Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 16:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:50 

Hi,

I have a custom openGl based 3D application/game that I want to run on some screen setups "video walls" using eyefinity.
The video walls range from 2*2 to 2*3 to 3*3 (perhaps even 3*4 later)

I've done my research (information is very outdated on the internet) and yes I've read Cards that Support Eyefinity 6 and other topics multiple times but I still have some blanks / questions.

Would you be so kind to confirm/comment on these statements and questions with your appreciated expertise ? :-)

- 1 Displayport can send out maximum 4 streams (MST) - the max. resolution / stream is limited by the DP bandwidth ?
    - 1 Displayport to MST hub (CSV-5400) could drive 3 4K screens (30Hz or 60 Hz)
    - 1 Radeon GPU (R9 haiti) can drive up till 4 screens (full HD 60 Hz) in SLS with one displayport and one MST hub
    - 1 Radeon GPU (R9 haiti) can drive up till 6 screens (full HD 60 Hz) in SLS (need minimum 2 displayports)
    - 2 Radeon GPU (R9 Haiti in SLI or X2 config) can drive up till 12 screens in SLS (need minimum 2 times 2 displayports)
    - A R9 295x2 8Gb Hydra edition (4 * miniDP) should be able to run a 3*3 (9 full HD screens) in 60Hz using 3 MST hubs
    - A R9 295x2 8Gb Hydra edition (4 * miniDP) should be able to run a 4*3 (12 full HD screens) in 60Hz using 3 MST hubs
    - A R9 270X (1 displayport) could drive 3 "1920*3240" (30Hz-60Hz) screens using 1 MST hub (I have stack of 3 screens that can identify as "1920-3240")

It would really help me, as testing all these options in the blank would cost me a fortune (which I don't have :-()

I also find it difficult to find e.g. a R9 290 with 4 Gig of ram and more then one Displayport (can't find any). It also looks that there are no (decent priced) 4 dp, 6 dp or 12dp cards anymore like you had in the radeon HD 7XXX time. (the powercolor12 - club3d eyefinity 6 - ...) How come that it's easier to find old cards or lower spec cards (285x has some with 2 dps) with multiple DPs then it is for the new generation ? Just offer-demand ? Or is there a technical reason ?

I remember the press presentation of AMD running 24 screens on 1 PC and I was in the assumption that the multi-monitor gaming was starting a new era .. but it looks like it didn't take off very well ?

Thanks already for your time & experise

Michael

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 17:07 

Fyi;

We did a setup on a 3*3 screen (landscape) this summer on a single AMD R9 290.
We connected 1 DP >> 1 DP hub >> 3DP Ports.

They where organised as 3 stacks of 3 screens. (3 columns). The screen allowed displayport chaining, so I only had to enter with 1 displayport for each stack (identified as 3240*1920).
I was not able to run the eyefiniy as 1 desktop, the driver was giving strange results (probably because of the strange resolution); but 3 dektops of 3240*1920 worked fine.

Our app was running on a native 5760*3240 (30Hz) resolution :-D !

My question now is:
- Would this also have been possible using 4 MST hubs, connecting each screen separately? (with eyefinity of with multiple desktop)
- Or do you reach the hard limit of 6 screens then ? (then its a driver issue, not a bandwidth issue)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 23:22 
Editors
Editors

i think you would need an AMD Firepro GPU to run more screens in Eyefinity, they have support for multiple setups in their driver which normal "gamer" GPU's doesn't have.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 01:50 
Insiders
Insiders

You might be able to get around the display limit with an adapter like the Matrox TripleHead2Go (each adapter is a single display). The 24-display example you linked to used multiple GPUs.