appearing (on computer monitors) there were some issues with certain display scalers reconciling the HDMI signal correctly; and also with some display controllers sending correct signals when a different standard was present. Those were addressed some time ago however and aren't present in most if any newer displays or sources that use the standard. Since HDMI can read a DVI signal without the need for conversion, the controller will usually send it as such. This allows the parts of the controller to drop some complexity yet handle both much easier, and let a different part handle the other protocols, including audio if it is needed. It is actually far more complicated than that, but I think that will do for what I'm trying to get at. Which again is, something is wrong with the HDMI connection itself. Whether it is the Monitor, GPU, or cable I cannot say.

On another note You can still find a powered active DP adapter for around $80 (US) or so, perhaps even less, but that shouldn't be necessary. You can find a non-powered active display port adapter for around $15-$20 (US) on Amazon or Newegg. Those should work just fine. The ones they have been making for the last few years works exceptionally well. Vision-Tek makes some, as well as Sapphire. I've had a couple of each of those that worked without any issues. A powered one should only be necessary under a few specific circumstances; like if you had to send the signal several meters away for example.

Well, I'm thinking it's the GPU now. I tried a different cable - no change. Tried different monitor - no change. I think the HDMI port is not sending signal. It knows something is plugged in, but it's not sending anything out.

Just to make sure before I order - Can I get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to plug into the GPU, run HDMI cable from adapter to monitor to make it work? Or is it better to have an actual cable that goes from DisplayPort to HDMI?

This?
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gol ... B004C9P9TM

or

This?
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Disp ... B001S2PYQY

Thanks!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 03:34 

Peer_Review wrote:

Oops. Forgot to answer this part. No, it was a DVI monitor that had gone out. Which is working now with the new monitor.

NOBODY in town has a DP to DVI-D or a DP to HDMI adapter. I'll be ordering one online looks like.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 16:09 

Got my DisplayPort to HDMI adapter in the mail yesterday and just gave it a try this morning. Monitor is still showing "VGA No Signal" when turned on. Is my GPU crapping out or what?! :(