Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 May 2024, 17:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NXE Update!
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 07:23 

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/17/new-xbox-experience-now-available-for-everyone/

So I got it an hour ago, pretty frickin' sweet. 1680x1050 support is <3 (there's 1440x900 too, of course). It outputs two black bars at the top and bottom to make it 16:9.

FINALLY, MY CIRCLES ARE CIRCLES AGAIN

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 09:02 
Editors
Editors

Hmm, I didn't know you could apply to get it early. Ah well, I'll just wait till tomorrow. I can't wait to install games on my hdd. I friggin hate noise and loadtimes. :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 20:18 

AWESOME, the Guide is fast in-game now. The mini-Blades are sweet too.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 00:19 
Editors
Editors

Hmm, I didn't know you could apply to get it early. Ah well, I'll just wait till tomorrow. I can't wait to install games on my hdd. I friggin hate noise and loadtimes. :lol:

There was a test that showed load times not significantly effected by HDD installs. Some games were the same, some were slightly slower, some slightly faster (things like the Orange Box, that are PC to console conversions).

But no disc noise is always a good thing! ;)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 02:29 

AWESOME, the Guide is fast in-game now. The mini-Blades are sweet too.

FINALLY!

I've been waiting for a fast in-game Guide to at last quickly mute those pre-pubescent causes for all destruction in society!

[quote]Hmm, I didn't know you could apply to get it early. Ah well, I'll just wait till tomorrow. I can't wait to install games on my hdd. I friggin hate noise and loadtimes. :lol:

There was a test that showed load times not significantly effected by HDD installs. Some games were the same, some were slightly slower, some slightly faster (things like the Orange Box, that are PC to console conversions).

But no disc noise is always a good thing! ;)From what I saw the HDD initial load times were about ten seconds faster, while the in-game load times were decreased each by about a second or two.

Not much, but some games (*cough MASS EFFECT cough*) could really use the boost.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 09:25 
Editors
Editors

Not much, but some games (*cough MASS EFFECT cough*) could really use the boost.

Not to mention Fable II. The game sometimes even stutters when it's loading while playing. I think Fable could really benefit from a hdd install.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 14:43 
Editors
Editors

From what I saw the HDD initial load times were about ten seconds faster, while the in-game load times were decreased each by about a second or two.

I'll point you in the direction of the article I saw, now I've found it again.

Not having a 360, I can't speak from experience, so YMMV, as always. ;)

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11/12/xbox-360-hdd-loading-gives-minimal-benefits/1

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 17:33 

From what I remember, Fable II definitely showed some improvements when installed (MTV article iirc). Much needed, seeing as how it gets raeped by the drive when you play; that thing does NOT stop reading, ever. I'd say Fallout 3 is fine w/o install though. I'm not sure when it ever reads from that disc.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 17:36 
Founder
Founder

Just installed the NXE for me. Very nice. I'm really stoked about the Netflix integration.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 18:14 

Just installed the NXE for me. Very nice. I'm really stoked about the Netflix integration.

And blocked access to any sony pix?