Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 17:51 
Insiders
Insiders

So I'm confused, does the 380x support plp?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 05:42 
Insiders
Insiders

No-one has specifically tested R9 380X yet, but logically it will work Eyefinity PLP.

Reasoning:
R9 380X is GCN 1.2, which works in Eyefinity PLP. Also R9 380X is based on R9 380 (which works in PLP). Their codenames are bit different, but doesn't matter (both Tonga, but XT vs PRO).

This is where I saw GCN1.2 stated for R9 380X (the main proof):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_300_series

So have now added R9 380X to list on first page of thread. A beefed up R9 380 is tempting, liking this card. Here are a couple reviews for it:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9784/the-amd-radeon-r9-380x-review
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3005951/components-graphics/amd-radeon-r9-380x-review-the-best-graphics-card-for-1080p-gaming-priced-to-fight.html

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 02:39 

thanks for the confirmation on crossfire.
been dying to upgrade to 30" center monitor eyefinity crossfire.

before i go and 1) spend $1.4k on a dell u3014 + 2 dell 2007fp and 2) $2.6k on quad-fire furyx
and
before i go and 3) sell 1080p surround and 4) sell quad-fire 290x.

this question is regarding the two side portrait monitors (dell 2007fp) regarding the refresh scan (you know the vertical 60hz).
once the side monitors are rotated portrait. and windows is also set to portrait. and now everything looks correct.

for the 2 side monitors
does 1) the refresh scan follow windows and switch accordingly maintaining the normal "up to down."
or
does 2) the refresh scan stay with the monitor (now physically rotated) and continuing to refresh scan "left to right".

hopefully it is #1 above (since no one has mention any issues). just want to make absolutely sure before blowing $4k.

can someone confirm this for me. thanks.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 04:23 
Insiders
Insiders

I will watch for blemish direction as I game, I honestly can't remember. But pretty sure refresh-direction remains stock, it is tied to monitor. Hopefully someone else can confirm this. I have not yet noticed any tearing in current game of interest: TM2 (arcade racing).

So if side monitor is in portrait, I think any line-type picture-blemishes would be vertical & not horizontal. This is not a bad thing imo, seems to me any vertical blemishes on the sides would mesh better into the whole 3D view. Also there are ways to reduce these blemishes. For example the monitor-connection type being used (VGA the worst). FreeSync technology is also available to fix these types of blemishes.

EDIT - Tested
Current game on 3520x1080 manual PLP, using these monitor connections:
- DVI sides: no tearing, no anomalies, perfect clean sides.
- VGA sides: monitor 3 (one side) has shifting vertical anomalies (not tearing, instead multiple moving lines of discoloration). The other side looks perfect.
Those VGA anomalies prove refresh direction remains stock.

Also seems to me you'd get excellent FPS with only 2 Fury X cards on your resolution (7,936,000 px).

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2015, 18:33 

Hello!

positive: I can confirm the 380x works!

negative: I have terrible tearing everywhere. I am currently using 2 x Dell 2007 and a 245B in the middle (should be switched to a 30"). If I play in window-mode with extended desktop everything is fine but as soon as i activate the group everything is fuuuuu up.

- mouse dissapears in games
- bad tearing in games (mostly L&R but sometimes on the middle screen - mostly moving slowly downwards, sometimes upwards or stable position)
- tearing in 2D - moving a window across the desktop and it just tears appart
- switching the group on/off mostly kills PC, doesn't boot afterwards

All in all it is completely unusable. Internet says "use only DP monitors, cables and ports" -> impossible. Can anybody help me?

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2015, 23:06 
Insiders
Insiders

MÆGGES,

I have some ideas.

1. [REMOVED, IRRELEVANT, re pixel line-up]

2. Your stock PLP resolution (ie if not dropped res on sides) is high for R9 380X. Card may be struggling to keep up (but I doubt this is the source of your tearing).
3. Tests:
A. Try spreading a game manually, using SoftTH fullscreen & Eyefinity Off. Still tearing?
i. This would prove whether or not Eyefinity is at fault for tearing.
ii. To find a suitable game & spread instructions, visit PLP Gaming wiki & go to Manual PLP Games List. You want a game that says "Fullscreen" in pink, at its top.
B. Back to Eyefinity (not SoftTH). Try VGA on the sides, if you can. See if it's better, VGA is pretty forgiving connection.
C. Drop ALL monitors' resolution below stock to get your gaming pixel-count low. Does it still tear?
4. What monitor connections do you use, & what adapters? How long are your cords?
5. Consider FreeSync, would likely fix (e.g monitors supported: http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/284 )

I don't have Eyefinity PLP yet, have not tested it. But I know other people are happy, so you can likely fix tearing somehow... I'm pretty sure it's not the R9 380X itself, but something in-between the 380X & your outputted game. Sounds like connecters & cords.

As for disappearing mouse, this does seem to be an ongoing issue in some games. Some people complain about it, other people don't seem to have the issue (or are playing different games).

Once you get your PLP setup working without tearing. For games that have other issues (e.g. no mouse, breaking game), consider using Manual PLP methods.

Last edited by imusrt on 25 Dec 2015, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 21:46 

1. I don't really understand what you expect me to do ;) Maybe because I am not native english-speaking... But the side monitors are 2007fp not wfp so they are 1600x1200 - don't know if that is important.

2. That may be right but I also used 3 x 1280 x 1024 on a HD5770 years ago (which worked) and that card is 10 times slower. So - as you said - i don't think this is the problem. Also the problem is at the desktop where speed shouldn't matter.

3. A. I tested this and played Minecraft windowed over all 3 screens -> works perfect. Eyefinity on -> Tearing.
B. Not tested yet
C. Not tested yet

4. Dells direct DVI, Samsung Active DP to single link DVI

5. I don't want to buy new displays :)

So, i thought: Okay, it is because of the active adaptor and wanted to order a passive one. Because i was annoyed I installed my GTX560Ti. For watching movies I cloned the Samung (native DVI) with my beamer (Optoma HD300X, native HDMI) and you wont believe it -> same tearing. Then i thougt that it was because of different port types HDMI & DVI but a Dell cloned with the Optoma works perfect.

So my actual thought is that the Samsung is the problem. So the next thing i will do is try the Dells with the Optoma in PLP to see if the Samsung is wrong.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2015, 01:15 
Insiders
Insiders

very strange, glad you are making some headway.

As for suggestion #1 & the green layout image, sorry I thought you had different sides.

We are in agreement it seems to be your connections. And it is very likely your center screen's connection (DP to DVI active adapter), not your sides. Would recommend trying next: HDMI to DVI for center monitor. I would try the cheapest adapter you can find first, see what happens. (Not researched proper, but it seems logical next step)

There is another test that could prove interesting: try mixed resolution LLL in Eyefinity. Does it tear too? (would likely prove that PLP orientation has nothing to do with the problem).

[GUTTED, IRRELEVANT pixel line-up]

You have:
Center Samsung SyncMaster 245B (24" 1920x1200, 6:10). Sides: Dell 2007fp 20.1" 1600x1200 (4:3) sides (20.1" when actually measured).

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 17:53 

I can testify that R9 Nano works perfectly from my initial tests (Running 20-30-20 PLP setup 4960x1600). On driver 16.1.1 :-)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016, 19:47 

I have tested and can confirm that PLP works on the AMD Pro Duo

and BTW, this card is fricking insane!!

The pic above is BF4 with every setting set to absolute highest "ultra" available, and its pushing over 100FPS at 5208x1600 resolution

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next