Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 21:26 

This is sad, really.

Microsoft has officially canceled the PC version of former PC exclusive Alan Wake, which should surprise no one. They want everyone to have an Xbox, they want to rule the livingroom, this is no surprise. What IS a surprise is their fake reason for not releasing the game on PC:

“Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience “Alan Wake” was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/12/alans-wake-remedy-ditch-pc-version/

Now, that sounds just like something I would read on a gaming forum about why the PC sucks, "Dude I want to plays it on my awesum HDTV with my couch!", followed by something about spending $2,000 a month on PC hardware. If you can't just say "we want you to buy an Xbox" then just shut up about it, they didn't feel the need to make some ignorant comment about couches and TVs when they ignored Fable 2 and Halo 3 potential on PC.

Also, of course, you can play PC games on a TV from a couch if you wanted to.

It really is a scary thought that the makers of Windows are some of the worst enemies of PC gaming. Bizarro world!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 22:15 

“Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience “Alan Wake” was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform.”

I haven't come across an excuse that pathetic since I got into bars underage with my fake ID that classified me as a corporate biotech research scientist. :D

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 07:01 
Insiders
Insiders

That's pretty stupid. Oh look, an eye-roll emoticon: :roll:

Thankfully, I've already lost most of my interest in the game.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 08:41 

I saw this tonight on a game website... it really angers me and I agree it is kinda scary that microsoft hates the pc for games. The sexbox 360 cant delivar the goods ;.. I dont want to play at 720p.. I was looking forward to this game a bit.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 12:31 

I'm so close to completely losing it. Been following Alan Wake for about 5 years. Only game i've actually ever really bothered to stick around on the forums for asides from ones complaining about bugs/DRM.

BUT...

I'm not taking that statement from MS as official until one of the RMD devs says that there is no longer any hope of a PC version.

So still crossing my fingers in hope for a post release 9 months Alan Wake PC version...

Though i do understand that the chances of that happening are quickly dwindling. :cry:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 12:55 
Editors
Editors

I haven't come across an excuse that pathetic since I got into bars underage with my fake ID that classified me as a corporate biotech research scientist. :D

:lol:

I never once got asked for ID when I was underage... I got carded once when I was 20 (legal drinking age 18 here...) and it wasn't even for buying booze (or any of the other myriad of things that you need an age check for here...)

However, back on topic... yeah, it's pathetic of Microsoft.

It makes me wonder what the point of that sad excuse of a "PC Gaming Alliance" is for - it's mostly composed of developers and publishers who couldn't care less about the PC. But Alan Wake I've been getting more and more dubious of each time a new bit of info has crept out about it.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 20:10 

It makes me wonder what the point of that sad excuse of a "PC Gaming Alliance" is for - it's mostly composed of developers and publishers who couldn't care less about the PC.

I honestly forgot that thing even existed. I hope they're not getting paid anything.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 04:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Wow really microsoft? Why don't you want to juggle to gaming platforms? Every other major game company (that produces hardware) has two or more. Honestly, it's really bad as a lot of people who play on the pc, also have a console. I personally went to pc because my xbox couldn't deliver what a pc could. I still buy games for my xbox as well as on pc, so why good microsoft are you being so utterly retarded?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 07:36 

Wow really microsoft? Why don't you want to juggle to gaming platforms? Every other major game company (that produces hardware) has two or more. Honestly, it's really bad as a lot of people who play on the pc, also have a console. I personally went to pc because my xbox couldn't deliver what a pc could. I still buy games for my xbox as well as on pc, so why good microsoft are you being so utterly retarded?

I really think it has to do with a long-term agenda of theirs for the living room. Closed systems, account-based ownership... that is where they want to go. The PC is probably seen by the decision makers as something they need to move beyond before they are left behind, that is how they justify spending billions on these consoles despite getting little profit: it's an investment in the future.

On the surface it's like "why can't you release games on both and let those who want ease of use get the console version and those who prefer dealing with issues and hardware for better versions get the PC version?" It makes sense really, support both vastly different platforms seperately and make money off both.

But I think they have a decades long agenda this is only part of.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 11:38 

Perhaps it's because it's not really my kind of game, but all I've seen of it so far together with the now defunct pc version only brings this to my mind: good ridance, one less stinker for the pc's reputation.