Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 15:05 
Editors
Editors

As title.

We get a lot of people with problems with KotOR and the widescreen hacks; in an attempt to tidy up the dozens of thread we get (and unify any answers!) about it, please post in this thread and we'll try to help. :)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 08:24 

I'm having the same problem as some earlier posters, all the links on the page with the HUD downloads point to the same .zip file which contains files named 800x600. It's driving me freaking insane, and I only created this damn profile because I want to know how to get my game working. The HUD is in the middle of my screen and I hate it. Could someone please post a link to a functional freaking file before I pull all my damn hair out? Thanks.

EDIT: Took a look at the other files, surmised that since they're all different sizes they actually AREN'T all 800x600. Forgive the frustration, I'd been working two hours to get the game working, no dice.

Also, today I took another run at fixing my game, and started to get somewhere. I could switch to my desired 1920x1080, but the switch threw everything off. It looked like the game was trying to smash the widescreen resolution into a standard 4:3 ratio on the right side of my monitor. It also applied this change to my desktop resolution, which got annoying. Then I got the odd feeling that something familiar was going on...

As it turns out, I had a similar problem when I tried to play The Sims 3 for the first time on this rig. I finally fixed that one by monkeying with the monitor refresh rates; turns out the same thing was going on here. I don't know why games hate my monitor, but when I forced KotOR to run at a refresh rate of 59hz instead of my monitor's native 60hz, everything worked like a dream. I am now all ready to enjoy some old-school Sith whoopassin.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 22:39 

Hi all, new user here, first off thanks for the guides and support, great work on all your parts. I read through most of these posts trying to find someone else having the same problem as me but didn't see it.

I was able to run UniWS and have it patch my game, I launch the game and everything works perfect, go to Graphics and Screen Resolutions and sure enough there is my chosen resolution, 1920 x 1080, but when I click it and then hit Okay absolutely nothing happens. The box closes and goes back to the Graphics menu but the resolution does not change, it stays at what it was previously.

Am I doing something wrong or do I simply need to do the Hex Method?

Additionally I tried changing resolution with modified and unmodified swkotor.ini files to no avail.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 06:23 

Hi I haven't followed this thread but here are some hud graphics I made for 1920x1080:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0iar4u1gf97824g

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 23:59 

I have a query please , and it's actually more to do with scaling than using the widescreen hack . I play Kotor and Kotor 2 on my 1920 x 1080 monitor using a standard 4:3 ratio upscaled ( normally 1280 by 960 ) but I just experimented with the 1600 by 1200 in screen res option and that displays fine ( although obviously DOWNscaled seeing as my monitor is only 1080 rather than 1200 ) . Although it displays fine downscaled like that I'm just wondering if it is safe for my monitor to downscale games like that for prolonged sessions . I hope so because Kotor and Kotor 2 running on 1600 by 1200 downscaled looks much sharper and crisper than the upscaled res . Is it normal to be able to downscale resolutions ok as well as upscale them ? :?:

PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 14:29 

My problem is trying to run the game at 5760x1200 eyefinity. I have gotten the game to "work", but it is unplayable because the dialog prompts that normally appear at the bottom of the screen are gone.

I can hear the selected option switching when i press up or down arrows on my keyboard, or I can just hit 1,2,3, etc to select something, but I have no idea what I'm selecting. So, despite looking gorgeous at 5760x1200, its totally unplayable.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 21:09 

So, I've gotten everything working as far as the fixes go, but for some reason WSGF is always really slow on my end. My internet connection is fine, but everything on this site loads slowly for some reason. Because of that, I can't download Sweetz's 1920x1080 HUD fixes. My download just craps out. (And it's only 3 MB!)

Anyway, does anyone have a mirror of that download? Or could they re-upload it somewhere else? Because it's it's hosted here, I don't have luck with it.

Post subject: KoToR 2... why???!?
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 17:22 

So my issue is with KotoR 2, not the first one... KotoR 1, which I have on the same system, works like a dream, using the tried and true uniWS method to patch the executable.

The same method for KotoR 2 just isn't working out for me... although it is CLOSE. I'm trying to play the game at 1440x900 (or 1680x1050... although Kotor 1 plays a little too sluggish for me at that res, so I imagine the second game will as well). After I patch the game, it runs at the right resolution, except the rendered field is a small 800x600 window centered in the middle of the screen. It's like exactly how the KotoR 1 menu is when you patch it and the menu is only in a small window in the center of the screen.... except that everything around the window is black (meaning you can't bring the mouse outside of it), and when you actually start playing the game, nothing changes... the small 800x600 window remains.... :(

I did try experimenting with 1680x1050, and that also semi-worked, in that the right resolution was being output by the monitor, but this time there was some scaling going on that was smushing the window down into something like 1680x900 while keeping the 16:10 aspect ratio (in other words, there was black borders on the top and bottom... it was like aspect ratio scaling for a 16:9 resolution even though I was at 16:10... causing the graphics to get stretched out). I can assure you there is nothing funky going on in my graphics card settings for aspect ratio scaling -- it is all set to the default of "no scaling" just for troubleshooing this issue.

One strange anomaly I find after patching is that I actually have THREE 1280x960 resolutions in the in-game options... all listed at 60 Hz. Choosing any of them does not make a difference -- they all output the same.

The monitor I have is native 1680x1050, I have a Nvidia GT 430 with the latest drivers.... and yes, I've modified the swkotor2.ini's graphics and display sections so that they have the appropriate resolution in there....I've also tried the Squishy patcher and no dice...

I also have the 16x10 hud fix applied, and I have tried experimenting with the Vista .dll fix for (The OS is WIn7 x64)... with no difference. Like I say, the widescreen patchers work like a dream on Kotor 1 but on this game for the life of me I can't get it to work right for Kotor2... and I haven't heard of anyone else with the specific kind of problem I have....

Does this specific issue sound familiar to anyone else and is there any hope for getting this to work right? Thanks much for any suggestions....

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 18:00 
Editors
Editors

So my issue is with KotoR 2, not the first one...

Hey hannedog, are you using solution 1 or 2 ?

http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/star-wars-knights-old-republic-ii-sith-lords

Post subject: thales100 wrote:hannedog
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 21:33 

[quote]So my issue is with KotoR 2, not the first one...

Hey hannedog, are you using solution 1 or 2 ?

http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/star-wars-knights-old-republic-ii-sith-lords

Hey thanks for the response. I've tried both. Both methods have essentially had the same results (although sometimes solution 2 appears to do nothing and the resolution 1280x960 appears to be.... 1280x960...)