Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 17:26 
Editors
Editors

Minor cosmetic fixes for Tiny & Big done primarily for 3x1L resolutions: Files available from the PC Gaming Wiki Community Files (search there)

The archive contains replacements for some files in Tiny and Big - Grandpas Leftovers\tinyandbig\assets\bin\dds\ (don't forget to make backups !)

1) Remove screen smudge & vignette

In outdoor areas, a translucent smudgy texture is spread over the graphics to give them a dirty finish. Problem is, this texture stretches in Multi-monitor and the resulting noise is a bit overwhelming.
Indoors (i.e mostly on level 5) the smudge is replaced by a vignette effect. All it does in TripleWide is obscure some of the text bubbles.

The following modified files will resolve all or part of these issues at your convenience:

poeff_vignette.dds (outdoors, noise over gameplay and short cut-scenes)
default...

fixed...

poeff_vignette_inside.dds (indoors, black fade around the edges of the picture)
default...

fixed...

poeff_vignette_intro.dds (noise over the intro/menu and long cut-scenes. It looks pretty good actually.)
default...

fixed...

Alternatively, you can replace vignette and vignette_inside with copies of the original vignette_intro. This way the game will keep a dusty, rugged look without hindering visibility:

2) Fix loading screen art

The pillarboxing is not perfect, loading percentage and "press any key" are still missing, but at least the pretty pictures are not Vert- anymore.

default...

fixed...

3) Things that were not fixed, for a reason

- The UI is spanned. This humble non-mod can do nothing about it.
- Intro logos are Vert-, they don't seem to be stored with the other textures.
- Background art on level outcome (loading_levelend.dds) is Vert-. No point fixing it since the data remains cut-off.
- Reality Boy's screen frame (poeff_vignette_retro.dds) and the Laser Games loading screen (poeff_vignette_retro_filled.dds) stretch. It makes sense to keep the FOV Hor+ in VR levels.
If the frame bothers you, copy the modified vignette_intro and rename it to vignette_retro to remove it completely.

4) That's all

~ No underpants were used as headgear during the creation of this minimod ~

THE RADIO says: That's probably why it sucks.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 00:18 
Editors
Editors

Nice work, scavv. This is one of the few games I've completed in the recent years. Will definitely try the mods on the next go. :onethumb:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 13:00 
Editors
Editors

Years pass and The Modding Legend always has a kind word for my stupid stuff <:*)

Happy to beat the odds ! I loved the demo back in the day, yet it took a 1$ sale for me to finally pull the trigger... cheap beasteard.