Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 08:12 

Unreal Engine 4 'Effects Cave' Tech Demo - Nvidia Surround - GTX 670 3-Way SLI:

Alright, guys! Here's Unreal's latest engine, Unreal Engine 4 running on my triple-monitor setup. This is a next-gen engine that runs on a wide range of platforms including consoles, glorious PCs, mobile platforms, and even web browsers! Check it out and let us know what you think. :triplewide:

•ASUS Rampage III Extreme•
•Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz (6-8-6-24-1T)•
•PNY GTX 670 3-Way SLI•
•Crucial M4 256GB•
•Windows 7 Home Premium 64•
•(2)Corsair HX1000 1000W PSUs•
•(3)ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920 x 1200 monitors in Nvidia Surround•

YouTubeGoogle PlusFacebookBlogger

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 03:39 
I Donated
I Donated

Intriguing. Is there a download link for this benchmark?

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 13:25 
Editors
Editors

There is one for "subscribers" on the Unreal Homepage, tough I'm not sure if subscribers = 19$ per Month.
Would be great if there was another legal way to download this.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 04:57 
Insiders
Insiders

I gave it a try - very unimpressive if they are ment to be tech demos, nothing existing high end engines haven't been able to do for years.

Seems like surround and eyefinity support is EXACTLY the same as Unreal Engine 3 - eg. upto the developer to choose how it handles FOV - defaulting to VERT- ... atleast I ended up having to pull the console down and type FOV 144

Want to keep Flawless Widescreen alive? Donate Here

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 06:37 
I Donated
I Donated

Hah, I'd rather not pay $19 a month just in order to try an average tech demo.

I really hope this isn't Epic Games' repeat of the console-centric U.E.3 engine. Although, if I know anything about Epic, it probably is. Either way, I would like to see how it fairs on my system. On the flip side, there might be features in the engine that we might not know about. (Better optimization of VRAM usage? Smoother distant texture transitions?) I'm not about to white knight Epic though.

On a side note, was SLI working?

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 07:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Amon Amarth wrote:
Hah, I'd rather not pay $19 a month just in order to try an average tech demo.

I really hope this isn't Epic Games' repeat of the console-centric U.E.3 engine. Although, if I know anything about Epic, it probably is. Either way, I would like to see how it fairs on my system. On the flip side, there might be features in the engine that we might not know about. (Better optimization of VRAM usage? Smoother distant texture transitions?) I'm not about to white knight Epic though.

On a side note, was SLI working?

I'm running a 3770K @ 4.5Ghz [not that any engine is CPU bound these days], 780Ti (Single) midly overclocked - driving 3x1920x1080 - FPS was typically below or around 40fps... and as per before - I've seen far better rendering and particle effects in existing engines. [atleast IMO]

BF4 for example would do 40-50fps on more complex scenes, the other important thing to keep in mind is that most engines are capable of what is being demo'd but they actively choose to scale it back soley to maintain performance.

Just grab the tech demos from the various links around the place - I didn't even know it required a subscription tbh with you, the links are even mirrored on some very respectable sites, hence I thought nothing of it

Want to keep Flawless Widescreen alive? Donate Here

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 09:13 
I Donated
I Donated

After looking around, I happened to find some working links.

My performance was not good at all. I have the same CPU (3770k) and I'm using two GTX 780's. FPS on highest settings was about 20 the entire time. 40 FPS on what they called "Medium." Looked around, no SLI profile for any UE4 games. (The only one out is Daylight. No SLI for that yet.)

Visually speaking, it's nice. But I've seen the CryEngine 3 do better. I suppose we will have to see what different developers will do with it, but I for one am pretty exhausted by the idea of another Unreal Engine almost rolling the game industry, with half-assed PC ports to boot. It's almost like Epic Games has an agenda against PC gaming. :roll:

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 03:48 
Editors
Editors

i've found v5 and it seems like console doesn't work there.
Tilde did not open Console and using other configuration in the input.ini did not change it