Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 00:04 

OK, I've been trying to get this game to run @ 1360x768, but it just won't work.
There's no Display.cfg in the game folder, only Autoexec.cfg, I modified some lines (screen width & height) though nothing happens, the game continues to show up @ 1024x768. The only thing that did work was the FoV.
Can anyone help me with this? I really want to play this game widscreen (FYI, game is patched to latest version).

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010, 20:37 

There's supposed to be a display.cfg file, and if there isn't then something is wrong. It might be because you're running the game in Vista/7 without giving the game Administrator privileges. If you don't do that, the game will not create/write out changes made to the game's settings.

As for how to get it working in widescreen, read this topic:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18452

It explains how to best make CJ work in widescreen, short of hacking the game.

I may eventually get around to making a widescreen mod for the NOLF games like I did for TRON 2.0, but it will be a while.

TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod - Adds 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen support, game fixes, and much more

BenQ EW2420 | XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB GDDR5 | EVGA GT240 512 MB GDDR5 (Hybrid PhysX) | Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE 3.3 GHz | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 |

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | PCP&C Silencer 750W Quad | Coolermaster Elite 330 case | Windows 10 Technical Preview

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2010, 01:06 

Thanks for replying.
Yes, I'm running Windows 7 x64.
Now, here comes the noob question (you'll probably laugh at me): How do I give the game Admin privileges? Do I have to reinstall the game? (I recently upgraded to W7 so I have plenty to learn after almost 8 years running WXP).

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 00:55 

How do I give the game Admin privileges? Do I have to reinstall the game?
Nope, no need to re-install.

Right click the shortcut icon for Contract JACK in your start menu, task bar, or desktop. Click the Compatibility tab. You should see a checkbox labelled "Run this program as an administrator". Put a checkmark in it and click OK. Now the game will start with Administrator privileges.

A lot of games, especially older ones, expect to be able to do whatever they want with no restrictions. On XP, your user account was set to have Admin privileges by default so this never mattered. But starting with Vista, user accounts do not have Admin privileges by default and programs are restricted in what they can do (in the name of security).

So a number of games start having problems because of these new restrictions, and they don't always crash or give an error message to let you know about this. They just start behaving oddly.

TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod - Adds 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen support, game fixes, and much more

BenQ EW2420 | XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB GDDR5 | EVGA GT240 512 MB GDDR5 (Hybrid PhysX) | Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE 3.3 GHz | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 |

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | PCP&C Silencer 750W Quad | Coolermaster Elite 330 case | Windows 10 Technical Preview

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 05:04 

The posted solution (http://www.wsgf.org/dr/contract-jack/en) doesn't work. It crashes when you run the below commandline:

Code:
+fovx 106.260208 +fovy 78.0 +fovxinterface 106.260208 +pvmodelfov 65 +pvmodelaspect 1.599954 +ScreenWidth 1920 +ScreenHeight 1200

I can't seem to use a widescreen resolution with this game. Anyone have a fix for it? I've tried everything.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 07:45 

I can confirm that both the widescreen mod by itself as well as the widescreen part of the weapontest13 mod do not work properly with this game.

Entering a screen width of 1920 and height of 1080 in the command line parameters prior to booting the game for the most common monitor resolution of the modern day causes it to crash to desktop. This can be easily mitigated by entering 1920 x 1079 or 1081 but it's still ridiculous.

But that's not even the worst part, every time you boot the game your resolution setting is reverted back to whatever the minimum is depending on which mod you use. You have to manually enter the options menu and change it back every single time you play otherwise it defaults to either 640x480 (widescreen mod) or 800x600 (weapontest13 mod). If you don't the lowest default resolution is stretched over a 16:9 aspect ratio which looks awful.

Also for whatever reason, the 1920x1080 setting in the options menu is only available with the weapontest13 mod which means if you want that resolution you have to play with alternate weapons that didn't come with the game in it's vanilla state. If using the widescreen mod by itself the highest available resolution in the game options menu is 1280x960 applied to a 16:9 aspect ratio, although both are playable the menu/loading screens end up with either the sides or bottom cut off.

As much as I appreciate the work that goes into these mods, these are both very poorly implemented. The widescreen mods for both NOLF and NOLF 2 are vastly superior and granted the game engine for NOLF 2 and Contract J.A.C.K. are nearly identical I'm not sure why this is the case...

It's very disappointing.