Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 18:07 
Editors
Editors

Uh what? I knew that 12.2/3 have problems with downclocking to idle clock. But i didn't expect them to clock down to far xD
If they do! You checked Idle Clock with tools like Afterburner/GPU-Z or in CCC Overdeive menue? Before and after driver update? If i were you. uninstall driver and reinstall old ones!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 04:49 

This thread just solved a lot of anger. I got a Radeon 7850 for a friends build. I tried it in my system first because I was curious (I have a 6950 flashed to 6970 - at stock the 7850 is slower). Anyways, within minutes of installing the board and 12.3, I was getting screen flickering, driver crashes, and full hard crashes while in Windows. I was not impressed. But once I got into a game or ran Furmark, everything was rock-solid. Amazing temps and really nice performance. I was a bit baffled. I've never run into a problem like this. I tried 12.4 that dropped today with no luck. I was just about to RMA when I found a link to this thread on the Sapphire forums (it's the Sapphire 7850 OC version btw). It took me some fiddling but I eventually had to set memory to idle at 1250 (stock). I'm sure I could get it way lower but 250 was not enough so just to try to get it stable, I cranked it up to what it'd be at when playing a game. I couldn't get the screen to flicker or driver crash or anything. Normally I could just take my browser window and shake it all over for a minute or two and I'd get a hard crash. I did it until I got bored with no issues.

I'm not really sure what the actual problem was. Maybe switching from 150mhz to 1250mhz on the memory was causing a problem.

I checked the profiles.xml on my 6970, and I guess due to eyefinity (3x22" monitors), it idles much higher. 500/1375.

Hopefully the problem is completely solved with this 7850. My friend is itching to get his new system and I'm anxious to see how far I can OC the the 7850. 1050 (in CCC) is no problem at all.

So thanks again for this thread. Really helped me out!

Post subject: Hi,I've got this screen
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2012, 19:36 

Hi,

I've got this screen flickering thing with my new MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III, it's just like a bit of screen tearing. It happens only while scrolling web pages and it's not always noticeable but when I set the clocks to 700 clock/800 memory the problem doesn't go away... Well, even if it did I'd be pissed anyway because setting the idle clocks to 700/800 has increased my idle temp from 37-40 C to 52 C which is ridiculous! It's really annoying because I shelled out for the card hoping that it would work perfectly well out of the box... Do you think that the card may be flawed? I didn't have any issues when playing games except when I overclocked it to 1 ghz which, as I thought, would be a doodle for this card but it responded with artifacting and messing up my audio after some time... I'm quite disappointed. I'd appreciate any suggestions from you guys.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 10:17 

Hi,

I've got this screen flickering thing with my new MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III, it's just like a bit of screen tearing. It happens only while scrolling web pages and it's not always noticeable but when I set the clocks to 700 clock/800 memory the problem doesn't go away... Well, even if it did I'd be pissed anyway because setting the idle clocks to 700/800 has increased my idle temp from 37-40 C to 52 C which is ridiculous! It's really annoying because I shelled out for the card hoping that it would work perfectly well out of the box... Do you think that the card may be flawed? I didn't have any issues when playing games except when I overclocked it to 1 ghz which, as I thought, would be a doodle for this card but it responded with artifacting and messing up my audio after some time... I'm quite disappointed. I'd appreciate any suggestions from you guys.

I've got this exact same damn problem.

no idea what to do either, I'm OKAY with electronics and stuff but for the life of me I cant figure out how to fix this. its driving me crazy.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 19:09 
Editors
Editors

. It happens only while scrolling web pages and it's not always noticeable but when I set the clocks to 700 clock/800 memory the problem doesn't go away... Well.

