Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:45 
Insiders
Insiders

The one R9 285 graphics card I have tested for Eyefinity PLP support has failed. Details, sent to Club 3D support:

The Club 3D R9 285 Royal Queen (royalQueen) graphics card states that it supports Eyefinity in mixed orientation. That is the only reason I bought it. (I use 3 screens for gaming, in portrait-landscape-portrait layout.) However, upon testing it, this card does NOT support mixed orientation Eyefinity. CCC forces me into landscape on all screens.

I am writing in the hope of having the flaw corrected in a future card release, & also to inform prospective buyers. The card cannot currently be used for PLP (portrait landscape portrait).

1. Text here states that it is supposed to support mixed orientation Eyefinity:
http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/r ... queen.html
“The Club 3D AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Graphics card is loaded with the latest from Graphics Core Next Architecture, including mixed screen resolution and orientation for AMD Eyefinity Technology...”

(and AMD says it in their Full List of Features: "Rotated Eyefinity Support for Radeon™ R9 285... Enables a mix of portrait and landscape oriented displays")

2. Software: I did driver uninstall/install correctly (new CCC Omega driver of Dec 8 2014). I also used CCC correctly. Mixed orientation was NOT an existing option for Eyefinity (I cannot turn the screens as advertised). Screens are all forced into landscape, when I require 2 to be in portrait.

3. Hardware: I have common current gaming hardware, it is not my fault. The card does not support its claims.

I am very unhappy. To be told it offers what I need, when it doesn't. It is false advertising, there is no Eyefinity PLP support. I am contacting both Club 3D & AMD about this, & posting this on both WSGF & Club 3D forum. It may be that all R9 285 cards do not support their mixed orientation claims. The problem needs to be addressed, PLP needs to be supported.

If anyone has insight in this matter, please respond.

Last edited by imusrt on 26 Mar 2015, 06:55, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 00:19 
Editors
Editors

i wonder what the support answers to this question.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 03:30 
Founder
Founder

I have contacts with both AMD and Club 3D. Let me reach out to them. What monitors are you using?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 21:38 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks Skip, that would be awesome. My exact layout is here (pixels line up for manual PLP):
http://plp-gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Li ... ightweight

I have tested the graphics card with HDMI center & DVI sides. Also tested on VGA sides. Tested starting with stock resolutions (in both LLL & PPP), & also tested starting with correct PLP layout (via Windows 8.1 x64 interface, rotated sides with non-stock side resolution). Tested rotation on both 2 & 3 monitors. Nothing works for Eyefinity PLP. I am forced to LLL or PPP.

Have tested using Samsung, Dell, Acer, etc. My test monitors are all common and Eyefinity rotation never exists. So exact models should not matter, card appears completely without support. I have NOT tested Displayport, as I don't have it. Will pm my 3 preferred models shortly.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 21:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Paul responded at Club 3D forum with valuable insight & I am pleased with their support. It appears to in no way be Club 3D's fault, meaning there is no R9 285 card which currently supports Eyefinity mixed rotation. Paul thinks it is AMD's driver at fault. He expects that at some point the driver will be corrected. In the meantime, all R9 285 cards are broken. I personally have no faith left in this card & am unwilling to wait for its potential future correction. But PLP is now certain to be supported through Eyefinity sometime in the near future, on some card with some driver. It has been publicly promised by AMD.

I am happy Club 3D took it seriously & is checking into it. They have good support. But it is ridiculous that AMD would make claims before the technology is actually in place. No support from Omega driver. AMD is a great company, but their optimistic marketing practice is in question.

Paul's main response:
"We have tested here internally the support for PLP and indeed the latest OMEGA driver is not providing support for this setup. ...We are currently in contact with our engineers and also with AMD to verify these results."

Paul's reason:
"...hardware and software developments are not always in sync when a product is introduced in the market, the Rotated Eyefinity support was announced recently by the AMD team with the introduction of the OMEGA driver and we have little influence on what AMD features will implement."

I will post here any further useful responses from all complaint locations.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 23:02 

Definitely following this!

*subbed*

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 21:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Club 3D has "proceeded tor remove all information in our website for the Rotated Eyefinity support" (because AMD has not responded to them)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 01:02 

imusrt wrote:
Club 3D has "proceeded tor remove all information in our website for the Rotated Eyefinity support" (because AMD has not responded to them)

Any updates on this?

Being able to run PLP is a big enough deal to me, that I would run out and buy a high end video card same day.

Really hoping AMD will comment.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 06:30 
Insiders
Insiders

AMD has been completely silent & Club 3D has said nothing more for 3 weeks now. So likely won't get more answers, have to wait for development to catch up with AMD's marketing. Hopefully mixed rotation will work by the time R9 300 series comes out. Will be a stronger, better card for PLP. One R9 285 works alright in manual PLP on lightweight resolution. But card is a bit flimsy & will have short lifespan.

BTW just discovered that Dead Space 2 & 3 spread in manual PLP :)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 10:04 

imusrt, I am in the same boat. Apparently, the Club 3D MST Hub is failing miserably at what it claims to do.

Im supposed to be able to run three monitors off one hub. In theory, it works wonderfully. Upon initial hook up, all my displays are detected and I can set my eyefinity and display arrangement. But after this, thats all it does so far. Everytime my monitors go to sleep, the hub stops detecting the monitors and throws my configuration out of whack. After talking to support which is lacking to say the least on thier forum, I used their scan button as they suggested. This caused multiple crashes in my display drivers and a couple BSODs, which were the first ones Ive had since I put this current rig together. Apparently its a firmware issue and Ive sent it back to them as of today, so now its a waiting game to see when I recieve the newly updated hub. Hopefully this fixes the issues.