Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: The new 0.3 version is
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 07:39 

The new 0.3 version is triggering my NOD32 AV alert when I try to download it.

No alert was given for the 0.2 version btw. And I know it's a bit foolish to ask if it's a false positive to someone who actually created the program (what else will they say anyway) but I just want to know why the new version's triggering an alert while the old one didn't. Did the new re-write from scratch use some tools that can trigger alerts?

Post subject: mofo wrote:The new 0.3
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 08:51 

The new 0.3 version is triggering my NOD32 AV alert when I try to download it.

No alert was given for the 0.2 version btw. And I know it's a bit foolish to ask if it's a false positive to someone who actually created the program (what else will they say anyway) but I just want to know why the new version's triggering an alert while the old one didn't. Did the new re-write from scratch use some tools that can trigger alerts?

0.2 Didn't use the same obfuscator no, I don't see what the problem is though it's just identifying the packer:
MSIL = Microsoft Intermediate Language
Packed w/ CryptoObfuscator

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 10:48 

Yeah, I figured that because of what the packer did (which going by the name makes it so its actions are hidden) that NOD32 was being extra cautious. Just wanted to have it confirmed.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 18:34 

Virus total have the same findings
zip: https://www.virustotal.com/file/c353f4496d04baece4d2dede6f38c77c41a3e888c0300d3513d0f35f6076cf30/analysis/1349793992/
unzipped exe: https://www.virustotal.com/file/6916e14cffbb6a40f330b02c95d00684f80f12a297f3f4846a13d3185a239dbd/analysis/1349794028/

but why don't you simply release the code to a github/googlecode/whatever

open source doesn't require suspiciousness and virus checks, instead you even obfuscated the code :/

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 22:36 

Meh I'm not going to change the way I do things to appease the paranoia of others, take it or leave it.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 23:32 

Meh I'm not going to change the way I do things to appease the paranoia of others, take it or leave it.

not saying i'm not appreciating your work, nor that i do not understand your reasons, but by forcing your users running a process with amministrative rights which looks into a game which hold credit card informations and which code isn't open and reviewed by anyone except you is not paranoia, is just a worst practice, and should be avoided.

Would i know you better, and trust you, i'd be more inclined to trust your code as well, but since this is not the case i'd follow your latter suggetion.

Would you change idea, could you at least consider releasing the code only to the admin responsible of this forum where your software is published, to be reviewed by his trusted people, so at least he could say it isn't harmful in any way and that he is ok by publishing it here on his own right responsibility.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 05:21 

[quote]Meh I'm not going to change the way I do things to appease the paranoia of others, take it or leave it.

not saying i'm not appreciating your work, nor that i do not understand your reasons, but by forcing your users running a process with administrative rights which looks into a game which hold credit card information and which code isn't open and reviewed by anyone except you is not paranoia, is just a worst practice, and should be avoided.

Would i know you better, and trust you, i'd be more inclined to trust your code as well, but since this is not the case i'd follow your latter suggestion.

Would you change idea, could you at least consider releasing the code only to the admin responsible of this forum where your software is published, to be reviewed by his trusted people, so at least he could say it isn't harmful in any way and that he is ok by publishing it here on his own right responsibility.

GW2 runs with elevated privileges thus my tool must also, I'm not forcing anyone, it's the only option thanks to UAC. The GW2 client does not hold your CC data so I don't understand the concern there.

There was enough interest in the tool for me to build a standalone tool for the widescreen gamers community who I've gotten plenty of help/tools from over the years so it's nice to give something back.

I release the code to my tools when I am unwilling/unable to maintain them anymore, I think that's fair and that's my final word on the matter, so again take it, leave it, or reinvent the wheel and code your own.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2012, 23:14 

Hey M, awesome tool, I like the new version's improvements.

If possible, could we get a couple more features that would make it a little easier to use:

* A tick box next to the FOV for "auto-set at startup" (after scanning)
* The ability for the program to remember whatever FOV we last put into the box between runs.

Anyway, great work, this makes the game so much nicer to play instead of it being Look At The Ground Wars 2.

Edit: I wanted to mention also that I think as long as your Guild Wars 2 install is located in a user-level directory, the camera tool probably won't need admin rights. I have GW2 in UsersmeDocumentsGamesGW2 and it never needed admin rights.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 01:22 

Yeah those things should be easy to implement, great idea, I'll do it after the weekend. I'll auto load on startup, but do you want a save button or should I have it so when the app is closed is saves whatever settings are current.

You may be right about the directory thing, I think UAC has some effect too(for me anyway) It's easier to just ask for admin rights though so I ensure everyone is on the same page & can eliminate that as an issue.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 15:25 

Seems like the latest patch (11th October) broke this tool? It stays at "Scanning" all the time now and the values can't be changed. Playing the game without the tool now is such a drag btw, it feels so cramped. Hope you can work around whatever is blocking it from working.

On the positive side, my account has not been banned. So even though Anet for some unknown reason doesn't like us having a proper FoV, it seems they won't ban you for using tools that do increase your FoV. Or maybe they're just biding their time, who knows. Either way, I really hope this tool gets updated to work with the patch, missing it so much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next