Oh... its 10 June... but that might fit... Why didn't you mention the Browser You're using? Firefox ? Which version ?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 23:04 

happens in all browsers ive tried

not specific to any one in particular... happens else where too, a bit? not as much

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 09:47 

Ok this is a very VERY big question that I really need questions too. REcently i bought a AMD 7850 2GB Saphhire OC gpu from my local pc hardware store, "Pc Case Gear", in Australia. And I built the whole pc and it worked. Now I am a streamer on twitch tv, and i bought a second monitor just to stream with the dual screens set up . The GPU worked fine with just the 1 screen and i was really happy to see the outcome of the performace. But when I bought a Second monitor and plugged it in i found that the screen that was NOT set as the "main screen", started to flicker, now the flickering setteled down for about hlaf an hour, "after many many options changed", and then it started again and didnt STOP! I have rebooted amany times and it doesnt seem to work ... and seems to be getting worse and worse!
This is how my gpu and the screens are working.

Dvi "on gpu" going to Dvi port "on monitor"
Hdmi adapter to dvi "on gpu" going to dvi on monitor.

One monitor is 21" and the other is 19"

I have tried many fourms and really just cant find a answer to why the card is doing this, please PLEASE help! "My streamers need me"

Please if you guys have any idea on why this is not working please

PLEASE HELP!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 11:55 
Administrators
Administrators

kingpanday have you attempted to adjust the clocks/powers as indicated in this thread, it should help to resolve that issue?

When addtional outputs to montors are connected the card has more work to do, however rare seems to increase the idle clocks enough to handle addtional displays.
This is a really crappy issue that AMD seriously need to fix up as its been going on for far to long now.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 20:37 
Editors
Editors

you sure its 2D Clock issed ?

Tried running Furmark in Windowed mode ? Still flickering? Then it's not 2D Clock issue!
Maybe broken Cable/monitor? or wrong refresh rate?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 17:04 

Recently I have had big issues with the 11.x drivers causing my non-primary display screens to flicker on the windows desktop a lot but never in game.
The flickering was often triggered by some sort of 2D animation, this could be as simple as scrolling down a webpage.

Using driver sweeper while in windows safe mode, I removed all the ATI drivers, rebooted and installed ati driver v10.6.
With driver 10.6 my screens no longer flickered on the windows desktop, even with overdrive enabled.
I noticed that the 2D clocks where at GPU=400MHz and Mem=1200MHz.

I decided to try and upgrade the drivers back to v11.6 again, using driver sweeper in windows safe mode to clear all of 10.6 series drivers.

Once the 11.6 drivers where instaled, I went back into ATI Overdrive and noticed that the 2D clocks where GPU=157MHz and mem=300MHz.

With Overdrive enabled on the newer drivers, my 3D clock settings would increase, but the 2D clocks would drop massively, causing my screens to flicker when in the windows desktop.

Here is some GPU-Z images for reference...

Image1: No drivers installed, no overdrive.

Image2: 10.6 drivers installed, overdrive enabled.

Image3: 11.6 drivers installed, overdrive enabled.

When using drivers 11.6 and ATI Overdrive was disabled, the 2D clocks would increase back up to the same as that of the 10.6 drivers@ 400/1200mhz.

Unfortunately the ATI drivers do not allow you to adjust the 2D clocks, even with overdrive enabled, so the way to fix this issue was to edit the profiles.xml file located in C:UsersAppDataLocalATIACEprofiles.xml

Open the file in a texteditor and search for the following lines...

These values are the 2D clock speeds and voltages that are used when Overdrive is enabled.
We need to increase these values to get rid of the flickering caused by these low speeds.

Change the values to the following...

Save the profiles.xml file and set it as read only.
Reboot your pc.
Now when using ATI Overdrive you can still achieve the higher 3D clock speeds and maintain a stable desktop with more reliable 2D clocks, using GPU=400MHz and Mem=600MHz, I had also increased the VDDC voltage from 0.950- to 1.063.

Here is the 11.6 drivers with ati overdrive enabled after the fix detailed above.

Some of you may also notice the difference in amps the card draws when changing the clock settings.
With the 2D clocks at 400/600mhz, the card appears to draw only 4.4amps, compared to 12.5amps when ati overdrive is disabled running at 400/1200mhz.