Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crimson Skies (2000)
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 21:20 

Third time's the charm, right ?

It was first requested in 2007
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=14288&p=40912
then again in 2009
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17439

There is a fix to play it on modern systems on custom resolutions, but the game is stretched, it needs a Hor+ fix:
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Crimson_Skies

Post subject: Re: Crimson Skies (2000)
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 23:40 
Insiders
Insiders

1. Attachment:
    v2_Crimson_Skies_dgV.7z [2.22 MiB]
    Downloaded 312 times

This version is for using with dgVoodoo2 wrapper. Replace CRIMSON.EXE in the game folder, depending on the desired resolution.
    Main menu uses 800x600. In addition you can force resolution through dgVoodoo, then main menu will use your custom resolution, but it will be stretched then.
    dgVoodoo2 settings:
    Spoiler:
    Attachment:
    dgv.png
    dgv.png [ 43.69 KiB | Viewed 3440 times ]

2. Attachment:
    v2_Crimson_Skies_csfix.7z [861.35 KiB]
    Downloaded 219 times

Resolution can be setup in csfix.ini
    ScreenWidth=1920
    ScreenHeight=1080

Attachments:
Crimson_Skies.jpg
Crimson_Skies.jpg [ 595.62 KiB | Viewed 3431 times ]

Last edited by jackfuste on 27 Sep 2017, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 03:39 

Great job jackfuste, thank you for yet another fix !

I have played the first level with both versions and it seems to work fine. But playing with dgVoodoo fixes some graphics issues and I recommend using that one. With the other version the menu screens appear in the top left corner and the rest of the screen flickers when you are in game and then press escape (and could cause an epileptic attack). I am using an AMD card.

I noticed that when using dgVoodoo version, when the game is launched 800x600 needs to be selected in the configuration screen, or the game crashes for me when the level loads.

Also with the dgVoodoo version, I need to force the resolution through dgVoodoo itself. I guess the modified exe sets the proper FOV, but dgVoodoo is required for the actual resolution change, am I right ?

But I need to ask something... is it possible to leave the HUD elements in the corners, like you did for Starship Troopers ? I don't mind if those are stretched, I prefer when those are in corners.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 10:49 
Insiders
Insiders

antrad wrote:
I noticed that when using dgVoodoo version, when the game is launched 800x600 needs to be selected in the configuration screen, or the game crashes for me when the level loads.

Game shouldn't crash. Remove any compatibility mode, you may setup only "disable display scaling on high dpi" in shortcut setting.

antrad wrote:
Also with the dgVoodoo version, I need to force the resolution through dgVoodoo itself. I guess the modified exe sets the proper FOV, but dgVoodoo is required for the actual resolution change, am I right ?

Forcing resolution in dgVoodoo is not required. After you leave main menu, game switches from 800x600 to resolution that you chosen from archive.

antrad wrote:
But I need to ask something... is it possible to leave the HUD elements in the corners, like you did for Starship Troopers ? I don't mind if those are stretched, I prefer when those are in corners.

1. Attachment:
    v2_Crimson_Skies_dgV_Streched_HUD.7z [2.22 MiB]
    Downloaded 217 times
  2. Attachment:
    v2_Crimson_Skies_csfix_Streched_HUD.7z [861.64 KiB]
    Downloaded 192 times

Last edited by jackfuste on 27 Sep 2017, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 19:56 

Thanks again.

Well, the dgVoodoo version does behave differently on my PC, all that I have written still stands. Now the dgVoodoo version for stretched HUD doesn't work, the HUD is still centered like before. The HUD for the other version is stretched properly.

For reference; I'm using Windows 7 64bit and have a R9 270X graphics card. I use the latest version of dgVoodoo and I have tried all the combinations of dlls and settings, and it's still the same. Who knows what could be wrong, it's still better than what we had a week ago.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 08:56 
Insiders
Insiders

antrad wrote:
Thanks again.

Well, the dgVoodoo version does behave differently on my PC, all that I have written still stands. Now the dgVoodoo version for stretched HUD doesn't work, the HUD is still centered like before. The HUD for the other version is stretched properly.

For reference; I'm using Windows 7 64bit and have a R9 270X graphics card. I use the latest version of dgVoodoo and I have tried all the combinations of dlls and settings, and it's still the same. Who knows what could be wrong, it's still better than what we had a week ago.

Are you sure that you copied file from archive with stretched hud?
I can't reproduce this.
Attachment:
crimson_dg.jpg
crimson_dg.jpg [ 216.31 KiB | Viewed 3313 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 17:42 

Yes, even checked the MD5 hashes to check if you accidentally put the same exe in your upload, then reinstalled the game, tried with and without the patch 1.2, it's weird. I will try to install the game on my mom's laptop and see what happens there.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 22:48 

Sorry it took so long, I finally installed the game on my mom's laptop and all the "issues" I had on my PC with the dgVoodoo versions are present there too:
- game crashes on level loading screen if I don't select 800x600 in the configuration window at launch
- game doesn't render in custom resolution by itself, I need to force the resolution through dgVoodoo setup program
- the HUD is not stretched in the dgVoodoo stretched HUD version

Laptop runs Windows 7 32bit and has Intel HD graphics (not sure which version, the processor is Intel Pentium 2020M). Clean install, patched to 1.2, haven't messed with compatibility settings or anything.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 19:18 
Insiders
Insiders

antrad wrote:
Sorry it took so long, I finally installed the game on my mom's laptop and all the "issues" I had on my PC with the dgVoodoo versions are present there too:
- game crashes on level loading screen if I don't select 800x600 in the configuration window at launch
- game doesn't render in custom resolution by itself, I need to force the resolution through dgVoodoo setup program
- the HUD is not stretched in the dgVoodoo stretched HUD version

Laptop runs Windows 7 32bit and has Intel HD graphics (not sure which version, the processor is Intel Pentium 2020M). Clean install, patched to 1.2, haven't messed with compatibility settings or anything.

I was able to reproduce crash. It's seems that game crashes only on Windows 7 and doesn't crash on Windows 10.
I'm looking for a way to fix crash, but it's seems it will be the same way as in csfix, so main menu will be tiny on high resolutions.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 20:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Links updated. Crash seems to be fixed, at least works for me and doesn't crash on Windows 7 anymore.