Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 20:32 

Hi Guys,

after a long time of just reading the news and forum here i just registered to ask if anyone here might have an idea on how to solve my following problem.
i already tried a quick search of the forum and the internet but i could not find a solution.
English is not my native language so please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes.

My Setup

My card is an Asus EAH5870 (so its a Radeon HD5870) which is connected to three monitors and my TV.
Two of the monitors are connected via DVI and the center one is connected via DP.
The TV is connected via 7.5m HDMI cable to the HDMI-Port.
I used to just switch the outputs in the catalyst control center if I wanted to watch a movie or play on the bigger screen.

The Problem
My Computer does not detect the TV anymore. I can't find the reason for this.

I was still on Catalyst 11.2( I'm about this)
so I upgraded the drivers to Catalyst Version 12.1 first and then 12.3 to see if this might fix my problems but it didn't.
I also tried to detect the TV with the same cable using my Laptop and it worked. So i think that rules out cable or TV hardware defects.
Unfortunately I don't have another device which accepts HDMI Input to test if the 5870's HDMI-Port is damaged.

So now I'm asking whether anyone here can maybe come up with an idea how i could inspect my problem any further.
I would be really grateful for any suggestions.

-meph

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 20:54 
Administrators
Administrators

Hi, unfortunately you may only use 2 of the DVI+HDMI outputs at any time, as you are already using both DVI connections the HDMI port gets disabled, you would need to connect the TV, or another monitor to another DisplayPort output using a DP > HDMI/DVI/VGA adaptor.

EDIT:According to this..
It would appear there is no 2nd DisplayPort output. :(

I think in this case you would need to invest in another gfx card, even if its a really low powered one just for the TV.

Source

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

Post subject: Hi,Thanks for your quick
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:09 

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am aware that I can not use them simultaneously. This is not what I'm trying to do here.
It worked before. I just can't find out what has changed this.
I just had all the displays connected like I listed in the first post and disabled one of the DVI-ports and enabled the HDMI when needed.
But even with both of the DVI-Displays Windows was still able to detect that another output device was connected it just couldn't be enabled without disabling another display before.

The problem is that the detection has stopped working, the TV simply doesn't show up anymore.
(I also tried disconnecting the DVI-Displays to check for if they where the problem, but the TV is still not detected)