Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2012, 07:52 

Bump for a game that I think deserves the extra resolution :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 04:02 

First off, BF1942 DOES work with eyefinity properly with the right exe file. (see link below)

I have recently been playing around with this again. I still can't get it any higher than 2400x600... I did find the original forums where the eyefinity bf1942.exe file came from. http://www.forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=46013

When I run the game, it has a video option for 2400x600 in the selection. I have tried to override it by editing the video.con, but it always seems to default to 2400x600. FOV is correct, but I know that there is a way to have this running at a higher resolution.

If there's anyone out there with the knowledge on how to edit the resolution or the exe file as chr_79 did, please let me know. I have played around a bit with hex editors, but that stuff is beyond me.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 18:56 
Insiders
Insiders

BladeParker wrote:
Is there any way to fix this to run at a higher res?

Game can be run at a higher resolution. What resolution you needed?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 03:34 

jackfuste wrote:
BladeParker wrote:
Is there any way to fix this to run at a higher res?

Game can be run at a higher resolution. What resolution you needed?

I'm trying to run it at 5760 x 1080 if that will work.
Thanks.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 08:38 
Insiders
Insiders

BladeParker wrote:
I'm trying to run it at 5760 x 1080 if that will work.
Thanks.

Fix for Battlefield 1942 v.1.61b
- All supported resolutions are available in the game menu

For 16:10/16:9 - available from the PC Gaming Wiki Community Files (search there)

For 48:10/48:9 - available from the PC Gaming Wiki Community Files (search there)

Last edited by jackfuste on 20 Jul 2015, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 10:12 
Administrators
Administrators

Oh nice one! I might even have to crack this old gem out for a re-run. My brother and I were playing BF Vietnam only the other day!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 11:28 

You have brought a tear to my eye... Thank you!
Why are these not available or mentioned on the WSGF wiki?

[edit]
This works great but there is a pop in effect in flight with trees and buildings. Some land textures drop out as well. Is there a fix for that? I have searched online and not had much luck. The view distance doesn't fix it (over 100%) and the init.con file doesn't contain the distance info for terrain rendering. Everything seems ok on land. These are minor but let me know if there's a fix for it.

Thanks again for the links!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 03:53 

jackfuste wrote:
BladeParker wrote:
This works great but there is a pop in effect in flight with trees and buildings. Some land textures drop out as well. Is there a fix for that? I have searched online and not had much luck. The view distance doesn't fix it (over 100%) and the init.con file doesn't contain the distance info for terrain rendering. Everything seems ok on land. These are minor but let me know if there's a fix for it.

I added additional fixes for objects clipping. Test please - Object_clipping_test_BF1942.exe

[Edit*]
This mod was crashing to desktop for me. I tested both the clipping error exe and the new one. I had originally put the 3 mod.dll files in the correct folders as per the archive file. After some more testing, I replaced all the original files to test again, but now it was not working at all.

I have now been using ONLY the exe file with the clipping fixed with original install mod.dll files and it seems to be working well now without crashing. I should have tried that to start perhaps?

I will keep you posted. Thanks!!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:38 
Insiders
Insiders

BladeParker wrote:
This mod was crashing to desktop for me. I tested both the clipping error exe and the new one. I had originally put the 3 mod.dll files in the correct folders as per the archive file. After some more testing, I replaced all the original files to test again, but now it was not working at all.

I have now been using ONLY the exe file with the clipping fixed with original install mod.dll files and it seems to be working well now without crashing. I should have tried that to start perhaps?

I will keep you posted. Thanks!!

Check windows event log for fault offset. If "Fault offset: 0x002016fb", then it's a 100% game bug, and not caused by widescreen fix.
The best advice I can give, run game game in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode, this should help to minimize crashes.
BladeParker wrote:
thanks for your help Jackfuste. Can you let me know what program you used on the exe file? I would love to learn more about this.
Thanks.

OllyDbg
To learn how to use a debugger, I recommend to explore - http://ricardonarvaja.info/
These guides are specific to cracking programs, but they provide a good knowledge base that is needed to create a widescreen fixes.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 08:39 

Thanks Jack.

This is on a clean install and I updated my CCC video drivers. There's nothing else on my PC but the bare minimum. I just found out that the new video drivers are causing issues for many people, so it was a mistake on my part to test this way. I think I have a backup of some old drivers around so I will give them a go.

Thanks!