Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 01:45 

Hi there,

I have two MSI R9 290 4GB cards with 1 x mDP, 1 x HDMI and 2 x DVI ports. I also have six Dell U2414H monitors with the built in displayport MST 1.2 hubs. My original plan was to run two separate 3 x 1 Eyefinity groups, one for gaming and one for web browsing, music control, etc. The cable configuration was going to be mDP port to first monitor in chain which then chained to second monitor and so forth. This works perfectly for a single 3 x 1 configuration but as soon as I plug in the second chain to the second card, everything mixes up and the third screen in the first chain shuts down and the first monitor on the second chain activates. I've tried this configuration both with and without crossfire activated.

I was originally hoping to run with the two 3 x 1 configs and then maybe for special games try a 3 x 2 setup but I have no idea how I'm going to pull that off if I can't even do two 3 x 1 configs.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this configuration? Do I have to resort to using the DVI and HDMI ports to get all 6 up?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 13:07 
Editors
Editors

Hi, that certainly is no ordinary problem you have here ^^

Did you try this just in Eyefinity mode or also in extended?
And what happens when you plug just a 4th monitor and not a full chain?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 17:24 

Wow that Avatar is stretched way out.

I managed to coax it to work at one point by adding monitor 4, 5 and 6 to the chain one at a time and even got the two 3 x 1 eyefinity groups configured after my post but accidentally hit the power button on my second screen in chain 1 and that pretty much destroyed everything.

Is eyefinity really that delicate? If I can't just turn my machine on and have it work, I'm going to have to rethink this.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 20:13 
Editors
Editors

Eyefinity itself is not that delicate, this seems to be more of a problem with two MST hubs as this is a brand new technology.
P.s I'm using tap stalk right now, can you make a screenshot of the bugged avatar?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 20:47 

Here is the stretched Avatar. I'll do some more tinkering with my setup tonight when I get home from work.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2014, 14:17 

hi, sorry to hijack, but is it posible to setup this (two 3x1 eyefinity groups) on a single 7870? would it work with a hub adapter?

Cheers