Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual-Monitor Help
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 23:37 

Hello,

I was referred to this site by a friend. He tells me that you guys know all there is to know about multi-monitor gaming :)

I have been attempting for weeks (unsuccessfully) to get a precise dual-monitor setup working for an MMO. Basically, I want to play an MMO (Wildstar) across 2 monitors. Here is the catch; I would like for the 2nd monitor to only extend my peripheral vision. I don't want the bezel going straight down the middle of the game. Below is a picture of what I am going for. You will notice that instead of splitting the game down the middle it has only extended the peripheral vision. It would basically look like 3 monitors minus the left or right monitor.

I have attempted to use Surround but apparently it only supports a minimum of 3 monitors. I would gladly switch to AMD and Eyefinity if I knew that it would work. I have posted topics in multiple forums asking about Eyefinity but have yet to get a response. I have also attempted to use SoftTH but can't seem to get it working.

At this point I would honestly be willing to pay or donate some cash if someone will help me. If there are any takers please let me know and I will provide you with more details.

All help is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Dual-Monitor Help
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 03:40 
Editors
Editors

Hi,
Yes it is true that AMD does work with two Monitors and Surround only works with three.

But on a normal eyefinty setup it would be centered, aka bezel in the middle.

With conventional methods there is no way (maybe SoftTH idk.) to get it running like that.
What you need is a simulated third Monitor.
Idk if this is possible via software but there are Hardware dummy plugs that simulate a Monitor. Then you could setup a 3x1 and just have 2 Working monitors.(Warning, this will render 3monitors and therefore use way more GPU power.)

P.s deleted your double post :)
And :welcome

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 03:54 

Haldi wrote:
Hi,
Yes it is true that AMD does work with two Monitors and Surround only works with three.

But on a normal eyefinty setup it would be centered, aka bezel in the middle.

With conventional methods there is no way (maybe SoftTH idk.) to get it running like that.
What you need is a simulated third Monitor.
Idk if this is possible via software but there are Hardware dummy plugs that simulate a Monitor. Then you could setup a 3x1 and just have 2 Working monitors.(Warning, this will render 3monitors and therefore use way more GPU power.)

P.s deleted your double post :)
And :welcome

Thanks a ton for the reply.

I have been trying SoftTH all day and can't seem to get it work. I keep getting a direct X error message when I try to run it. I have posted on the SoftTH forums but have yet to get any support.

The simulated monitor is actually a great idea - I had not thought of this at all. You say that it renders 3 monitors; Do you know how it renders the dummy monitor? Does it render the exact same display on your main monitor? Does it render blank space? Or does it render whatever would actually be on a real 3rd monitor if you had one?

Again the help is much appreciated. I have already gotten farther by posting here than I have from about 5 other forums.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 12:08 
Administrators
Administrators

Nexrus wrote:
The simulated monitor is actually a great idea - I had not thought of this at all. You say that it renders 3 monitors; Do you know how it renders the dummy monitor? Does it render the exact same display on your main monitor? Does it render blank space? Or does it render whatever would actually be on a real 3rd monitor if you had one?
From what I understood of the feature it would create a 3rd virtual monitor that you don't physically see and render what would have been on the 3rd monitor into this virtual space, thus the game would behave as if it was using 3 displays when your only using the centre and a single side monitor.

Nexrus wrote:
Again the help is much appreciated. I have already gotten farther by posting here than I have from about 5 other forums.
Glad we could help. :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 12:27 
Editors
Editors

The easiest way to use a dummy adapter would be to modify a VGA adapter, because it's analog you don't get an EDID signal and can create a fake profile on your Pc.
If you buy a digital Dummy Display Adapter you will get an EDID signal and can modify it with something like Toasty's Custom Resolution Utility to the same like your other two Monitors.

But I have to say I never tried this and I don't know anyone who got it working like that.
I just read somewhere that it should work like that!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2014, 16:37 

Thanks again for the help.

I am going to make a trip to Radio Shack first thing tomorrow morning and buy some resistors. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 02:54 
Administrators
Administrators

Do any of your monitors have a spare input that you could use?
For example if the monitors have both DVI and VGA input, the monitor would be detected on both but you would only need to use 1 of the inputs. :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 05:24 

Delphium wrote:
Do any of your monitors have a spare input that you could use?
For example if the monitors have both DVI and VGA input, the monitor would be detected on both but you would only need to use 1 of the inputs. :)

This worked like a charm. I honestly can't believe it ended up being that simple. After hooking up the AVI cable, the system recognized it as a 3rd monitor, which allowed me to enable Surround. This pretty much accomplishes exactly what I wanted. The only drawback is that my card will still render graphics across 3 displays which will eat up some resources. I think it probably would have done the same thing with a dummy plug? A small price to pay to get what I wanted.

I guess my trip to Radioshack is cancelled. Thanks a lot for the help :)

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 12:03 
Administrators
Administrators

:rockout:
Indeed a virtual or dummy display would still have caused your GPU to render in this space.

Good to see your up and running, enjoy ;)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2014, 04:26 
Editors
Editors

thats a genious idea! Didn't even think that this might work :twothumb: