Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 08:02 

Good morning everybody.
First excuse my poor English but I'm sure you'll understand me.

Settlers 4.
There is two versions. S 4 Elixir ( the first and early one) and S 4 Gold edition finally.
S 4 with up to date graphic cards ABSOLUTELY NEEDS voodoo2 wrapper AND in the top of it , the settlers 4 widescreen patch. No patch no game.
The patch works with S4 Elixir and trojans ( S4.exe) but does not work with Gold ( S4Main.exe)

Why a lot of patches widescreen are necessary game by game and not only the wrapper voodoo ?
Voodoo is not universal. What a pity
I had asked about.

Answers

Quote:
Patching a game to wide screen is not about just stretching its output image from 4:3 aspect ratio to, say, 16:9.
That's what a wrapper can do on its own, but rendering at a larger field of view (FOV) involves modifying the projection parameters in the 3D calculations of the game.
It's a black box to the wrapper, and how 3D is calculated can vary game by game, so it cannot be generally solved on the wrapper side.
(The only exception is maybe when a game commits its 3D calcs to the D3D runtime through the fixed function vertex pipeline because D3D then knows about the matrices used.)

And

Quote:
Each game needs to be hacked in order to render more stuff, thats not something you can do with a generic patch on PC.

In fact. No widescreen patch special s4main.exe = No Gold edition launching.

Something to do ?

Thanks a lot.